Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garbage disposal

On Apr 15, 12:13*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
" wrote:
On Apr 15, 9:38*am, Red wrote:
OK guys, I need a recommendation for good one. *The original one died
a few years ago and I replaced it with an Insinkerator. *That thing
just isn't grinding fine enough and I'm getting way too many
blockages. *The material in the blockage is more big & coarse than the
original produced. *It must be the blades causing the problem, and
they do spin free. *Anyone know of a better model?

I looked into this a few months ago, looked at a lot of
reviews, etc. *Decided Waste King was the best value deal.
They have a long in home warranty, longer than Insinkerator,
and a lot less money. *This one replaced a basic Insinkerator
that a builder installed, lasted only 6 years. *The WK was
about $100 versus $180 for an Insinkerator.

Same conclusion I reached last fall. * I got 10 years out of my last
insinkerator, but couldn't find another 3/4hp one.

The Waste king is 3/4hp, 8 yr warranty & was $108, delivered to my
door from buyplumbing.net.

I also have a better model Insinkerator, about 5 years old now
and it's been fine. * The biggest difference between the two is that
the Insinkerator is quieter. *The Waste King makes a lot of noise
when you first install it and it starts up. *Makes a loud clang/bang,
which must be the cutting heads spinning out or something. *But,
with food actually in it, it's less noisey. *Still, it makes more
noise

Mine is *different* sounding than the old insinkerator, but I couldn't
call it noisier-- though I'm comparing to an 8yr old dying one.

The other thing that's different, Insinkerator uses a neat flange
design so that you install the flange, then the disposal just goes
underneath and you turn a lock ring to secure it. *MAkes it easier
to hang. * The WK uses a rubber mounting piece with clamps, so
you have to hold/support the unit and then tighten the clamps.

We agree on that count, too. * * *but the WK was easier to put in than
it looked like it was going to be from the directions.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Good the hear you had similar thoughts. I don't know about
your WK, but one other difference between my WK and
the Insinkerator is that the WK came with a pre-attached cord. Since
mine was direct wire, I had to remove the cord
and then direct wire it in. No big deal, but it added a bit to
the process.