Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you sharpen kitchen fruit peelers?

I have two fruit peelers, one of which is dull.
http://oi59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg
How does one sharpen them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2014 8:49 AM, Angel Rodriguez wrote:
I have two fruit peelers, one of which is dull.
http://oi59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg
How does one sharpen them?

Beats me, after 10 years or so we toss it and get a new one. You'd have
to get a stone in there somehow to get it right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 05:49:37 -0700, Angel Rodriguez
wrote:

I have two fruit peelers, one of which is dull.
http://oi59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg
How does one sharpen them?

Depends.

go to hardware store and buy a set of those tiny hand files. try to
sharpenby using the various type of file that fits.

Be prepared these may be super hardened ?? in order to not need sharpening
[yeah, sure, as verified by your question], which are harder than your
file and you won't get anywhere.

Then that will require diamond files, not actually 'diamond' but granular
diamonds all over the surface. Which means go online to look for those,
anything that can file down through a lock clasp should work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Angel,

There are a few special sharpener jigs available but they are expensive
and I've no idea how well they work.
Oxo makes a peeler in which the blade can be replaced. The peeler sells
for around $10 and new blades go for around $5.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/5/2014 8:49 AM, Angel Rodriguez wrote:
I have two fruit peelers, one of which is dull.
http://oi59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg
How does one sharpen them?

Beats me, after 10 years or so we toss it and get a new one. You'd have
to get a stone in there somehow to get it right.

+1. Most fruits we eat w/o peeling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Angel Rodriguez wrote:
I have two fruit peelers, one of which is dull.
http://oi59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg
How does one sharpen them?

Store them in a pyramid??
http://pyramidrazorsharpener.wordpress.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

The time and effort to sharpen aren't worth the cost of new peelers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Angel Rodriguez" wrote in message
worldhosting.com
I have two fruit peelers, one of which is dull.
http://oi59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg
How does one sharpen them?

If I were going to try to sharpen rather than replace I wouldn't mess
with the beveled side, just use a stone on the other side. AAMOF, I just
looked at my wife's and that is where they were sharpend originally.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 08:03:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is worth investing $20 for tools to sharpen an item you can buy for
$5? In the past 48 years we've bought maybe three peelers and probably
would have lost the sharpening stones in between anyway.

Do you sharpen drill bits on your bench grinder?
I do.

It's worth having a sharp bit, and not having to drive down to the
store just to buy a $2 drill bit.

Likewise, is it worth sharpening your chain saw?
Again, most people do even though a brand new chain is only about
20 bucks.

What about an old kitchen knife?
Do you just buy a new one every time it gets dull?

I doubt that you do, if you're on this newsgroup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 08:40:37 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

that is where they were sharpend originally.

Originally?
And where are they sharpened now?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 09:30:17 -0400, noname wrote:

sharpening a fricken potato peeler ain't worth the time and effort.

I guess shop tools are worth the time and effort, but
not kitchen implements.

Makes sense. The wife wouldn't know the difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Angel Rodriguez" wrote in message
worldhosting.com...
I have two fruit peelers, one of which is dull.
http://oi59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg
How does one sharpen them?

there are a variety of methods discussed on the internet:

use a stone

use a steel, by "peeling" the steel

use a paring knife

use the bottom of a nonglazed ceramic cup

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Handy Mann" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 21:10:03 -0700, wrote:

The time and effort to sharpen aren't worth the cost of new peelers.

Then why does anyone sharpen a chain saw blade with a file?
Or a knife on a sandstone?
Or a drill bit in a bench grinder?
Or a lawn mower blade with a dremel tool?
etc

Certainly sharpening is worth the effort.
You just have to have the tools and technique which is what the
guy was asking.

For me it is a balancing act. I sharpen most items around the house. Even
have a $ 100+ drill doctor to sharpen bits as I never learned to do it on a
grinder. No more than I drill, it would probably pay me to just get new
bits. Got that drill doctor for a Christmas present as I could not think of
anything else I wanted.

