Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's a good top-loading washer?

I pulled out the machine today (GE WHRE5550K1WW) expecting to see water, which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the same as with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking transmission seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell, by the way....) I don't know exactly how old this one is, but I have a note that I called GE in 2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.

For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80) or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired, they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was ($250 plus installation).

There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus installation).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Sep 2014 13:33:15 -0700, "Guv Bob"

Dang if I know. I'd buy or look at Speed Queen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Sep 2014 15:11:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I like my LG.

What happened with your water heater?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2014 4:33 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
I pulled out the machine today (GE WHRE5550K1WW) expecting to see water, which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the same as with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking transmission seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell, by the way....) I don't know exactly how old this one is, but I have a note that I called GE in 2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.

For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80) or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired, they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was ($250 plus installation).

There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus installation).

I like our Maytag Centennial but it is only maybe 3 years old so who
knows what might develop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/08/2014 03:33 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
I pulled out the machine today (GE WHRE5550K1WW) expecting to see water, which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the same as with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking transmission seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell, by the way....) I don't know exactly how old this one is, but I have a note that I called GE in 2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.

For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80) or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired, they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was ($250 plus installation).

There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus installation).

I bought a Maytag in 1988 and it still works perfectly and has never
needed any repair or maintenance.

It's one of those "no frills" units. I seriously doubt if anyone needs
all those bells and whistles.

I paid about $400 for it and see that Home Depot has them at about the
same price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in
m:

I pulled out the machine today (GE WHRE5550K1WW) expecting to see
water, which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the
same as with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking
transmission seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell, by
the way....) I don't know exactly how old this one is, but I have a
note that I called GE in 2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.

For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80)
or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired,
they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a
new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was
($250 plus installation).

There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus
installation).

New Maytags are junk. Junked last one after extended warranty expired
because it had so many major repairs...that's right, it was like 3-5 yrs.

Bought a Speed Queen commercial top loader. Same machine as many
laundromats only without the coin box. No user electronic controls. No
electronic display at all. Mechanical dials with only basic settings.
Been working flawless and cleans better than that stupid microprocessing,
water saving, eco-****ing POS Maytag.

Won't find at appliance chains. Go to local appliance store/repair
business. Pricing is not low because it has no bells and whistles but you
don't want to buy bells & whistles. You want to buy a machine that cleans
and does not need an organ transplant 6-12 months. Bells & whistles money
is put into, yes, the machine and it's purpose - to wash. What a concept.
Senior Member

20 years ago, I had to decide who's washing machines to buy because I needed three pair of coin operated washers and dryers.

Just about everyone I talked to said that Maytag top loading washers were the easiest to fix. When I looked at one, I was amazed at how much room there was under the tub...everything was easily accessible.

At the time, I also saw Speed Queen, which is the Canadian version of Amana, and it had plenty of space and good accessibility too, but no one I talked to really knew much about them.

I ended up buying Maytag, and their machines have stood up well for me. I don't know if Red Green had a top loading washer or not, but if so, I expect his experience with Maytag wasn't typical. I don't know if Maytag still makes their top loading washers anymore.

I know nothing about front loading washers.

Why not just phone up the places listed under Appliance, Major - Repair in your yellow pages, and find out which top loading washer the repairmen think is be best built and easiest to fix?

Last edited by nestork : September 9th 14 at 02:11 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 13:33:15 -0700, Guv Bob
wrote:

I pulled out the machine today (GE WHRE5550K1WW) expecting to see water,
which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the same as
with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking transmission
seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell, by the way....) I
don't know exactly how old this one is, but I have a note that I called
GE in 2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.

For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80) or
unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired, they
will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a new
transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was ($250
plus installation).

There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus
installation).

From exprerience Maytag 'used to be' good. but alas have gone the way of
marketeers controlling what you get, very 'thin' construction. I once
tried to get a transmission replacement for an older unit that actually
had a gentle cycle my wife loved. No, not available, because they went to
the combined tub rotation and paddle movement that beat and scratched the
clothes to death. Ok, so how much to get the old transmission? "No." I
said how much? "No." I said pretend I'm a rich Sheik, how much to start
your line for one? $1 million? $2 million? "No. won't do it." Also, for
several weeks I couldn't even reach anyone there, until I gave the zip
code 90210 [my brilliant wife's suggestion!], and then got a call back
instantly from the President, who was the one who gave me all those,
"No's". I'm still steamed at Maytag! [used to have relatives who worked
there, too].

This is an incredible product:
Speed Queen AWN412. 3.3 cu. ft. White Top Load Washer
Number1Direct 888 768 1710 9-5:30

The thing is built like a battleship! ergonomic, easy load and remove, AND
all mechanical dial so you 'control' what it's doing, including NOT
emptying your water out if you restart in order to get a bit of extra wash
time, like ALL the new machines now do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks Philo. Do you know if the current model is like yours? Don't go to a lot of trouble - just trying to avoid any more "new improved" units.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
I pulled out the machine today (GE WHRE5550K1WW) expecting to see water, which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the same as with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking transmission seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell, by the way....) I don't know exactly how old this one is, but I have a note that I called GE in 2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.

