Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fruit flies

We seem to have an infestation of the buggers at the minutes. We have a
squeaky clean house, no rubbish laying around, or anything like that. There
just seems to be a load of them everywhere.

I've tried fly spray which does work, but is short lived and is coating
everything with whatever is in the can which can't be good and fly strips
which is useless its the rentokill one, only caught one fly on it they just
go around it, I suspect they are too intelliggent lol

Any advice on how to get rid of them ?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matthew.Ridges" wrote in message
We seem to have an infestation of the buggers at the minutes. We have a
squeaky clean house, no rubbish laying around, or anything like that.
There just seems to be a load of them everywhere.

I've tried fly spray which does work, but is short lived and is coating
everything with whatever is in the can which can't be good and fly strips
which is useless its the rentokill one, only caught one fly on it they
just go around it, I suspect they are too intelliggent lol

Any advice on how to get rid of them ?

Thanks

Are they perhaps living in your houseplant compost? Take a look to see if
there are any jumping about on the compost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2010 3:51 a.m., Matthew.Ridges wrote:
We seem to have an infestation of the buggers at the minutes. We have a
squeaky clean house, no rubbish laying around, or anything like that. There
just seems to be a load of them everywhere.

I've tried fly spray which does work, but is short lived and is coating
everything with whatever is in the can which can't be good and fly strips
which is useless its the rentokill one, only caught one fly on it they just
go around it, I suspect they are too intelliggent lol

Any advice on how to get rid of them ?

Why get rid of them? Live with them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Whitworth" wrote in message

"Matthew.Ridges" wrote in message
We seem to have an infestation of the buggers at the minutes. We have a
squeaky clean house, no rubbish laying around, or anything like that.
There just seems to be a load of them everywhere.

I've tried fly spray which does work, but is short lived and is coating
everything with whatever is in the can which can't be good and fly strips
which is useless its the rentokill one, only caught one fly on it they
just go around it, I suspect they are too intelliggent lol

Any advice on how to get rid of them ?

Thanks

Are they perhaps living in your houseplant compost? Take a look to see if
there are any jumping about on the compost.

The ones in the house plant compost are usually the little black 'fungus
flies'; rather smaller than the fatter, brown, big eyed, fruit fly proper.
As noted in the earlier thread on the subject the fruit flies proper can
often be trapped with fruity/yeasty stuff in jam jars (they are especially
attracted to new baked bread). The soil based fungus flies (you will see
their shiny transparent grubs in your houseplant soil) are more difficult to
deal with. The best I managed was to cut circles of plastic bag to fit
around the plants, and paint them with sunflower oil. The flies seem to be
almost magnetically attracted to the sunflower oil, and it dries to quite a
serious glue.

Once the *fruit* flies are under control, the organic veg delivery brings
more each week, but I have learned to have Henry at the ready and soon mop
them up quite satisfyingly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 990422 20100927 155104 "Matthew.Ridges" wrote:
We seem to have an infestation of the buggers at the minutes. We have a
squeaky clean house, no rubbish laying around, or anything like that. There
just seems to be a load of them everywhere.

I've tried fly spray which does work, but is short lived and is coating
everything with whatever is in the can which can't be good and fly strips
which is useless its the rentokill one, only caught one fly on it they just
go around it, I suspect they are too intelliggent lol

Any advice on how to get rid of them ?

Bring a few spiders into the house? ;-)

fruit flies Dave UK diy 16 September 25th 10 07:09 PM
fruit and vegetable bin plans No Name Woodworking 5 June 7th 08 12:27 PM
Possibly fruit flies indoors - luring & trapping them? shaz likd Home Repair 21 September 30th 07 02:40 AM
Fruit pickers? LurfysMa Home Repair 6 January 23rd 07 11:43 AM
fruit flies coming out of bathroom sink drain Bucky Home Ownership 7 April 24th 06 01:32 AM