Other things such as putting some tar on the roof I use inexpensive paint
brushes and throw them away. It would cost more for cleaner than the
brushes.
Last year I tosssed out a John Deere mower that had about 350 hours on it.
About 8 years old. The transaxel went out. It would have cost about half th
eprice of the mower to replace it and it still would only be good for about
that much longer. Thought I was buying quality,but found out later they made
a piece of junk to sell. Last Deere I will buy.

If that fruit peeler is less than say $ 5 and you don't have a tool to
sharpen it, toss and get a new one. If you do have the tool and it takes
only a short time , then sharpen it. I often sharpen the blades on my
utility knife as it only takes a short time to do so even though they are
not very expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 6, 2014 9:52:18 AM UTC-4, Harry K wrote:
On Saturday, July 5, 2014 10:20:26 PM UTC-7, Handy Mann wrote:

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 21:10:03 -0700, wrote:

The time and effort to sharpen aren't worth the cost of new peelers.

Then why does anyone sharpen a chain saw blade with a file?

Or a knife on a sandstone?

Or a drill bit in a bench grinder?

Or a lawn mower blade with a dremel tool?

etc

Certainly sharpening is worth the effort.

You just have to have the tools and technique which is what the

guy was asking.

Because the items you mention are relatively high dollar items, need sharping often so the cost of the sharpening tools is worth it.

Buying tools to sharpen something that costs less than a couple bucks? No way.

I'm still using the same peeler I bought some 40 years ago and it is still just fine.

Harry K

Harry K

I'd also add that the items on his list have designs that make it
easy and practical to sharpen them. I can sharpen a mower blade very
easily in a few minutes with a handheld grinder. A peeler is typically
made of stainless steel and has a blade in a small opening. I think it
would be a PIA to get a file on it at the right angle and to do the
filing. If he wants to compare it to other sharp things, it would seem
to me it's more like a disposable razor blade than it is a lawn mower
blade. Maybe it can be done and it's practical, but so far I don't see
anyone saying they do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Angel Rodriguez wrote:
I have two fruit peelers, one of which is dull.
http://oi59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg
How does one sharpen them?

With a small stone. You will be sharpening one side of each blade,
but plenty of good knives are sharpened on only one side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jul 2014 10:54:52 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

For me it is a balancing act. I sharpen most items around the house. Even
have a $ 100+ drill doctor to sharpen bits as I never learned to do it on a
grinder. No more than I drill, it would probably pay me to just get new
bits. Got that drill doctor for a Christmas present as I could not think of
anything else I wanted.

I ran across this video from a machinist. Nice video.

_How to Hand Sharpen a Twist Drill _

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0SQkzScQk0

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 6, 2014 12:04:52 PM UTC-4, Not@home wrote:
Angel Rodriguez wrote:

I have two fruit peelers, one of which is dull.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg

How does one sharpen them?

With a small stone. You will be sharpening one side of each blade,

but plenty of good knives are sharpened on only one side.

IDK what kind of peeler you have, but the ones I have, there is no
way to get to the edge with a stone. The edge is in a small opening
and on an angle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Handy Mann wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 08:03:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is worth investing $20 for tools to sharpen an item you can buy for
$5? In the past 48 years we've bought maybe three peelers and probably
would have lost the sharpening stones in between anyway.

Do you sharpen drill bits on your bench grinder?
I do.

It's worth having a sharp bit, and not having to drive down to the
store just to buy a $2 drill bit.

I don't think I've ever driven down to the store _just_ to buy a $2 drill
bit. If I need a bit, I'll buy it when I'm there for other items.

Likewise, is it worth sharpening your chain saw?
Again, most people do even though a brand new chain is only about
20 bucks.

How often do you need to sharpen a chain vs. how often do you need to
sharpen a vegetable peeler? Multiple $20 adds up quick. $10 every "many"
years doesn't add up to much at all.

What about an old kitchen knife?

My old kitchen knives would cost me hundreds to replace. My old vegetable
peeler? $10. No comparison price wise, no comparison when it comes to ease
a sharpening correctly.

Do you just buy a new one every time it gets dull?

No, I don't, but I also don't compare apples to oranges.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Handy Mann" wrote in message

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 08:40:37 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

that is where they were sharpend originally.

Originally?
And where are they sharpened now?

