Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater again!

"philo " wrote in message
On 09/04/2014 09:48 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

This water heater stuff looks pretty straightforward

here is the first Google hit

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/adjust-...ght-47952.html

The contractor must be pretty inexperienced

They checked a variety of things. This particular guy was new to this
company as of about a year ago. He fixed my sink prior. But I don't
think he is new to the business. He did have a trainee with him. He
put in a new pilot light assembly.

But he apparently did not adjust it, so the guy must be very new..

probably you should call someone who knows how to do the job correctly

I don't know if he adjusted it or not. I was trying to watch but seeing
as how I don't know what they were doing unless they told me
specifically, well...

You are entitled to ask

Yes. But I really don't think that was the problem. It is no longer
getting the fault that it was since he changed the part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default car gas gauge / simple stuff

On 9/4/2014 10:26 PM, Bob F wrote:
I don't do the first few thing, and if I'm driving with unusual loads, I'm smart
enough to compensate. I'm not trying to use every last drop in the tank either.
The fact is that in my experience, gas gauges are very inaccurate and
non-linear.

I've found that about non linear. The first five
gals don't even register, so you keep thinking
the tank is full. And when it pegs on E, might be
five to eight gal in the tank.

Much better to fuel up more often, and keep the
tank full. less likely to run out of gas.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2014 10:26 PM, micky wrote:
On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 15:47:00 -0700 (PDT), BenDarrenBach
is no Thermocouple on this kind. It's
newer. It has a Thermo...something
else. Can't remember the name but it's fine.

Thermopile...perhaps?

Or there might be a pile of them.

Thermopile: N. The domed, mounded up mass of used
thermostats back at the shop, cause the boss never
throws anything away.

Thermopile: V. The act of technician putting thermo-
stats on top of the thermopile.

Thermopiler: N. The technician who is forced to put
the thermostat on the pile, rather than throw it out.

Gomerpiler: N. A technician who only replaces thermostats
but doesn't know how to diagnose anything else. A home
owner can be a Gomerpiler.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 7:44:51 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message

Julie Bove wrote:

Oh so annoying! I had called the plumber because it was getting to

where our replacement water heater had to be lit once a day.

Initially we had a new one installed on New Year's Eve, 2009. It

worked for a while but then I had to keep relighting it. At first it

was perhaps every three months, then every week then like every half

an hour.

They never could find out what was wrong with it. They replaced

every part they could and finally just gave us a new one. And it was

fine at first. But the same problems started happening up until now!

I just relight it perhaps 2 hours ago when daughter took a shower and

ran out of hot water. I had gotten to the point of being OCD in

checking it to make sure it was still lit. And it had been the last

time I looked. And even though it is a 50 gallon tank, apparently

when it goes out, the water cools very quickly.

So I relit it, called the plumber because it was getting to where I

had to light it daily. Plumber asked me some questions about it and

I had to go out there to look at it. And it it wasn't lit! So it

went out less than 20 minutes after I lit it. And now it won't light

at all. Grrr... Grrr... Grrr...

If it won't light at all, it could just be infant failure of a new

heater. It is unlikely to be the same problem that causes the old one

to act up. Does the pilot light but won't stay on, or just not light?

It's not new. It's about 2 years old. He put in a new pilot light

assembly. He had no trouble at all lighting it although he did have

trouble moving the round knob. I told him that it does that sometimes.

It's either easy to move or it sticks. Don't know why.

Hi,

That is gas valve aass'y. Then that ssould be first one to replace!!!

And as I recall, that was also one of the things replaced months ago,
mabye more than once.
That is another reason I have problems with people who just restart
the whole thing all over again, months later, without ever mentioning
the sequence of what was done last time. The whole history of everything
that was done is important, not just what was done this last round.
One gas valve going bad is certainly possible. It becomes less likely
when it's two or three in a row, expecially when plumbers are said to
be checking code books to see if the venting is correct or not, the
venting apparently must be somewhat unusual, and we have no pics or
description of any of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 02:30:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote in

Both
daughter and husband take super long showers and she is guilty of letting
the shower run for 10-20 minutes or longer before getting in it. Twice she
has fallen asleep with the shower running.

