Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default How do you 'unstick' a seized Garbage Disposal Unit?

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
newsp.xqr1tnog2cx0wh@ajm...

The kitchen sink was not used very often, and the disposal not run for a
while, suspect rusted 'solid'

I've had some luck with a spray rust penetrant (one of the new variations of
WD-40) and using a broom handle through the drain hole at an angle to try
rotating the blades. The handle gives a lot of leverage. I'd let the
penetrant soak as long as I could if you think it's "rust welded."
Reversing rotation direction with the broom handle might give you an idea if
there's something wedged into the blade assembly. It might move slightly in
one direction if there's a blockage. Use a broom or broom handle that's
expendable. They can snap in half if you've got good arm strength.

--
Bobby G.