Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What brand top loading washer is most reliable

I am ****ed off about my GE profile washer breaking down in just 2+
years I owned it. If my attempts to repair it are unsuccessful, I will
be looking for another washer.

So.

My question is, what currewnt brand of them is most reliable.

Testimony such as "I owned my XXX brand washer for 20 years and it
never broke", does not really help as everybody has cheapened out
since then.

Any brand or model suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks
Thanks
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

--
* *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
* * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating

Your first place to start research is Consumer Reports. Their reports
are factual, what you glean from the newsgroups is anecdotal. Your
call on which to place the most value.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 9:22*am, Ignoramus19266 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
19266.invalid wrote:
I am ****ed off about my GE profile washer breaking down in just 2+
years I owned it. If my attempts to repair it are unsuccessful, I will
be looking for another washer.

So.

My question is, what current brand of them is most reliable.

Testimony such as "I owned my XXX brand washer for 20 years and it
never broke", does not really help as everybody has cheapened out
since then.

Any brand or model suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks
Thanks

If you are the only one who needs to be satisfied with the machine &
the purchase.....I would suggest getting a used "oldie" on
craigslist. For not much money you can get one that's well beyond
"infant mortality" but way before "old age".

And at the prices on CL you can just throw it away if it fails.

Gotta be a better economic deal that a GE that crapped out after only
two years.

I've got 1990 Maytag set that I going to be getting rid of because my
wife wants a front load / stackable set but I'm sure that the old
Maytags have a number of years left in them. And they not going to
fetch much more than salvage $'s.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

19266.invalid wrote:
[...]

This is a very sane idea and that is how I buy my metalworking
machines, but unfortunately it will not fly with my wife.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair

19266.invalid wrote:
[...]

Most reliable is commercial grade, most manufacturers have them and
sears sells them. We had one 30 yrs and the dryer maybe 35, we even
used them commercially in an apt for years. New stuff is junk, light,
and cheap. Just compare weight of commercial to non commercial units.
Everything in them is bigger and stronger. My newer non commercial
unit had the lid switch loose from the factory, it was plastic so it
broke off just out of warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

19266.invalid wrote:
[...]

How can any one person know US manufacturing is gone, its all made in
china now so quality is unknown. Consumer Reports might be better for
you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-02-20, ransley wrote:
Most reliable is commercial grade, most manufacturers have them and
sears sells them. We had one 30 yrs and the dryer maybe 35, we even
used them commercially in an apt for years. New stuff is junk, light,
and cheap. Just compare weight of commercial to non commercial units.
Everything in them is bigger and stronger. My newer non commercial
unit had the lid switch loose from the factory, it was plastic so it
broke off just out of warranty.

I tend to agree with you.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 12:53*pm, Ignoramus19266 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
19266.invalid wrote:
On 2009-02-20, ransley wrote:

[...]

You are in Chicago area, I buy used quality stoves and friges from a
guy on the South Side. He sells washers and commercial units cheap,
Great stoves installed for 150$ I bought 3 they would be 7-800 new.
Commercial washer units id be suspect of since they are abused. But
for a $ he would drive and has deals. Let me know if you want an
alternative. He does offer a warranty and is my suplier so I could
push him if he fails to honor a breakdown. But if you have the cash
Commercial is rated 10x? more cycles for only 2x the price. What a
shame are disposable society is at.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus19266 wrote:

I am ****ed off about my GE profile washer breaking down in just 2+
years I owned it. If my attempts to repair it are unsuccessful, I will
be looking for another washer.

So.

My question is, what currewnt brand of them is most reliable.

Testimony such as "I owned my XXX brand washer for 20 years and it
never broke", does not really help as everybody has cheapened out
since then.

Any brand or model suggestions will be appreciated.

Fix the one you have. Probably a very simple fault. Schematics and
troubleshooting info should be taped inside the machine somewhere. Could
be detergent sludge clogging a pressure (level) sensor / switch.

I have a fancy GE profile arctica fridge that broke a plastic motorized
damper door. $165 unit, door not available separately. I spent 30 min in
the shop fabricating a new metal door and it's been working fine for
several years now.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 11:01:22 -0500, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

My next on though will be a front loading water saving type. Probably
the cheapest of the cheap. They are less trouble. The more electronic
digital garbage you have on it the more chance for failure. Also the
really expensive ones assume you have plenty of money for repair calls.

