Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default How do you 'unstick' a seized Garbage Disposal Unit?

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
newsp.xqu7b5h82cx0wh@ajm...
wrote:

....snip...
I've had some luck with a spray rust penetrant (one of the new

variations of
WD-40) and using a broom handle through the drain hole at an angle to

try
rotating the blades. The handle gives a lot of leverage.

stuff snipped

Thanks for the tip. I actually have 'broken' two crescent wrenches and a
screwdriver shaft - not prying, but twisting.

Sounds like it's very nicely rust-welded. Or jammed. There should be
slight wiggle in at least one direction if jammed but none if fused by rust.
I have managed to move the stuck cutter head with a broomstick when the
little wrench did nothing - just not enough leverage.

I will look for this 'enhanced' WD-40

I was afraid to even mention it since the mere appearance of those five
characters causes at least *someone* to go into a titter. (-"

I used to use naptha and machine oil but that's a bit dangerous inside a
home.

I seem to recall you said you had a "delicate" septic system. I would be
sure to disconnect the GD if the penetrating spray fails before running any
water through it to keep the goop out of the septic tank. If the spray
manages to free it, you could disconnect it from the waste pipe and flush it
into a bucket but I suspect that's not going to be a problem. Based on what
you've tried, it sounds stuck tight.

When these suckers freeze, they usually stay frozen. Even worse I've had
one apart, oiled and cleaned everything and two weeks later it seized again.
We live without one now and hardly miss it. There's enough crap that goes
into the public waste water - they don't need ours, too. It was nasty
enough work that I would just replace one that was more than a few years old
if we still used one.

Not as bad as the weekend I spent disassembling a GF's washing machine to
uncoil some pantyhose that had been sucked into the impeller and stretched
to about 30' wrapped around the impeller shaft. Got it working and when I
came by later in the week, it was gone and she had bought and installed a
new machine. I guess she had no confidence in the machine anymore since
some stray grease got unto one of her white blouses after the very nasty
repair. (-:

--
Bobby G.