Posted to alt.home.repair
Guv Bob Guv Bob is offline

Default Car Computers ( What's a good top-loading washer?)

Excellent topic, RG -- so I switched the subject....

"Red Green" wrote in message
and cars for that
matter.

That's why I just bought a new OLD car. 96 Mitsubishi 3000GT. 37K miles.
Original everything with just a couple of scratches. Looks like it came
from the showroom. Fully loaded. One owner. Woman who turned it in was 69
years old. Had to go to Wisconsin to check out. Had it shipped by itself
in an enclosed moving van. Sweet.

Sounds great! I have a 1990 Eclipse, known as 1G. Don't know anything about later models, but you might want to have a competent technician pull the computer out and check the circuit board. If the capacitors are made by Rubicon (like 1990) they are famous for leaking and also are not rated for the proper temp -- should be replaced with different brand and a higher temperature rating. I'm emphasizing the computer because it's a quick check and could save a lot of hassle later if the car has intermittent problems. Another problem I found with the computer is that if there is any moisture, like from high humidy condensing inside the car, that's another killer for the computer. Dealers charge $100 and up to diagnosis but they still can't pinpoint it to a computer problem. Cost for dealer computer for 1990 was $700 parts only. Long winded... but I wish someone had told me all this when I was bumfuzzled....

For anyone with a car computer problem, you can typically find someone in the local area who rebuilds them for $100-200. I found a rebulit one from some parts house - Rock Auto probably -- for $250 -- but they only patched up the old problems and did not replace the Rubicon capacitors....

OK, everyone can wake up now. LOL!!!