Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default What's a good top-loading washer?

nestork wrote in
:

20 years ago, I had to decide who's washing machines to buy because I
needed three pair of coin operated washers and dryers.

Just about everyone I talked to said that Maytag top loading washers
were the easiest to fix. When I looked at one, I was amazed at how
much room there was under the tub...everything was easily accessible.

I think it was designed that way because it would have to be accessed so
many times.

At the time, I also saw Speed Queen, which is the Canadian version of
Amana, and it had plenty of space and good accessibility too, but no
one I talked to really knew much about them.

I ended up buying Maytag, and their machines have stood up well for
me. I don't know if Red Green had a top loading washer or not, but if
so, I expect his experience with Maytag wasn't typical. I don't know
if Maytag still makes their top loading washers anymore.

It was a top loader with the low profile agitator and glass so you could
see the stupid things it was doing like adding the tiniest bit of water,
turn a rev or two in one direction. Turn another rev or two in the other
direction. Do this several times. Supposedly it was sizing up the load.

Too bad it didn't have a microphone that transmitted back to the
company. They would have heard: "Just wash the ****in' clothes you
muther ****er". I mean I've been washing clothes for decades. It's not
that hard to pick small, med, large, extra large. This thing needed a
microprocessor with more power than the 1969 Apollo and 5 minutes of
computing to do it.

I know nothing about front loading washers.

Why not just phone up the places listed under Appliance, Major -
Repair in your yellow pages, and find out which top loading washer the
repairmen think is be best built and easiest to fix?