Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default How do you 'unstick' a seized Garbage Disposal Unit?

On 12/12/2014 04:52 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
Have an Insinkerator(sp?) garbage disposal unit in the kitchen.

Badger 1-83A with a power cord.

The kitchen sink was not used very often, and the disposal not run for a
while, suspect rusted 'solid'

Called 800 558 5700 and was told the wrench should enable to unstick [it
did not] and don't recommend using any chemicals. Probably have to
replace. Ok, so if I have to replace what do I lose by simply trying
chemicals?

Does anybody know some way to unstick this thing?

maybe muriatic acid to eat rust, or Whink, HF acid, or ?? I tried
lengthening the short 1/4 inch allen wrench to about a foot, but still
solid.

Any ideas? I even tried the 800 ft-lb 'hammer wrench' feature of
Rockewell's 3Rill drill to no avail. May have started to strip the allen
wrench hole, though.

With the power off, see if there is anything stuck that could be pulled
out with a pliers. If not, since you cannot turn it with the Allen
wrench...time for a new one. Sounds like the motor is ceased.