This is acceptable behavior from a daughter?
--
I kill-file all messages posted through Google Groups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 5, 2014 6:38:50 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Thermopile: V. The act of technician putting thermo-

stats on top of the thermopile.

Thankfully snipped

Thermo-pile: Noun; A hemorrhoid induced by a over-heated Jacuzzi.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 07:42:24 -0500, VinnyB
wrote:

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 02:30:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote in

Both
daughter and husband take super long showers and she is guilty of letting
the shower run for 10-20 minutes or longer before getting in it. Twice she
has fallen asleep with the shower running.

This is acceptable behavior from a daughter?

You're right.

You-2 should lay down the law. This is a tremedous waste of
everything. gas or electricity; water, and the steam is not good for
the house. Even in the biggest house it only takes 2 minutes for the
hot water to arrive.

As to hot showers, my mother thought hot baths were wonderful. She
begged me to try them and finally promised she'd never say another word
if I tried one once. I did and I hated it. She kept her word, though.

I take warm baths, and have to add more hot water every so often. I
brought in a thermometer to find out if the water was getting colder or
if I was just getting used to it, but I have only done one inconclusive
test.

My new water heater was not set as hot as the previous one, also bought
from Sears. I've been setting it up a little at a time, and then one
time it jumped up a degree or so on its own. I'm not sure how hot I
want it to be. It's nice that I can still put my hand in straight hot
water without burning myself, but if I don't make the tub hot enough on
the first 3/4's, just adding hot water is not enough to finish the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/05/2014 04:31 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

"philo " wrote in message
[...]

So you are saying that it's now fixed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 02:27:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

What is the make/model of the water heater?

Not sure of the model. It's on there somewhere as I heard the plumber
talking about it. I just didn't see it. It's a 50 gallon, Bradford White.

You did write the model down in the owner's manual, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 5, 2014 4:27:27 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

Not sure of the model. It's on there somewhere as I heard the plumber

talking about it. I just didn't see it. It's a 50 gallon, Bradford White.

Something like: DS1-50S6FBN

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:
I personally don't use a lot of hot water. I take quick showers,
rarely use the dishwasher and almost always wash clothing in cold. But...
Both daughter and husband take super long showers and she is
guilty of letting the shower run for 10-20 minutes or longer before
getting in it. Twice she has fallen asleep with the shower running. I don't
even notice until I realize that it is very quiet and then I
can feel the steam wafting out here. By then the entire room is
dripping wet. Neither she nor husband will use the vent fan! Oh and
body take super hot showers. I can not bear to get in the water at
the temperature they do.

At least get a humidity sensing switch for the bathroom fan. Personally, if
someone in my house were wasting that much water and heat, I'd probably be
timing them, and shutting off the water to the water heater after 10 minutes.
That final rinse in straight cold water a few times might convince them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2014 11:18 AM, Bob F wrote:

Personally, if
someone in my house were wasting that

much water and heat, I'd probably be
timing them, and shutting off the water

to the water heater after 10 minutes.
That final rinse in straight cold water

a few times might convince them.

That said, prepare for revenge.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater / simple stuff

On 04 Sep 2014 19:05:34 GMT, Zaky Waky wrote:

The sure sign of an asshole.

Is when you nym-shift Zacky Wacky from Wichita...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2014 11:18 AM, Bob F wrote:

At least get a humidity sensing switch for the bathroom fan. Personally, if
someone in my house were wasting that much water and heat, I'd probably be
timing them, and shutting off the water to the water heater after 10 minutes.
That final rinse in straight cold water a few times might convince them.

The response to turning off the hot water is amazing. Do it once or
twice and it won't happen again. My 27 year old grandson was in the
shower after midnight, but after 15 minutes I got out of bed, went
downstairs and turned the hot water off. He no longer risks long
showers. Neither does my daughter that I did it to a couple of times
many years ago.

