Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default How do you 'unstick' a seized Garbage Disposal Unit?

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 11:24:51 AM UTC-5, Robert Macy wrote:
On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 04:47:38 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

...snip...

I assume you tried moving it in both directions? If it's not just
rusted, but had something stuck in it, then it might only go in the
reverse direction. If that much force won't loosen it up, I'd say it's
shot. Unlikely even if you get it to move that it will free up enough
to work right or last much longer. If I were going to try something,
I guess some light oil poured in and allowed to sit for a couple days
might do something, but I tend to doubt you'll resurect it. Also, how
old is it? If it's 10+, that's more than you can expect. I see new
basic ones going in just 895 years.

yes, both directions. motor hums when switch is activated [very short
period of time]

it was made May 2008 and intalled in new home that we moved into circa
2011, so wasn't really used much. Then, we ran from time to time, once in
a while, but since we are on septic [expensive double tank septic!] we
don't like to put much down it and rely upon our trash service instead.
Then, went through a spate of not really using the sink, or exercising the
GD, so thus it seized up [I'm thinking]

895 years?! not bad.

Since you're likely buying a new one, here's my 2 cents. I have
an Insinkerator that's about 6 years old now, still working fine.
I recently installed a WasteKing. They are made in USA, a lot cheaper.
I paid around $95, the similar Insink would have cost twice that.
WK has a lifetime warranty, in home, I believe. How good they are
honoring it, IDK. I have to say the Insink is a lot quieter, both
when running, but especially when it starts up. The WK has a loud,
nasty bang when the blades move out, I guess. After that, it's still
noisier, but my main beef is that initial bang. Overall, I'm OK with
it for the price difference.

Only other tips I have are that some models used to have and maybe
some still have the ability to remove the rubber guard ring. That's
good for when you want to clean it or drop something in to give your
hand more room. Old Insink had that, new one the rubber guard is not
removable. On WK, I'm not sure, I think it doesn't come out either.
I also noticed a difference in the quality of the finish on the stainless
ring that you see in the bottom of the sink. Some models, the ring
had a nicer, shinier finish, if that's a concern.