For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80) or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired, they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was ($250 plus installation).

There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus installation).

*******

Thanks for all the great info!! Keep 'em coming! Will use this crappy box of bolts for a week or so until I can check around. It's a good thing I'm out of shotgun shells.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/08/2014 09:21 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

snip

I bought a Maytag in 1988 and it still works perfectly and has never
needed any repair or maintenance.

It's one of those "no frills" units. I seriously doubt if anyone needs
all those bells and whistles.

I paid about $400 for it and see that Home Depot has them at about the
same price.

Thanks Philo. Do you know if the current model is like yours? Don't go to a lot of trouble - just trying to avoid any more "new improved" units.

LOL so much for my memory.

I decided that maybe I should have a look at my machine.
I went down there and see that it is actually a *Whirlpool* (which I
think now manufactures Maytag).

Mine is a "Stylemaster" 907675

An old maintenance man recommended it to me because the machine is
belt-less. On my old washer, it seemed I had to change the belt many times.

So I'd make sure you just get the most basic model they have as such
models tend to be simple and trouble free...and if it's belt-less I'm
sure it will be very similar to the one I have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2014 4:33 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
I pulled out the machine today (GE WHRE5550K1WW) expecting to see water, which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the same as with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking transmission seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell, by the way....) I don't know exactly how old this one is, but I have a note that I called GE in 2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.

For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80) or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired, they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was ($250 plus installation).

There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus installation).

As I said previously, we replaced our front loader GE with a top loader.
Never said the top loader was a new GE. I was a little concerned that
we really hated the GE TL and then we bought another GE. But the sales
guy (not a big box store) convinced us to buy the one that had an old
fashioned agitator. He said it will still use less water than the older
TL models but he thought, after listening to our rants about the FL,
this was a good fit. Many of the newer models (GE included) have just a
dimple on the bottom of the tub and are sort of a front loader flipped
up. These models take control of things like water, etc. We are happy
with the GE TL and it's built in the US.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2014 8:07 PM, Red Green wrote:
"Guv Bob" wrote in
m:

[...]

That's why I gave a caveat about my Maytag. It was a little out of
whack last year, thumping but cured itself. When I looked at the
internet I was not too pleased as what I saw with the innards.
Mine may be fine but point is that what may have been a top of the line
brand 5 years ago starts living on its reputation as cheaper parts are
put in. Happens with all appliances and cars for that matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

=?windows-1252?Q?philo=A0?= writes:
[...]

A 1988 Maytag would have been built in Newton Iowa. A modern
maytag is built south of the border.

Not that I'm saying the newer one would be worse, just different.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2014 4:33 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

I'm happy with our Maytag that is now about 9 months old.

No matter what you buy, I have a suggestion. Maytag offered an
additional 5 years of warranty for $100. I took it. I've never been
one to buy expended warranty, but all new machines are much more complex
than older machines.

You see what the cost of a service call is. Sure, it is a crap shoot,
but there is a good change tha tin six years I'll have something go bad
and need service so I'll come out again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2014 7:08 PM, philo wrote:

I bought a Maytag in 1988 and it still works perfectly and has never
needed any repair or maintenance.

It's one of those "no frills" units. I seriously doubt if anyone needs
all those bells and whistles.

Good advice. Our new Maytag not only has bell and whistles, but has
horns and lights. Scary to think of the things that can break.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-09-09, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Good advice. Our new Maytag not only has bell and whistles, but has
horns and lights. Scary to think of the things that can break.

Like the evaporator fan in our 5 yr old Maytag refrigerator that gave
up the ghost? Cost $250 for a fan motor the size of a biscuit. Major
rip-off.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks, philo. If I can get a belt version with no transmission, I'll take two! LOL! I'm finding that retro is definitely the way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/09/2014 11:08 AM, Guv Bob wrote:

Mine is a "Stylemaster" 907675

An old maintenance man recommended it to me because the machine is
belt-less. On my old washer, it seemed I had to change the belt many times.

So I'd make sure you just get the most basic model they have as such
models tend to be simple and trouble free...and if it's belt-less I'm
sure it will be very similar to the one I have.

Thanks, philo. If I can get a belt version with no transmission, I'll take two! LOL! I'm finding that retro is definitely the way to go.

Yeah, some of them cost $1000 and have all sorts of electronic controls

sheesh all it has to do is add water and agitate for a while...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 09:08:50 -0700, Guv Bob
wrote:

...snip....

Thanks, philo. If I can get a belt version with no transmission, I'll
take two! LOL! I'm finding that retro is definitely the way to go.

I responded but didn't see my post go by so here goes, ....again:

From exprerience Maytag 'used to be' good. but alas have gone the way of
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in
:

[...]

and cars for that
matter.