At $3.60 a gallon for oil, get in, get out. No need to stay in there
wasting money. I have a quiet Panasonic fan too. It is on if the light
is on so they must use it or shower in the dark.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
VinnyB wrote:

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 02:30:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote in

Both
daughter and husband take super long showers and she is guilty of letting
the shower run for 10-20 minutes or longer before getting in it. Twice she
has fallen asleep with the shower running.

This is acceptable behavior from a daughter?

both daughter and husband have many behaviours that most would find
unacceptable. daughter refuses to cook most of the time but has special
food needs that the others don't. she also seems incapable of shopping
for food correctly.

it's obvious that with the major heat demand being the showers being
abused, a 50 gallon tank is absurd. smaller tank will teach them to use
water more wisely...eventually

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 07:33:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 9/4/2014 10:26 PM, Bob F wrote:
I don't do the first few thing, and if I'm driving with unusual loads, I'm smart
enough to compensate. I'm not trying to use every last drop in the tank either.
The fact is that in my experience, gas gauges are very inaccurate and
non-linear.

I've found that about non linear. The first five
gals don't even register, so you keep thinking
the tank is full. And when it pegs on E, might be
five to eight gal in the tank.

Much better to fuel up more often, and keep the
tank full. less likely to run out of gas.

The top third doesn't cost any more to fill than the bottom third.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2014 1:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
The response to turning off the hot water is amazing. Do it once or
twice and it won't happen again. My 27 year old grandson was in the
shower after midnight, but after 15 minutes I got out of bed, went
downstairs and turned the hot water off. He no longer risks long
showers. Neither does my daughter that I did it to a couple of times
many years ago.

Did you get any retaliatory strikes? I mean,
after the council of 1046 AD, this is THEIR
shower!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message

Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Some people don't have a sense of logic. Trouble-shooting any thing is
by logical step by step method to arrive at solution. Shot gunning often
does not go any where but wast much time. All in all that WH must be on
warranty yet. Maybe it's about time to call the manufacturer to raise a
stinker, I think so. Sounds like those plumbers are like headless
chickens running around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 9/4/2014 10:26 PM, micky wrote:
On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 15:47:00 -0700 (PDT), BenDarrenBach
is no Thermocouple on this kind. It's
newer. It has a Thermo...something
else. Can't remember the name but it's fine.

Thermopile...perhaps?

Or there might be a pile of them.

Thermopile: N. The domed, mounded up mass of used
thermostats back at the shop, cause the boss never
throws anything away.

I looked on the receipt. It does have a thermopile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is the make/model of the water heater?

Not sure of the model. It's on there somewhere as I heard the plumber
talking about it. I just didn't see it. It's a 50 gallon, Bradford
White.

You did write the model down in the owner's manual, right?

No. It is on the tank somewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BenDarrenBach" wrote in message
On Friday, September 5, 2014 4:27:27 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

Not sure of the model. It's on there somewhere as I heard the plumber

talking about it. I just didn't see it. It's a 50 gallon, Bradford
White.

Something like: DS1-50S6FBN

I know it's on there. I just didn't see it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"VinnyB" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 02:30:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote in

Both
daughter and husband take super long showers and she is guilty of letting
the shower run for 10-20 minutes or longer before getting in it. Twice
she
has fallen asleep with the shower running.

This is acceptable behavior from a daughter?

It's not acceptable for anyone but it's still what happened.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We used to take baths. We had to quit for a variety of reasons. One being
getting in and out of the tub without injury. We have a stupidly huge
jetted tub. I do prefer the tub but can't get in and out well and the water
heater simply isn't big enough to heat enough water to fill it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I will look into that switch the next time Mr. Handyman comes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2014 11:18 AM, Bob F wrote:

Personally, if
someone in my house were wasting that

much water and heat, I'd probably be
timing them, and shutting off the water

to the water heater after 10 minutes.
That final rinse in straight cold water

a few times might convince them.

That said, prepare for revenge.

