Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fruit flies

Is this mass invasion going on across the whole of the county? I have
never seen as many as this year. **** flies and wasps look to have
abandoned us this year.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

Is this mass invasion going on across the whole of the county?

No fruit flies here in the middle bit.

wasps look to have abandoned us this year.

I must have had a wasp nest somewhere closeby (as close as the loft
perhaps) judging by the number that have drowned themselves in the bog
in the last month.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:20:22 +0100, Dave
wrote:

Is this mass invasion going on across the whole of the county? I have
never seen as many as this year. **** flies and wasps look to have
abandoned us this year.

Dave

Never see any here, just bluebottles and mossies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Is this mass invasion going on across the whole of the county? I have
never seen as many as this year. **** flies and wasps look to have
abandoned us this year.

Dave

I'm assuming you're in the North of the country? - everyone around here has
been innundated with these little *******s all summer - fly spray does
nothing to them.....I googled and found some ideas about making traps, so i
made one and caught about 50 in one day.
It was basically a jar with a cone made from card taped around the top,
inside the jar was a chopped up tomato and a tablespoon of cider - they get
in through a small hole at the pointy end of the cone but can't find their
way out afterwards.

Must admit, they seem to have dissapeared in the past week or two, or at
least there's not as many

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2010 19:09, Phil L wrote:
Dave wrote:
Is this mass invasion going on across the whole of the county? I have
never seen as many as this year. **** flies and wasps look to have
abandoned us this year.

Dave

I'm assuming you're in the North of the country?

Yes, Lancashire.

everyone around here has
been innundated with these little *******s all summer - fly spray does
nothing to them.....I googled and found some ideas about making traps, so i
made one and caught about 50 in one day.
It was basically a jar with a cone made from card taped around the top,
inside the jar was a chopped up tomato and a tablespoon of cider - they get
in through a small hole at the pointy end of the cone but can't find their
way out afterwards.

Nice, I'll try that next year.

Must admit, they seem to have dissapeared in the past week or two, or at
least there's not as many.

We are still inundated with them, there must have been about 8 to 10
trying to get into a banana this morning.

Thanks to all for the info, it looks like a North West thing then.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Is this mass invasion going on across the whole of the county? I have
never seen as many as this year. **** flies and wasps look to have
abandoned us this year.

Dave

Apart from the obvious clouds of them in the compost bin, our fruit flies
come with the bananas in our organic veg box every other week.

Henry the vacuum cleaner with the 'behind the settee cushions' adaptor, is
the easiest way to catch them.

Tried various trap mixtures for them but they never seem to work for long.

(The little black 'soil flies' that are slimmer than the Drosophila are even
harder to catch though...)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave :
Is this mass invasion going on across the whole of the county?

Not here in Cheshire. Lots of plums and blackberries, though.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2010 07:30, Mike Barnes wrote:
:
Is this mass invasion going on across the whole of the county?

Not here in Cheshire. Lots of plums and blackberries, though.

That was an interesting point, you are not that far South of me. I live
not very far South of Preston, Lancs.

Just opened a new shrink wrapped bag of Winward Isle bananas and I would
swear that a fruit fly came out of the bag :-((

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote in -
september.org:

That was an interesting point, you are not that far South of me. I live
not very far South of Preston, Lancs.

Just opened a new shrink wrapped bag of Winward Isle bananas and I would
swear that a fruit fly came out of the bag :-((

That's very possible. "Time flies like and arrow, and fruit flies like
bananas..." ;-)

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article , AL_n
wrote:
Just opened a new shrink wrapped bag of Winward Isle
bananas and I would swear that a fruit fly came out of
the bag :-((

That's very possible. "Time flies like and arrow, and
fruit flies like bananas..." ;-)

Tits like coconuts ;-)

--
John Mulrooney

Success is a journey, not a destination.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2010 19:19, JTM wrote:
In , AL_n
wrote:
Just opened a new shrink wrapped bag of Winward Isle
bananas and I would swear that a fruit fly came out of
the bag :-((

That's very possible. "Time flies like and arrow, and
fruit flies like bananas..." ;-)

Tits like coconuts ;-)

And are a similar shape :-)

I was in my local about two weeks ago when the barmaid brought some
lemons into the bar to slice up for lemon slices for drinks.

I noticed that they had what looked like nipples on one end. I ask my
drinking companion why they had nipples on the end and he immediately
came back with the comment...

So you can suck them.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 19:19:10 +0100, JTM wrote:

In article , AL_n
wrote:
Just opened a new shrink wrapped bag of Winward Isle bananas and I
would swear that a fruit fly came out of the bag :-((

That's very possible. "Time flies like and arrow, and fruit flies like
bananas..." ;-)

Tits like coconuts ;-)

and a butt like a pair of badly-parked Volkswagens.
(what the heck was that from? It's going to bug me now)

fruit and vegetable bin plans No Name Woodworking 5 June 7th 08 12:27 PM
Possibly fruit flies indoors - luring & trapping them? shaz likd Home Repair 21 September 30th 07 02:40 AM
Fruit pickers? LurfysMa Home Repair 6 January 23rd 07 11:43 AM
fruit flies coming out of bathroom sink drain Bucky Home Ownership 7 April 24th 06 01:32 AM
Paint for fruit press MarkF UK diy 0 May 25th 05 05:51 PM