China.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2014 10:35 AM, Handy Mann wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 08:03:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is worth investing $20 for tools to sharpen an item you can buy for
$5? In the past 48 years we've bought maybe three peelers and probably
would have lost the sharpening stones in between anyway.

Do you sharpen drill bits on your bench grinder?
I do.

I don't. I use mostly smaller bit that I can't easily sharpen and I'm
not going to invest in a fixture or Drill Doctor. Brad points I do with
a file.

It's worth having a sharp bit, and not having to drive down to the
store just to buy a $2 drill bit.

Likewise, is it worth sharpening your chain saw?
Again, most people do even though a brand new chain is only about
20 bucks.

What about an old kitchen knife?
Do you just buy a new one every time it gets dull?

I doubt that you do, if you're on this newsgroup.

But I buy a new peeler every 25 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jul 2014, Handy Mann wrote:

Do you sharpen drill bits on your bench grinder?
I do.

It is not good to sharpen anything on a dry wheel bench grinder. Items
should only be sharpened on a wet wheel. Without the water the metal will
heat up. Then the item being sharpened will lose its temper. Without the
original temper it will not stay sharp for long.

Here is a fellow using a wet wheel:
http://www.x-caliburknifeandscissors.../Services.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On 07/06/2014 09:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

But I buy a new peeler every 25 years.

I don't even own a peeler. I don't feel the need to peel fruits and veggies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 18:22:43 +0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My old kitchen knives would cost me hundreds to replace. My old vegetable
peeler? $10. No comparison price wise, no comparison when it comes to ease
a sharpening correctly.

That peeler in the photo cost around $20 (same as the chain saw).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 21:18:06 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't. I use mostly smaller bit that I can't easily sharpen and I'm
not going to invest in a fixture or Drill Doctor. Brad points I do with
a file.

It's easy to sharpen drill bits with a bench grinder.
You don't need no stinking fixture or drill doctor you know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 10:54:52 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

If that fruit peeler is less than say $ 5 and you don't have a tool to
sharpen it, toss and get a new one.

It's $20. Same as a chainsaw chain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 09:15:33 -0700, Oren wrote:

I ran across this video from a machinist. Nice video.
_How to Hand Sharpen a Twist Drill _
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0SQkzScQk0

I worked in tool and die shops while putting myself through college.
We sharpened them a few times a day, and did it all by eye,
regulating the angles and pressure on the fly.

As in the video, we used the tool rest as we angled the bit.
We didn't go horizontally across the wheel edge, but up and down,
up and down, up and down, lighter and heavier, lighter and heavier,
lighter and heavier, twisting the bit slightly back & forth.

Unlike that video, we didn't measure anything formally.
It was all by eye. Plus, we did all the steps together, in a single
3D up and down twisting motion, for each side in turn.

Never did we grind flat & static like he did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Angel Rodriguez wrote:

Unlike that video, we didn't measure anything formally.
It was all by eye. Plus, we did all the steps together, in a single
3D up and down twisting motion, for each side in turn.

Ah, there is the problem. I probably can't see anything under a 1/4" bit
anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Angel Rodriguez wrote:

I have two fruit peelers, one of which is dull.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg

How does one sharpen them?

With a small stone. You will be sharpening one side of each blade,

but plenty of good knives are sharpened on only one side.

IDK what kind of peeler you have, but the ones I have, there is no
way to get to the edge with a stone. The edge is in a small opening
and on an angle.

If you can get the edge to the vegetable, you can get it to a small stone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 11:05:23 +0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That peeler in the photo cost around $20 (same as the chain saw).

Your point?

Some people said that it would be $5 which it isn't anywhere
close to since it's four times that, which factors into the
re-use equation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Angel Rodriguez wrote:
I have two fruit peelers, one of which is dull.
http://oi59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg
How does one sharpen them?

Store them in a pyramid??
http://pyramidrazorsharpener.wordpress.com/

I used to sharpen double edged safety razor blades by rubbng them around
the inside of a water glass.

Remember that trick?

I stopped doing that when the British Wilkinson Sword double edged
stainless steel razor blades became available in the USA in the mid 60s.
Those blades didn't quickly dull through rusting the way the Gillette
"Blue Blades" did.

