Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default What's a good top-loading washer?

"Guv Bob" wrote in
m:

I pulled out the machine today (GE WHRE5550K1WW) expecting to see
water, which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the
same as with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking
transmission seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell, by
the way....) I don't know exactly how old this one is, but I have a
note that I called GE in 2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.

For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80)
or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired,
they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a
new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was
($250 plus installation).

There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus
installation).

New Maytags are junk. Junked last one after extended warranty expired
because it had so many major repairs...that's right, it was like 3-5 yrs.

Bought a Speed Queen commercial top loader. Same machine as many
laundromats only without the coin box. No user electronic controls. No
electronic display at all. Mechanical dials with only basic settings.
Been working flawless and cleans better than that stupid microprocessing,
water saving, eco-****ing POS Maytag.

Won't find at appliance chains. Go to local appliance store/repair
business. Pricing is not low because it has no bells and whistles but you
don't want to buy bells & whistles. You want to buy a machine that cleans
and does not need an organ transplant 6-12 months. Bells & whistles money
is put into, yes, the machine and it's purpose - to wash. What a concept.