Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Possibly fruit flies indoors - luring & trapping them?

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
shaz likd wrote in
oups.com:

I've got these little insects / bugs / gnats.....whatever you want to
call them....buzzing around our kitchen and in the office room at home.
I initially thought they were small mosquitoes, but after having a
really close look at them, and getting to know them almost on a first-
name-basis, they are definitely not mosquitoes. (As an aside, I
definitely do get mosquitoes inside from time to time, and my hatred
for them drives me to the wall, but those airborne vampires are a
different matter). These little pests love my laptop screen too.
I think they might by fruit flies - possibly. Anyway, what is the best
attractant for fruit flies, if that's what these little pests are?
I've heard of apple cider vinegar. Well....I don't have any of that at
home, but I can guarantee you I do have alcoholic cider at home (love
it!). Obviously fruit flies like fruit, but what is the #1 best
attractant for them? I wanna seem them literally fighting each other
over whatever drowning bait I am going to use.
Thanks.

you can buy sticky paper for catching them;IOW,"flypaper".

Or if you want to get fancy,a fluorescent-lighted bug zapper.

Get rid of whatever they are eating, and use a vacum cleaner to suck the
clouds of them out of the air, or wherever they gather. (They love sunny
windowsills.) Due to short reproductive cycles, it will take doing this
every day for 3-4 days. Make sure the vac has some dust in it to suffocate
them, or else they will just fly back out. A real common problem with
bannanas and warm weather, especially if the bannanas were not properly
sanitized in transit.

aem sends...