Yep. I had computer trouble tonight and needed to shut off the wireless
router box to reboot. Husband was online so I was being kind and waiting
for him to finish what he was doing. Until he began yelling at me for
talking on the phone to try to resolve the problem with my email. You had
better believe that he lost the Internet then!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 9/5/2014 1:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
The response to turning off the hot water is amazing. Do it once or
twice and it won't happen again. My 27 year old grandson was in the
shower after midnight, but after 15 minutes I got out of bed, went
downstairs and turned the hot water off. He no longer risks long
showers. Neither does my daughter that I did it to a couple of times
many years ago.

Did you get any retaliatory strikes? I mean,
after the council of 1046 AD, this is THEIR
shower!

I don't personally even mind the long showers except when they happen in the
morning and we need to be somewhere. Neither one seems capable of taking a
quick shower even though husband was in the military and has explained to me
how to take a sea shower.

I was a teenager too and while I wasn't in the shower for a super long time,
I was in the bathroom for a long time trying all sorts of products and
mixing stuff up in the kitchen as well. Okay, sometimes I was in the shower
for a long time. Like the time I used baby oil as a hair conditioner. That
took days to wash out.

Anyway... I don't get the need to run the shower for a long time before
getting into it. Yeah the bathroom is far from the water heater and yeah it
can take 5 minutes for the hot water to get there. But... Put the sink on
to a trickle or even the shower! What I do is to brush my teeth and put the
hot water on while I'm doing that. By the time I get to the rinsing it is
usually hot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message
[...]

I guess that remains to be seen. The plumber never did get back to me but
he said he might not until Mon. It is working now and there are no faults.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message

Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

I did tell him everything to the best of my recollection. The problem is
that it is always at least a $250 bill just to call them out. I can't
afford to keep doing that. Between that and the kitchen sink that loves to
get clogged, I pay them a fortune!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message

Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

It has a 10 year warranty but... They only gave me 8 years on the new one
because the old one was already 2 years old when they replaced it. But...
They still charge me to come out and to replace the parts and charge me for
the parts. They say that they will try to get paid back from the company
but they rarely do.

The sad thing is, this is the third plumbing company I've called and they
come highly rated. They put in my parent's water heater. Same brand but
slightly older. They had no problems.

But... And I am no plumber here... My thinking is... If the real problem
lies in that it is not vented properly, then this in and of itself could be
knocking the other parts out one by one.

And if this is true, then why the flip didn't the guy who put it in, fix
that? He did retrofit it and put a little tank on the top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2014 3:18 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

That said, prepare for revenge.

Yep. I had computer trouble tonight and needed to shut off the wireless
router box to reboot. Husband was online so I was being kind and
waiting for him to finish what he was doing. Until he began yelling at
me for talking on the phone to try to resolve the problem with my
email. You had better believe that he lost the Internet then!

Returning reviling for reviling is a sure way to
send your marriage to Hell.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message

Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

I don't see how a vent problem could be knocking out components on the WH.
Even if the vent is blocked, I don't see how that can make the WH pilot go out.
Basic WHs are designed so that if the vent is totally blocked, the combustion
gases will just flow out into the air around the WH. They are specifically
designed to allow that to happen, as were older furnaces, before they went to
high efficiency designs. The thinking is it's better to have normal combustion
gases flowing than to have the appliance partially choked off, producing CO,
which will kill you.

That pilot light should stay lit even if the vent was closed off completely.
I also don't see how some dirt blockage on the air intake could cause it
either, as has been suggested. The thing obviously gets enough air to
fire up and run, once it's lit. The pilot
only needs 3 orders of magnitude less air to stay lit. If anything is going
on related to the venting, then I say it's most likely that it has some
unusual venting that leads to sudden gusts blowing the pilot out.

Have you called the Bradford help line, told them the long history of
problems? What did they have to say? Google for "Bradford pilot light won't stay lit?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 2:22:33 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

Anyway... I don't get the need to run the shower for a long time before

getting into it. Yeah the bathroom is far from the water heater and yeah it

can take 5 minutes for the hot water to get there.

I think she is running the shower to "steam-up" the bathroom...she doesn't like the chill when you get out! My.02
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/06/2014 07:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Returning reviling for reviling is a sure way to
send your marriage to Hell.