Our cheap Frigidaire Gallery frontloader is still going strong after 6
years of service doing about 5 loads a week, sometimes more depending
on who's living in the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

19266.invalid wrote:

Your first place to start research is Consumer Reports. Their reports
are factual, what you glean from the newsgroups is anecdotal. Your
call on which to place the most value.

Joe

I bought a Frigidair washer and dryer based upon Consumer Reports. The
washer and dryer were crap. I no longer read Consumer Reports.

When my direct-drive Kenmore washer quit working we talked to Sears and was
told that only the front-load machines now are direct-drive (I haven't
looked inside them, this is just what we were told). The top-loaders are
all belt-drive. This sounds like crap to me but when you add the plastic
gearbox and the short warranty it sounds like a bad deal to me. We were
looking at the lower priced models (under $500) so maybe the more expensive
ones are better. I decided to fix my old washer. I turned out to be easy
to repair (once I figured out what was wrong) and the parts are fairly easy
to find for a resonable price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
Ignoramus19266 wrote:
I am ****ed off about my GE profile washer breaking down in just 2+
years I owned it. If my attempts to repair it are unsuccessful, I will
be looking for another washer.

So.

My question is, what currewnt brand of them is most reliable.

Testimony such as "I owned my XXX brand washer for 20 years and it
never broke", does not really help as everybody has cheapened out
since then.

Any brand or model suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks
Thanks

My cheapest cheap Whirlpool washer and dryer are running strong and it's
been 8 years now. Never any trouble calls.

My next on though will be a front loading water saving type. Probably
the cheapest of the cheap. They are less trouble. The more electronic
digital garbage you have on it the more chance for failure. Also the
really expensive ones assume you have plenty of money for repair calls.

I suggest you check the prices of repair parts before you buy a
front-loader. I read about many front-loaders that needed the drum replaced
at a cost of hundreds of dollars just for the part. They also seem to need
to have the door seal replaced frequently.

Just how much water would you expect to save with a front-loader? I've read
the Neptune's can save you about $12/year in electricity! I somehow doubt
they last long enough to make up for the extra up-front cost.

--
//--------------------\\
Van Chocstraw

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus19266 wrote:
I am ****ed off about my GE profile washer breaking down in just 2+
years I owned it. If my attempts to repair it are unsuccessful, I will
be looking for another washer.

In 2004 I bought a Fisher and Paykel washer because I was impressed by
its simplicity of construction and innovative engineering. So far I'm
very pleased with it.

BUT... I have not had occasion to buy replacement parts or service, so I
can't speak to that. Also, my machine was made in New Zealand. They
now have a manufacturing plant in the USA. Don't know if the quality
has changed.

As for GE, I have not been impressed with their washers as evidenced by
their cable and pulley suspension, fiberboard back panel that absorbs
moisture, and the brilliantly designed speed control solenoid that
breaks if you try changing from high to low speed while the motor is
running.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 11:01:24 -0800, Bob wrote:

Ignoramus19266 wrote:
I am ****ed off about my GE profile washer breaking down in just 2+
years I owned it. If my attempts to repair it are unsuccessful, I will
be looking for another washer.

In 2004 I bought a Fisher and Paykel washer because I was impressed by
its simplicity of construction and innovative engineering. So far I'm
very pleased with it.

BUT... I have not had occasion to buy replacement parts or service, so I
can't speak to that.

Same here. Some of the things that made me buy it:

Lower water consumption like the front loaders, but using regular
(much cheaper) soap

Leaves clothes almost dry after spinning them at very high rpm like a
front loader. That means the dryer doen't have to run nearly as long
to finish the drying process. That saves a LOT of electricity.

The design eliminates some of the major points of failure fround in
other machines. It has no transmission!

I'm not surprised that you haven't needed any parts or serviice. I
haven't either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ulysses wrote:

Just how much water would you expect to save with a front-loader?
I've read the Neptune's can save you about $12/year in electricity!
I somehow doubt they last long enough to make up for the extra
up-front cost.

If you burn Hydrogen in an Oxygen environment, you get "fresh water."

All other water is "used" water.

Water is the ultimate reusable resourse. And, if you look at your water
bill, none of the charge is for the water itself - water is basically free.
You're really paying for the delivery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:37:09 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Ulysses wrote:

Just how much water would you expect to save with a front-loader?
I've read the Neptune's can save you about $12/year in electricity!
I somehow doubt they last long enough to make up for the extra
up-front cost.

If you burn Hydrogen in an Oxygen environment, you get "fresh water."

All other water is "used" water.

