Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What brand top loading washer is most reliable

In article ,
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 23:31:08 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:09:28 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus19266 wrote:

Testimony such as "I owned my XXX brand washer for 20 years and it
never broke", does not really help as everybody has cheapened out
since then.

The only other possible testimony would be "I've owned my XXX brand
washer for two months and it never broke" and that wouldn't help you
much, either! Personally, I'd look for *simple.* That means no
electronic display/control panel.

Yeah, mechanical timers and unsealed switches NEVER fail. Especially
in a humid environment. Sheesh.

Sure they fail. And the average Joe can fix them. I'd rather fix
something once every two years than buy new every two years because the
thing *can't* be economically repaired.

Anyway, my washing machine is fifteen years old and the only thing I've
had to replace was the lid switch. Sheesh.

Mechanical timers and switches fail a lot more frequently than
properly made electronic controls. A lot more frequently. An average
Joe who can replace a mechanical timer can certainly replace a failed
board, too. He probably won't need to, but it's no more complicated
than replacing those failure prone old mechanical dinosaurs. Some
people just have emotional problems dealing with anything new.

Good electronics are extremely reliable, that's true. I'll take a solid
state relay any day over a mechanical one.

But the operative adjective in your statement is "properly made."
Apparently, many of them are not, particularly the "touch" style
operator interfaces. And those control panels are essentially
irreparable at the component level. So now it's a $300 part instead of a
$20 part.

My '98 Toyota is an example of appropriate engineering. The stuff that
should be state-of-the-art is, and the stuff that shouldn't be isn't.
Climate control is rotary knobs and slide adjusters, straight out of the
1950's. Why? Because it's *more* reliable than all the digital gee whiz
gadgetry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:57:55 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 23:31:08 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:09:28 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus19266 wrote:

[...]

We are talking here specifically about Fisher & Paykel, which is a
good quality machine. It is more reliable than conventional washers,
in part because it has fewer parts, and partly because the parts it
does have are well made. If you DO need a new control board for a
Fisher & Paykel, it is less than $200, which makes it not much more
expensive than the mechanical timer I recently replaced on my 10 year
old dishwasher.

Huh? When did we start talking about F & P? Maybe that brand came up in
another part of the thread, but I just linked this part all the way back
to the OP who said "I am ****ed off about my GE profile washer breaking
down in just 2+ years I owned it." and F & P was never mentioned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We are talking here specifically about Fisher & Paykel, which is a
good quality machine. It is more reliable than conventional washers,
in part because it has fewer parts, and partly because the parts it
does have are well made. If you DO need a new control board for a
Fisher & Paykel, it is less than $200, which makes it not much more
expensive than the mechanical timer I recently replaced on my 10 year
old dishwasher.

What brand of washer has a $200 mechanical timer? When I was looking at
parts for my Kenmore/Whirlpool they were closer to $50-$60.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:22:28 -0600, Ignoramus19266
wrote:

I am ****ed off about my GE profile washer breaking down in just 2+
years I owned it. If my attempts to repair it are unsuccessful, I will
be looking for another washer.

So.

My question is, what currewnt brand of them is most reliable.

Testimony such as "I owned my XXX brand washer for 20 years and it
never broke", does not really help as everybody has cheapened out
since then.

Any brand or model suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks
Thanks

GE heavy duty

http://products.geappliances.com/App...W&SITEID =GEA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Red Green wrote:

"Ulysses" wrote in
:

Sewers are metered now?

No. The way they do it is just charge the sewer charge per 1k gal
based on the water use. 1k gal in = 1k gal out.

Please! Let's not start some useless thread about evaporation,
outdoor hose usage, drinking water and ****ing somewhere else.

Too late. You just started it. Maybe in an apartment building, most of
the water goes down the drain. Around here, most people use 90% of it
to keep lawns and landscaping alive.

I believe you could get a separate meter if you wanted to. Would
probably have to pay all the basic account charges and taxes a second
time. Guess you would just have to figure out if it's cost effective.

Too late. You just started it.

And not I'm contributing to it! Crimus, I'm my own worst enemy :-(