That's why I just bought a new OLD car. 96 Mitsubishi 3000GT. 37K miles.
Original everything with just a couple of scratches. Looks like it came
from the showroom. Fully loaded. One owner. Woman who turned it in was 69
years old. Had to go to Wisconsin to check out. Had it shipped by itself
in an enclosed moving van. Sweet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Car Computers ( What's a good top-loading washer?)

Excellent topic, RG -- so I switched the subject....

"Red Green" wrote in message
and cars for that
matter.

That's why I just bought a new OLD car. 96 Mitsubishi 3000GT. 37K miles.
Original everything with just a couple of scratches. Looks like it came
from the showroom. Fully loaded. One owner. Woman who turned it in was 69
years old. Had to go to Wisconsin to check out. Had it shipped by itself
in an enclosed moving van. Sweet.

Sounds great! I have a 1990 Eclipse, known as 1G. Don't know anything about later models, but you might want to have a competent technician pull the computer out and check the circuit board. If the capacitors are made by Rubicon (like 1990) they are famous for leaking and also are not rated for the proper temp -- should be replaced with different brand and a higher temperature rating. I'm emphasizing the computer because it's a quick check and could save a lot of hassle later if the car has intermittent problems. Another problem I found with the computer is that if there is any moisture, like from high humidy condensing inside the car, that's another killer for the computer. Dealers charge $100 and up to diagnosis but they still can't pinpoint it to a computer problem. Cost for dealer computer for 1990 was $700 parts only. Long winded... but I wish someone had told me all this when I was bumfuzzled....

For anyone with a car computer problem, you can typically find someone in the local area who rebuilds them for $100-200. I found a rebulit one from some parts house - Rock Auto probably -- for $250 -- but they only patched up the old problems and did not replace the Rubicon capacitors....

OK, everyone can wake up now. LOL!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote in
:

20 years ago, I had to decide who's washing machines to buy because I
needed three pair of coin operated washers and dryers.

Just about everyone I talked to said that Maytag top loading washers
were the easiest to fix. When I looked at one, I was amazed at how
much room there was under the tub...everything was easily accessible.

I think it was designed that way because it would have to be accessed so
many times.

At the time, I also saw Speed Queen, which is the Canadian version of
Amana, and it had plenty of space and good accessibility too, but no
one I talked to really knew much about them.

I ended up buying Maytag, and their machines have stood up well for
me. I don't know if Red Green had a top loading washer or not, but if
so, I expect his experience with Maytag wasn't typical. I don't know
if Maytag still makes their top loading washers anymore.

It was a top loader with the low profile agitator and glass so you could
see the stupid things it was doing like adding the tiniest bit of water,
turn a rev or two in one direction. Turn another rev or two in the other
direction. Do this several times. Supposedly it was sizing up the load.

Too bad it didn't have a microphone that transmitted back to the
company. They would have heard: "Just wash the ****in' clothes you
muther ****er". I mean I've been washing clothes for decades. It's not
that hard to pick small, med, large, extra large. This thing needed a
microprocessor with more power than the 1969 Apollo and 5 minutes of
computing to do it.

I know nothing about front loading washers.

Why not just phone up the places listed under Appliance, Major -
Repair in your yellow pages, and find out which top loading washer the
repairmen think is be best built and easiest to fix?

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote in
:

20 years ago, I had to decide who's washing machines to buy because I
needed three pair of coin operated washers and dryers.

Just about everyone I talked to said that Maytag top loading washers
were the easiest to fix. When I looked at one, I was amazed at how
much room there was under the tub...everything was easily accessible.

At the time, I also saw Speed Queen, which is the Canadian version of
Amana, and it had plenty of space and good accessibility too, but no
one I talked to really knew much about them.

I ended up buying Maytag, and their machines have stood up well for
me. I don't know if Red Green had a top loading washer or not, but if
so, I expect his experience with Maytag wasn't typical. I don't know
if Maytag still makes their top loading washers anymore.

I know nothing about front loading washers.

I know a couple of things - Don't buy one & you're gonna have problems
if you do buy one.

Why not just phone up the places listed under Appliance, Major -
Repair in your yellow pages, and find out which top loading washer the
repairmen think is be best built and easiest to fix?

Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertMacy wrote in
newsp.xlwddep02cx0wh@ajm:

wrote:

I pulled out the machine today (GE WHRE5550K1WW) expecting to see
water, which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the
same as with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking
transmission seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell,
by the way....) I don't know exactly how old this one is, but I
have a note that I called GE in 2006, so that probably makes this
one 2005.

For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80)
or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it
repaired, they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If
the fix is a new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than
the old one was ($250 plus installation).

There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus
installation).

From exprerience Maytag 'used to be' good. but alas have gone the way
of
[...]

Yep. Mine is Speed Queen AWN412SP 111TW01
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2014 8:37 PM, Red Green wrote:
Frank wrote in
:

[...]

I like buying new, in large part to 3 year inclusive warranties.
Also went Japanese over twenty years ago after owning Ford and Chevy
lemons. The Japanese would continue to improve and the US companies
would take a good product and try to make it cheaper.