Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with GE profile top loading washer

Our GE Profile washer, which is out of warranty, broke
down. Specifically, in the drain cycle, the pump would pump, but it
would never stop pumping and the spinning is never initiated.

It is as if it does not realize that it is done pumping. I opened it
up to look, and did not find anything obvious that would suggest that
the pump is obstructed, for example. (I only looked at intake side)

I called GE and the tech guy on the phone was not very helpful and
said that I must get a tech out to have a look.

Well, that stuff gets expensive in a hurry and I am not sure if I wan
to risk several hundred $$ of repair money, throwing good money after
bad.

But if anyone could give me a hand with this washer and offer some
repair ideas, let me know.

The pump has four wires, leading to just two terminals. Two wires are
thicker (I suppose power) and two are thinner (I suppose for some sort
of sensing).

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/20/09 12:20 pm Ignoramus19266 wrote:

[...]

Does this have electronic controls? Perhaps the problem is not with the
pump at all but with whatever module (whether electronic or
electro-mechanical) that tells the pump what to do when.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

--
* *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
* * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating

Sources like repairclinic.com are good places to start. Check archives
in this NG for other sites. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:20:57 -0600, Ignoramus19266
wrote:

[...]

Your control is dead, most likely. MOST go by time to determine when
to stop pumping and start spinning etc.Contacts in the controller burn
and stick. Last one I replaced was about a hundred bucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-02-20, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Yes, it has a fancy electronic control. And if I knew how to diagnoze
it (maybe I should get a repair manual) I could at least
differentiate.

All of this ****es me off.

I have a 59 year old Quincy compressor that works great.

I also have a 42 year old Clausing lathe that works great.

I have this ****ing 2 year old washer that is broke from light
household use.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That could be. I will try to trace wires and determine whether there
is power coming to the motor (I pretty much know the answer to this
one but I want to make sure).

I called GE and, to my surprise, they do not give repair manual to
"consumers". So I can buy a washer, but cannot get a repair manual,
imagine that!

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Is this one of those newfangled washer that uses a low amount of water and
keeps the clothes wet by pumping it over the top?

If it is, I had a similar problem with my whirlpool.

There is a chamber near the pump with one way valve in it.
On mine, a wire from a bra worked it's down into the mechanism and blocked
the ball of the one way valve.

The pump ran constantly and could never fully drain the tank.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I used to own 2 laundromats but moat of my experience with GE washers
(POS!) was with ones purchased on or before 1995.
What I discovered when I had the problem you describe is that there is
a diaphragm controlled pressure switch which senses water level and
turns the pump off when the tub is empty and enables the spin to
start.
Check for plugged hose or connection to bottom of tub or stuck
contacts in the switch.
Engineman

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

* * * * * * * * * *http://improve-usenet.org/- Hide quoted text -

Go to Google. Search for "GE washer repair help"
and you will find more than you might imagine, such
as:

http://www.applianceaid.com/washers.html

When I was looking for Maytag info I found tons
and tons of good solid information.

Good luck.

dennis
in nca
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-20, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
Is this one of those newfangled washer that uses a low amount of water and
keeps the clothes wet by pumping it over the top?

If it is, I had a similar problem with my whirlpool.

There is a chamber near the pump with one way valve in it.
On mine, a wire from a bra worked it's down into the mechanism and blocked
the ball of the one way valve.

The pump ran constantly and could never fully drain the tank.

No, the pump runs great and drains the tank, but it never stops and
tank does not spin.

My friend suggested that it is due to a water level sensor
malfunctioning. I do not recall seeing such a sensor anywhere, but I
will look again tonight.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They are simple devices, and the schematics and basic troubleshooting
info are nearly always taped somewhere inside the machine. They
certainly were on my GE refrigerator and on my Maytag washer/dryer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It is regrettable, the quality is not what it used to be.
Perhaps President Obama can mail you a new one?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ignoramus19266" wrote
in message

Yes, it has a fancy electronic control. And if I knew how to
diagnoze
it (maybe I should get a repair manual) I could at least
differentiate.

All of this ****es me off.

I have a 59 year old Quincy compressor that works great.

I also have a 42 year old Clausing lathe that works great.

I have this snip 2 year old washer that is broke from
light
household use.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

The last time I had such a problem, was my rather old
whirlpool. The mechancial timer had dried out. I blasted it
out good with brake cleaner, and then sprayed in some oil.
Works fine, now. Of course, that won't help with your snip
washer, which is probably electronic.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ignoramus19266" wrote
in message

That could be. I will try to trace wires and determine
whether there
is power coming to the motor (I pretty much know the answer
to this
one but I want to make sure).

I called GE and, to my surprise, they do not give repair
manual to
"consumers". So I can buy a washer, but cannot get a repair
manual,
imagine that!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-02-21, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It is regrettable, the quality is not what it used to be.

Yep, the quality of stuff manufactured during the BUSH era has gone
down a lot.

But a lot of innovation was made in the finance arena, I gotta give
Bush some credit.

Perhaps President Obama can mail you a new one?

Would be especially cool if he forgave my mortgage.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-21, Bill Noble wrote:
"manuals can be purchased on line fairly inexpensively - you will find a
manual helpful - typically this is the water level switch
Well, I fixed it -- the problem was that the line to water level
sensor that was obstructed -- but I would ike to buy a proper repair
manual. Where can I find one?

Did you find the paperwork that should be inside the washer?

Yes, it was just a schematic that would not really say enough. I would
really like to get some more. Like a troubleshooting plan that would
say "measure voltage from point A to point B" etc.

How about this, Iggy?
http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDe...cc=1&PPStack=1

--Winston

--

I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-20, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
Is this one of those newfangled washer that uses a low amount of water

and
keeps the clothes wet by pumping it over the top?

If it is, I had a similar problem with my whirlpool.

There is a chamber near the pump with one way valve in it.
On mine, a wire from a bra worked it's down into the mechanism and

blocked
the ball of the one way valve.

The pump ran constantly and could never fully drain the tank.

No, the pump runs great and drains the tank, but it never stops and
tank does not spin.

My friend suggested that it is due to a water level sensor
malfunctioning. I do not recall seeing such a sensor anywhere, but I
will look again tonight.

That would be the first thing I would check. It sounds like it doesn't know
the water is gone. Unfortunately mine has not failed yet so I can't tell
you where to find it.

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their

inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-21, Bill Noble wrote:

"manuals can be purchased on line fairly inexpensively - you will find a
manual helpful - typically this is the water level switch

Well, I fixed it -- the problem was that the line to water level
sensor that was obstructed -- but I would ike to buy a proper repair
manual. Where can I find one?

I found some a while back on eBay that were specific to manufacturers but
somewhat generic when it came to specific models. I didn't buy one yet
thanks to this NG and Google.