Posted to rec.gardens,alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.entomology.misc

Default Possibly fruit flies indoors - luring & trapping them?

I've got these little insects / bugs / gnats.....whatever you want to
call them....buzzing around our kitchen and in the office room at home.
I initially thought they were small mosquitoes, but after having a
really close look at them, and getting to know them almost on a first-
name-basis, they are definitely not mosquitoes. (As an aside, I
definitely do get mosquitoes inside from time to time, and my hatred
for them drives me to the wall, but those airborne vampires are a
different matter). These little pests love my laptop screen too.
I think they might by fruit flies - possibly. Anyway, what is the best
attractant for fruit flies, if that's what these little pests are?
I've heard of apple cider vinegar. Well....I don't have any of that at
home, but I can guarantee you I do have alcoholic cider at home (love
it!). Obviously fruit flies like fruit, but what is the #1 best
attractant for them? I wanna seem them literally fighting each other
over whatever drowning bait I am going to use.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.gardens,alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.entomology.misc

shaz likd wrote:
[...]

Fruit flies on your monitor? May be false chinch bugs. Why not grab one
up and send it to a local expert. Also w/o your location, nobody can
tell what this may be. I mean, for all I know, you're in Arabia.
Posted to rec.gardens,alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.entomology.misc

shaz likd wrote in news:1188603984.486202.219310
@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

[...]

The best attractant for fruit flies is what brought them there in the first
place: rotten fruit somewhere. Check around the computer and associated
waste paper baskets.
Posted to rec.gardens,alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.entomology.misc

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:02:42 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

shaz likd wrote:
[...]

That's not a "program error", that's a booger!

--
Oren

Posted to rec.gardens,alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.entomology.misc

Put some vinegar or wine in custard cups or those little clear cups that you
get stuff like tartar sauce in at fast food places, and add 3 or 4 drops of
liquid dish soap. It works GREAT! The little buggers climb in and the soap
grabs 'em!

"shaz likd" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

shaz likd wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

you can buy sticky paper for catching them;IOW,"flypaper".

Or if you want to get fancy,a fluorescent-lighted bug zapper.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
shaz likd wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Get rid of whatever they are eating, and use a vacum cleaner to suck the
clouds of them out of the air, or wherever they gather. (They love sunny
windowsills.) Due to short reproductive cycles, it will take doing this
every day for 3-4 days. Make sure the vac has some dust in it to suffocate
them, or else they will just fly back out. A real common problem with
bannanas and warm weather, especially if the bannanas were not properly
sanitized in transit.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:46:24 -0700, shaz likd
wrote:

[...]

I'm guessing you have house plants. Put a 1/4" of sand in the pots.
One week, no more pests.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in message ...

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
shaz likd wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Some houseplants attract them as well.

Cheri

Posted to rec.gardens,alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.entomology.misc

I think they might by fruit flies - possibly. Anyway, what is the best
attractant for fruit flies, if that's what these little pests are?

I keep a 'slop bucket' in the kitchen for waste and it attracts fruit
flies if I don't empty it daily. I just put in a small piece of yellow
plastic vapor insecticide and cover loosely. The loose cover allows the
flies in and keeps enough of the vapors in to kill them.

Posted to rec.gardens,alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.entomology.misc

shaz likd wrote:
I've got these little insects / bugs / gnats.....whatever you want to
call them....buzzing around our kitchen and in the office room at home.

Are you certain they're not crotch flies? hehe

Fruit flies are typically brought into a home as eggs on produce. If
you toss your produce parings into a waste basket or uncoverd trash
can that's not disposed of often fruit flies will proliferate. On the
plus side once hatched fruit flies live only 24 hours, so if you make
an effort to have reasonably clean habits regarding produce then you
wouldn't have fruit flies. Produce should be washed as soon as it's
brought home and its original packaging disposed of outdoors. If you
have fruit flies around your office it's a sure bet you're eating
produce at your pc and leaving the waste about... even wiping your
dribbles and tossing the tissue in the wastebasket will make a cozy
environment for fruit flies. Also regularly wipe all surfaces where
produce has been set (syrups, preserves, and confections as well),
fruit flies are an excellent indicator of slovenly housekeeping
habits.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef621.asp

Posted to rec.gardens,alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.entomology.misc

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...
shaz likd wrote:
[...]

