Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default question about space heater in patio-- connected to water heater

Hi
ive got a floor heater in my patio that is hooked up to my main water
heater..... the fans are making a lot of noise.. I want to oil the
fans, what type of lubricant should I use? silicon spray or wd40?
the brand is vrv products out of michigan
thanks
KOS
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fans use typically ND-20. The products you mention will dry
out promptly, and make it worse.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi
ive got a floor heater in my patio that is hooked up to my
main water
heater..... the fans are making a lot of noise.. I want to
oil the
fans, what type of lubricant should I use? silicon spray or
wd40?
the brand is vrv products out of michigan
thanks
KOS

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi
ive got a floor heater in my patio that is hooked up to my main water
heater..... the fans are making a lot of noise.. I want to oil the
fans, what type of lubricant should I use? silicon spray or wd40?
the brand is vrv products out of michigan
thanks
KOS

Neither. Use an oil designed for motors, such as regular 30 weight
non-detergent motor oil. Used to be 3 in 1 was good for that but I don't
know if it still is.

The fans may be noisy for other reasons too. Poor design, something hitting
the blades, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 5:34*pm, beecrofter wrote:
3 in 1 makes an oil in a blue can labeled for fractional HP motors.
Overlubrication will kill a motor in a hurry by holding all the dirt.
Sometimes you can turn a motor with plain bearings 90 or 180 degrees
in
a belt driven setup and use the part of the bearing that has not yet
worn egg shaped.
One can is only a few Oz, 3 If I recall but consider 1 teaspoon=100
drops.

My big peave is the small tefc motors that are welded shut.

Most bearings in any fans of this kind made for decades now have
sealed bearings that are not designed to be lubed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 3:54*pm, KOS wrote:
Hi
ive got a floor heater in my patio that is hooked up to my main water
heater..... the fans are making a lot of noise.. I want to oil the
fans, what type of lubricant should I use? silicon spray or wd40?
the brand is vrv products out of michigan
thanks
KOS

make certain fans and area around them are clean and no air
obstructions, power it off and check fans for easy turning. fan motor
may need lubed, but dirt buildup obstructing airflow can cause motor
noise.

added motor load causes noise.

so can loose hardware