Water is the ultimate reusable resourse. And, if you look at your water
bill, none of the charge is for the water itself - water is basically free.
You're really paying for the delivery.

In a washing machine, saving water also means saving HOT water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't be sure about the modern ones. But the one I use is
Whirlpool, and I've been totally pleased with it. Mine is
older than 1994. So, my experience may not be the same for
you. Quality has suffered, a lot.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:gnq8a7
:

I can't be sure about the modern ones. But the one I use is
Whirlpool, and I've been totally pleased with it. Mine is
older than 1994. So, my experience may not be the same for
you. Quality has suffered, a lot.

You're saying yesterdays Whirlpool may be today's cesspool? :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote in news:3f75e7d8-1540-4bac-8021-
:

* * * * * * * * * *
http://improve-usenet.org/

Most reliable is commercial grade, most manufacturers have them and
sears sells them. We had one 30 yrs and the dryer maybe 35, we even
used them commercially in an apt for years. New stuff is junk, light,
and cheap. Just compare weight of commercial to non commercial units.
Everything in them is bigger and stronger. My newer non commercial
unit had the lid switch loose from the factory, it was plastic so it
broke off just out of warranty.

Agree with that.

That's the problem though with everything from washing machines to driver
bits. They make them cheaper (quality-wise) and cheaper and price either
remains about the same or actually increases. Eventually new stuff is
pure crap and the only way to get what you used to get is to pay some
kind of premium for the likes of heavy duty, professional grade, lasts 3x
longer, commercial grade, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote in
:

Ignoramus19266 wrote:
[...]

Boy if that ain't the truth. I was just yakking with someone tonight who
paid like $950 for a fancy top loading machine and said they loved it.
And I'm sure it does a bang up job with lots of options. Told them they
better hope the electronics board never goes bad. It will probably cost
as much as an entire basic washer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, fool! Today's whirlpool might be a cesspool, but the old
fool knows no fool like an old whirlpool. I didn't learn
that in school. Use the tool, sit on the stool, and wash in
the whirlpool. Know I'm sayin', fool?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in news:gnq8a7
:

I can't be sure about the modern ones. But the one I use
is
Whirlpool, and I've been totally pleased with it. Mine is
older than 1994. So, my experience may not be the same for
you. Quality has suffered, a lot.

You're saying yesterdays Whirlpool may be today's cesspool?
:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why can you get a four function calculator at a Dollar Tree,
and that includes solar power or battery. But a two function
board for a washing machine is a couple C'notes?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

Boy if that ain't the truth. I was just yakking with someone
tonight who
paid like $950 for a fancy top loading machine and said they
loved it.
And I'm sure it does a bang up job with lots of options.
Told them they
better hope the electronics board never goes bad. It will
probably cost
as much as an entire basic washer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I can't be sure about the modern ones. But the one I use is
Whirlpool, and I've been totally pleased with it. Mine is
older than 1994. So, my experience may not be the same for
you. Quality has suffered, a lot.

The Kenmore I have was made by Whirlpool. Now I wish I'd kept my old
Whirlpool even though it was belt-drive. I figured it was pretty much worn
out (after 10 years of my wife) so I kept the motor, pump, selenoid etc and
tossed the rest. Now I think I could have fixed it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

19266.invalid wrote:
[...]

I like Whirlpool, Maytag and Kenmore for reasonably priced units. LG
is pure crap, stay far far away from LG, literally everything I ever
bought by LG stopped working after a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ulysses wrote:

Just how much water would you expect to save with a front-loader?
I've read the Neptune's can save you about $12/year in electricity!
I somehow doubt they last long enough to make up for the extra
up-front cost.

If you burn Hydrogen in an Oxygen environment, you get "fresh water."

All other water is "used" water.

Water is the ultimate reusable resourse. And, if you look at your water
bill, none of the charge is for the water itself - water is basically

free.
You're really paying for the delivery.

In a washing machine, saving water also means saving HOT water.

Good point, but how much hot water are you saving? I'm not arguing with you
guys I'm just asking. What is the water capacity with an average
front-loader as opposed to a top-loader? I have a well and use as little
water as possible/needed but if it only adds up to a couple hundred gallons
a year then I would have to consider how much that is worth compared to the
cost of a front-loader...

When I was trying to diagnose my top-loader I came across MANY sites and
discussions about front-loader problems. Most of the problems were quite
expensive. I was not even looking for this information. They sound like
way too much maintenance.

Sewers are metered now?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus19266 wrote:
[...]