I have to disagree with your last statement.
Here in Michigan we still buy a lot of our produce fresh from farmers.
I'd like to think that my house is kept very clean, but we still get fruit
flies a few times each summer because the produce isn't being processed and
packaged for a supermarket. There is virtually no way to quarantine the
produce because if you put it in the garage or outside you will only attract
MORE fruit flies. We wash our produce and immediately throw away the bags
or cartons that it comes in, but invariably some of the little buggers (or
their eggs) will be inside sweet corn shucks or in bunches of grapes.
They are a nuisance, but it's not like they sting or anything. We just put
out a few custard cups full of vinegar with a little bit of dish soap in it,
and they are gone in a day or so. I honestly don't think that having fruit
flies occasionally should be lumped into the same category as having
roaches, mice, moths, etc., which ARE indicators of poor housekeeping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eliminate the flies' food source. Remove any fruit on counters,
windows sills, etc. Thoroughly clean out your refrigerator,
particularly produce.
Posted to rec.gardens,alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.entomology.misc

On Sep 2, 10:30?am, "Keith Stelter" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

oups.com...

shaz likd wrote:
[...]

Everyone has some *occasional* fruit flies... I didn't lump in with
anything, you're the one lumping in. If you're putting out fruit fly
traps, reading in things that aren't there, and taking personal
offence then perhaps your fruit flies are more problematic than
occasional. I suggest you read the info at the link I posted.

Posted to rec.gardens,alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.entomology.misc

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 2, 10:30?am, "Keith Stelter" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

oups.com...

shaz likd wrote:
[...]

I read it twice just to make sure that I didn't miss anything.
I don't know how you got "fruit flies are an excellent indicator of slovenly
housekeeping
habits."
from anything in that article, but to me that seems like a pretty strong,
general statement to make.
As for the additional, uninformed accusations that you make in your last
reply, I take no offense from them because I know that the level of
cleanliness in my house is high, and I'm not at all ashamed that I buy fresh
produce instead of month old, shrink-wrapped stuff from overseas at the
supermarket.

Posted to rec.gardens,alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair,sci.bio.entomology.misc

On Sep 2, 2:28?pm, "Keith Stelter" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Sep 2, 10:30?am, "Keith Stelter" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

groups.com...

shaz likd wrote:
[...]

Doesn't mean you're knowingly remiss (eveyone thinks their food
handling methods are stellar), means you're simply not realizing how
you're unknowingly doing and/or not doing things that promote fruit
fly proliferation... anyone who regulary puts out fruit fly bait has
more than the usual occasional fruit fly flare up. Adult fruit flies
only live 24 hours.... when someone is witnessing a steady occurance
it simply means they are doing something to breed them, albiet
unknowingly. Most folks don't know very much about proper food
handling safety, doesn't mean they're slobs so much as they're simply
ignorant. Of course they're also slobs, they just don't realize they
are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or if you want to get fancy,a fluorescent-lighted bug zapper.

Some food for thought that I heard somewhe

Those bug zappers, ain't they neat!

Blast the critters into tiny particles!

(That hang in the air.)

Really super for a picnic! NOT.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

Make a paper funnel (conical shape) and place it in a jar, leaving at least
half the space in the bottom. Put some cider vinegar in the bottom, abaout
1/2" is plenty. Flies will get in, but not be able to get out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 20:12:26 +0000, David Combs wrote:

Or if you want to get fancy,a fluorescent-lighted bug zapper.

Some food for thought that I heard somewhe

Those bug zappers, ain't they neat!

Blast the critters into tiny particles!

(That hang in the air.)

Really super for a picnic! NOT.

David

Did you know that USDA allows for up to 3 insects per pound of cereal?

Insects in cereal are measured by weight, not volume. Some
settling of insects may occur during handling.

PB

Fruit pickers? LurfysMa Home Repair 6 January 23rd 07 11:43 AM
Trapping flies - indoors? [email protected] Home Repair 10 December 28th 06 02:58 PM
fruit flies coming out of bathroom sink drain Bucky Home Ownership 7 April 24th 06 01:32 AM
Paint for fruit press MarkF UK diy 0 May 25th 05 05:51 PM