Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fruit pickers?

I have an orange tree that produces decent oranges. Every year, I have
a battle getting the oranges from any but the lowest branches.

Two years ago, I bought one of those pickers with the wire basket,
like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Picker-W...6?ie=UTF8&s=hi

It works more or less, but there are problems. The claws can be
difficult to use, especially if the fruit is close to a branch or
another orange. It doesn't really grab the fruit so I have to pull
down pretty hard in order to be able to apply any twisting motion at
all. Sometimes I end up tearing off part of the branch. This shakes
the tree and causes other oranges to fall and get bruised.

I just did another search and the only thing I came up with is this
one:

http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Picker-t...28da1 7020204

It looks like it might work better.

Has anyone used it? Care to share experiences? It gets good reiews on
Amazon.

Does anyone have a better idea or pointer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:21:47 -0800, LurfysMa
wrote:

[...]

Try posting on rec.garden
Posted to alt.home.repair

LurfysMa wrote:
It works more or less, but there are problems. The claws can be
difficult to use, especially if the fruit is close to a branch or
another orange. It doesn't really grab the fruit so I have to pull
down pretty hard in order to be able to apply any twisting motion at
all. Sometimes I end up tearing off part of the branch. This shakes
the tree and causes other oranges to fall and get bruised.

We pick fruit off our trees also.
You can't force the fruit. If it doesn't want to let
go, it's not ready so you should leave it. When
the fruit is ready to pick, there will be plenty that
will "let go" of the branch.

thetiler

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Jan 2007 18:53:35 -0800, "thetiler" wrote:

LurfysMa wrote:
It works more or less, but there are problems. The claws can be
difficult to use, especially if the fruit is close to a branch or
another orange. It doesn't really grab the fruit so I have to pull
down pretty hard in order to be able to apply any twisting motion at
all. Sometimes I end up tearing off part of the branch. This shakes
the tree and causes other oranges to fall and get bruised.

We pick fruit off our trees also.
You can't force the fruit. If it doesn't want to let
go, it's not ready so you should leave it. When
the fruit is ready to pick, there will be plenty that
will "let go" of the branch.

It may not be ready to let go, but it's ready to eat. I'm not going to
go out every day and test each orange. I'm not picking for Harry and
David. If I wait, many of them fall onto the ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default vegetables talking about fruit?

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
| On 22 Jan 2007 18:53:35 -0800, "thetiler" wrote:
|

| LurfysMa wrote:
| It works more or less, but there are problems. The claws can be
| difficult to use, especially if the fruit is close to a branch or
| another orange. It doesn't really grab the fruit so I have to pull
| down pretty hard in order to be able to apply any twisting motion
at
| all. Sometimes I end up tearing off part of the branch. This shakes
| the tree and causes other oranges to fall and get bruised.
|
| We pick fruit off our trees also.
| You can't force the fruit. If it doesn't want to let
| go, it's not ready so you should leave it. When
| the fruit is ready to pick, there will be plenty that
| will "let go" of the branch.
|
| It may not be ready to let go, but it's ready to eat. I'm not going to
| go out every day and test each orange. I'm not picking for Harry and
| David. If I wait, many of them fall onto the ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LurfysMa wrote:

I have an orange tree that produces decent oranges. Every year, I have
a battle getting the oranges from any but the lowest branches.

Two years ago, I bought one of those pickers with the wire basket,
like this one:

If citrus are ripe enough, they should come off in the basket. If they
hit the ground, make juice.