It was quite a challenge early on to find a place that had them in
stock. Most stores sold out of them faster than you can lay a brick.
(You know that the difference between laying a brick and a blonde is
that the brick doesn't ask for anything the next day.)

I've noticed recently that those olde double edged razor blades and
razors are "coming back". Prolly because the price of blades for most
shaving razors has been climbing out of sight over the last decade or so.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

I stopped doing that when the British Wilkinson Sword double edged

stainless steel razor blades became available in the USA in the mid 60s.
Those blades didn't quickly dull through rusting the way the Gillette
"Blue Blades" did.

It was the late 60's before I started shaving. I tried several blades and
the Wilkinson worked the best for me. I hated it when they seemed to
dissapear and those modern double and tripple and more blade things
appeared.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 7, 2014 2:58:38 AM UTC-7, Angel Rodriguez wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 18:22:43 +0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My old kitchen knives would cost me hundreds to replace. My old vegetable

peeler? $10. No comparison price wise, no comparison when it comes to ease

a sharpening correctly.

That peeler in the photo cost around $20 (same as the chain saw).

1. If they are concerned about the cost of a peeler, anyone who pays $20 for a simple peeler is nuts

2. The chainsaw chain needs to be sharpened often. 10 minutes and a realatively cheap file saves bunches of money over the life of he chain. A peeler? Maybe once in a lifetime and then it is easier and faster to buy a new one.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 07:00:12 -0700, Harry K wrote:

1. If they are concerned about the cost of a peeler,
anyone who pays $20 for a simple peeler is nuts

Let's be clear that the whole point is simply to maintain
our tools, period. So, for the same reason we sharpen a
knife, we'd want to sharpen a kitchen peeler.

The fact the sharp peeler on the right costs $20 while
the dull peeler on the left costs $5 isn't the point.
http://i59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg

The point is HOW to sharpen the peeler.

2. The chainsaw chain needs to be sharpened often.
10 minutes and a realatively cheap file saves bunches
of money over the life of he chain. A peeler? Maybe
once in a lifetime and then it is easier and faster to
buy a new one.

I get your argument, but mine is that it must be even
easier to sharpen a single-angle kitchen peeler than it
is to sharpen 75 or so angled blades on a chain, so, I
would have thought everyone does it (just as everyone
sharpens their own knives).

The fact that I didn't know how seems to be universal, as
neither does anyone else (since they don't bother).

OK. I got the point. I will try on my own then.

Since I bought the $20 peeler to replace the dull $5 peeler,
I can afford to make mistakes while learning how to
sharpen it on my own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Angel Rodriguez wrote:

I have two fruit peelers, one of which is dull.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg

How does one sharpen them?

With a small stone. You will be sharpening one side of each blade,

but plenty of good knives are sharpened on only one side.

IDK what kind of peeler you have, but the ones I have, there is no

way to get to the edge with a stone. The edge is in a small opening

and on an angle.

If you can get the edge to the vegetable, you can get it to a small stone.

The vegetable doesn't go where the stone has to go. Only the thin
peel coming off the vegetable does and it's a small, narrow opening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:46:11 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

If you can get the edge to the vegetable, you can get it to a small stone.

The vegetable doesn't go where the stone has to go. Only the thin

peel coming off the vegetable does and it's a small, narrow opening.

Yup.

I used my wife's vegetable peeler to shape a piece of HDPE I needed for a project. You can't sand that stuff, it just fuzzes.

Then I tried to sharpen it before I sneaked it back in the silverware drawer.

Did not succeed. Maybe with a tiny file and a lot of patience? It's hard to get the right angle on it.

Fruit flies Matthew.Ridges UK diy 4 September 28th 10 07:24 AM
fruit flies Dave UK diy 16 September 25th 10 07:09 PM
How to sharpen old Kitchen Devil Professional knives? Chris UK diy 10 November 17th 08 05:45 PM
fruit and vegetable bin plans No Name Woodworking 5 June 7th 08 12:27 PM
Fruit pickers? LurfysMa Home Repair 6 January 23rd 07 11:43 AM