Marriage *is* Hell!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2014 3:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

My new water heater was not set as hot as the previous one, also bought
from Sears. I've been setting it up a little at a time, and then one
time it jumped up a degree or so on its own. I'm not sure how hot I
want it to be. It's nice that I can still put my hand in straight hot
water without burning myself, but if I don't make the tub hot enough on
the first 3/4's, just adding hot water is not enough to finish the job.

We used to take baths. We had to quit for a variety of reasons. One
being getting in and out of the tub without injury. We have a stupidly
huge jetted tub. I do prefer the tub but can't get in and out well and
the water heater simply isn't big enough to heat enough water to fill it.

Temperature should be 120 to 130. Any hotter is a scalding potential
problem, anything less invites bacteria to thrive.

Filling a big tub takes lots of water and energy. Showers can be much
more efficient unless you buse them running the water for a long time
before getting in, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2014 3:25 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

I did tell him everything to the best of my recollection. The problem
is that it is always at least a $250 bill just to call them out. I
can't afford to keep doing that. Between that and the kitchen sink that
loves to get clogged, I pay them a fortune!

You really have to find a local handyman that is reasonably priced. Ask
around, check for ads on the store bulletin boards, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 9:09:43 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/6/2014 3:25 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

I did tell him everything to the best of my recollection. The problem

is that it is always at least a $250 bill just to call them out. I

can't afford to keep doing that. Between that and the kitchen sink that

loves to get clogged, I pay them a fortune!

You really have to find a local handyman that is reasonably priced. Ask

around, check for ads on the store bulletin boards, etc.

Especially when the plumbers can't identify the source of the problem. We
still know zippo about how this thing is vented. From history, AFAIK,
everything that could be responsible on the WH has been replaced, most of
it multiple times, ie thermocouple, gas valve, pilot burner.

Curiously she said something about the plumbers checking to see if the
venting meets state code, because it didn't meet national code? My leading
theory would be that it has some vent system that somehow allows a sudden
gust of air to blow it out. But she has also said that it doesn't appear
to be related to wind, which goes against that.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove typed:
"BenDarrenBach" wrote in message
On Friday, September 5, 2014 4:27:27 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

Not sure of the model. It's on there somewhere as I heard the
plumber talking about it. I just didn't see it. It's a 50 gallon,
Bradford
White.

I know it's on there. I just didn't see it.

I think it would really be helpful if you would go and take a look at the
model number and post the model number here. If you have a digital camera,
sometimes an easy way to see and read the model number is to take a photo of
it.

Among other things, that would allow people here to determine if it is a
direct vent water heater etc., and also enable looking up the various parts
that your particular water heater has.

You could also go to http://www.repairclinic.com/ and try clicking on
"Repair Help" in the upper right hand corner of the page. Water heaters are
shown under "Heating and Cooling". And, the actual parts are shown on the
main page.

Also, with a digital camera or cell phone camera, you could take a photo or
two of the "venting" that keeps coming up as a possible cause/issue/problem.
You could use a free website like http://tinypic.com/ to create a link to
the photos that you could post here.

This is a long thread, and you have been very responsive to what has been
posted, but I think a little more detail about the specific model number and
what the venting looks like may help -- especially since you said that you
keep spending a lot of money having people come out to look at and try to
fix the problem.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:

We used to take baths. We had to quit for a variety of reasons. One
being getting in and out of the tub without injury. We have a
stupidly huge jetted tub. I do prefer the tub but can't get in and
out well and the water heater simply isn't big enough to heat enough
water to fill it.

My father's last house had one of those tubs, and 2 large water heaters to fill
it. Without larger heaters, they have to be quite high in temperature to do the
job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:
I did tell him everything to the best of my recollection. The
problem is that it is always at least a $250 bill just to call them
out. I can't afford to keep doing that. Between that and the
kitchen sink that loves to get clogged, I pay them a fortune!

What do they find when the sink is plugged? IT might be time to cease using the
disposal. Have you ever tried the trick of dumping a huge pot of soapy boiling
water down the drain every month or so? Do you avoid letting grease go down the
drain as much as possible?