Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Desperate for front-loading, top-loading washer advice

Greetings all!

When my wife and I bought our home around 8 years ago, we inherited my
mom-in-law's 20-year-old washer and dryer...presumably, so we thought
at the time...as a stop-gap measure until we bought our own. Well, the
truth is, these old Kenmore appliances worked great, and were very
capacious and never harmed clothes, so we just kept them. But my wife
has always been waiting for the point when one broke, so she could buy
us a fresh set.

Well, she finally got her wish. The dryer stopped working, and though
I reckon I could fix it (or have it fixed), this event signaled the
moment at which we commit to getting a 21st century washer and dryer.

After some research on the matter, I am frustrated and stumped. The
wife really has coveted a side loading washer for ages, but as soon as
we started researching them, all kinds of negatives appeared. Can
anyone address any of the following?:

(1) Putting holes in clothes. A search on the web suggests that lots
of people seem to have had this experience. My old Kenmore, with the
old-school agitator, has never harmed a single garment. I think if I
got one hole per thousand garments, that would be one hole too many for
me. I have zero tolerance on the whole hole issue.

(2) Water spilling/leaking out of the front. That's a deal breaker
too.

(3) User-overide of preferences? I love Best Buy, and this is not a
slam at them, but the person I spoke with on this matter had absolutely
no idea about the products he was assigned to sell. They seem to
market these front loaders as having all kinds of presets -- for
instance, the washer adjusts the amount of water for the amount of
clothes I put in; also, somehow the washer monitors the dirt in the
water and keeps running until until the dirt presence is sufficiently
low.

Suppose, JUST SUPPOSE, I want to wash one sock with the maximum amount
of water the washer can hold. I am not saying I would do this...but
CAN I tell the washer I have put in a huge load, even if that means I
have to lie to the robot?

Also, we do loads of wash with dirty, junk towels we use for cleaning
up dirt in the basement, etc...and we don't really care that these
towels get ultra-clean. I don't want the washing machine to continue
washing these nasty towels for hours trying to reduce the dirt presence
to zero.

What side loading and front loading washers do people recommend? I am
very keen on high capacity washers.

If anyone wants to JUST TELL ME what to buy, please do...I have had to
make a million important household decisions over the last 8 years, and
one million is apparently my limit. I'm spent. I feel like Ingrid
Bergman in Casablanca..."You think for me, Rick."

Chuck

Top loading machines are considered to be outdated relics in most of Europe.

I'm very happy with my front loader.. uses much less water and soap, gets
clothes so dry the minimum time in the dryer or on the line is needed and is
VERY gentle on clothes.

wrote:

Greetings all!

When my wife and I bought our home around 8 years ago, we inherited my
mom-in-law's 20-year-old washer and dryer...presumably, so we thought
at the time...as a stop-gap measure until we bought our own. Well, the
truth is, these old Kenmore appliances worked great, and were very
capacious and never harmed clothes, so we just kept them. But my wife
has always been waiting for the point when one broke, so she could buy
us a fresh set.

Well, she finally got her wish. The dryer stopped working, an

http://www.consciouschoice.com/2000/...ible1305b.html

Front-Loading Washers
by James Dulley
Dear Jim: I need a new clothes washer. I have heard about quiet, efficient
front-loader models, but since they use less water, I worry about allergies from
ineffective rinsing. Do they really wash and rinse well? — Peg J.

Dear Peg: Front-loading washers (horizontal axis) are superior in most ways to
top-loading ones that are most popular in the U.S. In Europe and most of the
world, efficient front-loaders are predominantly used. Front-loaders typically
are designed with very high-quality materials for a longer life.

A front-loader design allows the washer and dryer to be stacked on top of one
another to save floor space. Also, the ease of access to a front-loader for the
physically impaired is a serious consideration for our aging population.

By design, front-loaders wash more effectively than top-loaders. By using less
water, less detergent, and less energy to heat the water, the annual savings of
operating a front-loader can be as much as $100. Also, the gentle washing action
minimizes damage and fading of your clothes.

Instead of filling a tub with water and using a plastic agitator to move the
water, a front-loader uses gravity. As the tub spins on a horizontal axis, the
clothes gently tumble through the sudsy water. An automatic sensor determines
the proper water level for the size of the load.

As the tub is only partially filled with water, the clothes actually fall
through the air from the top of the tub as it spins. This allows them to fan out
before they reach the water and swish through it again. There is very little
clumping of clothes, which allows for more thorough cleaning.

Many of the models have built-in adjustable water heater elements that can raise
the wash water to as high as 200 degrees. This improves cleaning and is ideal
for washing children's clothes. The hotter temperatures can also kill the
bacteria and viruses that are so common during cold and flu seasons.

With a horizontal axis and no agitator, a front-loader spins several times
faster (up to 1,600 rpm) than a top-loader. This improves rinsing. An electronic
brain senses if the load is unbalanced. If so, the tub automatically stops,
rotates back and forth to even it out the weight, and spins again.

For effective rinsing, some models use a suds sensor. If too much soap is
present, it automatically runs additional rinse cycles until the water is clear.
You can also select models with manual settings of up to seven rinses.

Combination space-saving front-loader washer/dryers do both the washing and
drying in the same unit from start to finish. You put in the dirty clothes and
take out clean dry clothes. Portable models are available on casters that have
small built-in water heaters so only cold water is needed.

Write for (or instantly download) Update Bulletin No. 866, buyer's guide of
twelve front-loader and combination washer/dryers, capacities, speeds, cycles,
and features. Please include $3 and a business-size SASE. James Dulley,
Conscious Choice, 6906 Royalgreen Dr., Cincinnati, OH 45244

Rich Greenberg

In article .com,
wrote:

Well, she finally got her wish. The dryer stopped working, and though
I reckon I could fix it (or have it fixed), this event signaled the
moment at which we commit to getting a 21st century washer and dryer.

If you can fix it without a large expense of $ or time, fix it. That
takes the pressure off so you can make a more intelligent purchase.

TKM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings all!

What side loading and front loading washers do people recommend? I am
very keen on high capacity washers.

If anyone wants to JUST TELL ME what to buy, please do...I have had to
make a million important household decisions over the last 8 years, and
one million is apparently my limit. I'm spent. I feel like Ingrid
Bergman in Casablanca..."You think for me, Rick."

Chuck

Two-plus years experience now with a front-load washer has convinced me
it's a better choice than a top-loader. Less soap and water, clothes ready
for the drier with less moisture, very quiet, no problems with holes or
other wear on clothes, enough options for wash/rinse that it handles any
reasonable dirt condition and I can stuff it full for one load and put in
just a little for the next and it doesn't care.

It's a standard GE with matching dryer purchased from a local appliance
store. The price was as good as from the big box store down the road and I
got lots of knowledgeable help with the purchase. I'd go with the same deal
and choice again.

What surprised me the most is the difference in water and soap usage. The
front-loader uses significantly less of both even when set for an extra
rinse.

TKM

I too have a GE front load washer, and while I agree with all the
positives mentioned in this thread, I do have one negative - it takes
60 minutes to do a load, and I seem to remember that at the laundromat,
the top loader Maytag, would take only 30 minutes.