No transmission? How does it agitate?

I'm not surprised that you haven't needed any parts or serviice. I
haven't either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ignoramus19266 wrote:

Testimony such as "I owned my XXX brand washer for 20 years and it
never broke", does not really help as everybody has cheapened out
since then.

The only other possible testimony would be "I've owned my XXX brand
washer for two months and it never broke" and that wouldn't help you
much, either! Personally, I'd look for *simple.* That means no
electronic display/control panel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 10:05:57 -0800, "Ulysses"
wrote:

.. .

Ignoramus19266 wrote:
[...]

http://www.fisherpaykel.com/laundry/?productUid=15C6E8A7-E996-10E6-64A34887A6836AFA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:09:28 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus19266 wrote:

Testimony such as "I owned my XXX brand washer for 20 years and it
never broke", does not really help as everybody has cheapened out
since then.

The only other possible testimony would be "I've owned my XXX brand
washer for two months and it never broke" and that wouldn't help you
much, either! Personally, I'd look for *simple.* That means no
electronic display/control panel.

Yeah, mechanical timers and unsealed switches NEVER fail. Especially
in a humid environment. Sheesh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ulysses" wrote in
:

wrote:

Ulysses wrote:

[...]

No. The way they do it is just charge the sewer charge per 1k gal based
on the water use. 1k gal in = 1k gal out.

Please! Let's not start some useless thread about evaporation, outdoor
hose usage, drinking water and ****ing somewhere else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ulysses wrote:

Just how much water would you expect to save with a front-loader?
I've read the Neptune's can save you about $12/year in electricity!
I somehow doubt they last long enough to make up for the extra
up-front cost.

If you burn Hydrogen in an Oxygen environment, you get "fresh water."

All other water is "used" water.

Water is the ultimate reusable resourse. And, if you look at your water
bill, none of the charge is for the water itself - water is basically free.
You're really paying for the delivery.

In a washing machine, saving water also means saving HOT water.

As sa dog points out

front loaders extract more water mechanically (spin) which leaves
much less to evaporate off via the dryer.

significant savings in the typical install comes from lower hot water
usage... cold water is gallons per penny, hot water is pennies per
gallon.

rebates from water & electrical suppliers lower the cost more

Still, at price front of most front loader sets....its gonna take some
time to pay off. But if you need new machines any way.........

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ulysses wrote:

[...]

The Fisher-Paykel machines are mid-priced top loaders (about $650)
that use less water like the front loaders, and leave the clothes
almost dry. Unlike the front loaders, however, they don't need special
and very expensive soap. In fact, they use regular soap, and half as
much of it as a regular top loader.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ulysses" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
I can't be sure about the modern ones. But the one I use
is
Whirlpool, and I've been totally pleased with it. Mine is
older than 1994. So, my experience may not be the same for
you. Quality has suffered, a lot.

The Kenmore I have was made by Whirlpool. Now I wish I'd
kept my old
Whirlpool even though it was belt-drive.

Mine is belt drive, also.

I figured it was pretty much worn
out (after 10 years of my wife) so I kept the motor, pump,
selenoid etc and
tossed the rest. Now I think I could have fixed it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Off the edge of my memory, I may have heard others say that
about LG products.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RickH" wrote in message

I like Whirlpool, Maytag and Kenmore for reasonably priced
units. LG
is pure crap, stay far far away from LG, literally
everything I ever
bought by LG stopped working after a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sewers are metered, now, too!

But, those are the must fun threads! Where we all get heated
up, yell and scream, and accomplish nothing.

I'll start: "We should vote down the Stimulus bill!"

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

Sewers are metered now?

Sewers are metered now?

No. The way they do it is just charge the sewer charge per
1k gal based
on the water use. 1k gal in = 1k gal out.

Please! Let's not start some useless thread about
evaporation, outdoor
hose usage, drinking water and ****ing somewhere else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ulysses" wrote in
:

Ignoramus19266 wrote:
[...]

Well, I believe there are zero service call for top loader lids leaking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Red Green wrote:

"Ulysses" wrote in
:

Sewers are metered now?

No. The way they do it is just charge the sewer charge per 1k gal based
on the water use. 1k gal in = 1k gal out.

Please! Let's not start some useless thread about evaporation, outdoor
hose usage, drinking water and ****ing somewhere else.

Too late. You just started it. Maybe in an apartment building, most of
the water goes down the drain. Around here, most people use 90% of it to
keep lawns and landscaping alive.