Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to sharpen old Kitchen Devil Professional knives?

How to sharpen old Kitchen Devil Professional knives?

These are old - perhaps about thirty years - can't remember precisely.

On one of them I can still read what it says on the blade:

C 0.50
Cr 14
Mo 0.25

Is that surgical steel?
(I think I remember the adverts saying that.)

I'm no good with a steel.
What about the MinoSharp Plus 3 Water Sharpener?
Or what would you recommend?
--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:02:29 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

How to sharpen old Kitchen Devil Professional knives?

These are old - perhaps about thirty years - can't remember precisely.

On one of them I can still read what it says on the blade:

C 0.50
Cr 14
Mo 0.25

Is that surgical steel?
(I think I remember the adverts saying that.)

I'm no good with a steel.
What about the MinoSharp Plus 3 Water Sharpener?
Or what would you recommend?

I just use a simple medium-fine grit handheld stone.
Seems to tackle everything from my nice Emils to the handy Richardson
Fusion blades - and does a lovely job on my Opinel pocket knives.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:45:12 +0000
Stephen Howard wrote:
and does a lovely job on my Opinel pocket knives.

which, of course, you are no longer allowed to keep in your pockets.
On pain of being sent to prison if you have not got 'an excuse'.

Governments. Stupidity incarnate.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Howard wrote:
and does a lovely job on my Opinel pocket knives.

which, of course, you are no longer allowed to keep in your pockets.
On pain of being sent to prison if you have not got 'an excuse'.

Rubbish.
I had to get a receipt for my pocket knife when I went into the courts in
Brum two weeks ago but I just collected it on the way out.
I had to hand over my camera too BTW.

Governments. Stupidity incarnate.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Howard wrote:
and does a lovely job on my Opinel pocket knives.

which, of course, you are no longer allowed to keep in your pockets.
On pain of being sent to prison if you have not got 'an excuse'.

Rubbish.
I had to get a receipt for my pocket knife when I went into the courts in
Brum two weeks ago but I just collected it on the way out.
I had to hand over my camera too BTW.

Governments. Stupidity incarnate.

Interesting, probably not an Opinel though - they are lock knives as
defined the new laws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Howard wrote:
and does a lovely job on my Opinel pocket knives.

which, of course, you are no longer allowed to keep in your pockets.
On pain of being sent to prison if you have not got 'an excuse'.

Rubbish.
I had to get a receipt for my pocket knife when I went into the courts in
Brum two weeks ago but I just collected it on the way out.
I had to hand over my camera too BTW.

Governments. Stupidity incarnate.

Interesting, probably not an Opinel though - they are lock knives as
defined the new laws.

Personally I wouldn't use any type of penknife other than a lock
knife.

I'd imagine I qualify as being allowed to carry one on the basis that
it's a tool of my trade...and I could be called upon at any time to
make an adjustment to a reed.
In any event, I'm a member of the sect of the Ancient Order of Pork
Pie Fanciers, and it is our firmly held conviction that we must be
ready at all times for the coming of the Great Melton Mowbray - which
we must honour and worship by cutting yea a fifth from its body and
consuming with relish ( or Branston pickle, whichever is closest to
hand ).

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Stephen Howard wrote:
[...]

You 'aven't got an 'ope in 'ell of getting away with that if you got
taken to court!

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:56:20 +0000, Rod
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:

snip

Personally I wouldn't use any type of penknife other than a lock
knife.

I'd imagine I qualify as being allowed to carry one on the basis that
it's a tool of my trade...and I could be called upon at any time to
make an adjustment to a reed.
In any event, I'm a member of the sect of the Ancient Order of Pork
Pie Fanciers, and it is our firmly held conviction that we must be
ready at all times for the coming of the Great Melton Mowbray - which
we must honour and worship by cutting yea a fifth from its body and
consuming with relish ( or Branston pickle, whichever is closest to
hand ).

You 'aven't got an 'ope in 'ell of getting away with that if you got
taken to court!

Agh!

Seriously though ( folks ), as a professional woodwind technician and
player a penknife is very much a tool of the trade, particularly as a
player ( it's used to shave reeds ).
I expect I'd have a hard time justifying it if I wasn't carrying an
instrument at the time, but then I've always got a sax in my car ( in
case of impromptu gigs ).

I suppose I could always carry a pork pie around with me....

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Nov, 19:40, "dennis@home" wrote:

I had to get a receipt for my pocket knife when I went into the courts in
Brum two weeks ago but I just collected it on the way out.

So you got off then?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Nov, 21:25, TheOldFellow wrote:

Interesting, probably not an Opinel though - they are lock knives as
defined the new laws.

Really? Which law, and where is the "button" by which they are
locked, as the law defines things?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 05:42:28 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 16 Nov, 21:25, TheOldFellow wrote:

Interesting, probably not an Opinel though - they are lock knives as
defined the new laws.

Really? Which law, and where is the "button" by which they are
locked, as the law defines things?

A quick search on 'knife law' yields this nugget:

3 For a knife to be a folding pocket-knife within the meaning of this
section, it must be readily and immediately foldable at all times,
simply by the folding process. A lock-knife, which required a further
process, namely activating a trigger mechanism to fold the blade back
into the handle, was held not to be a folding pocket-knife (Harris v
DPP [1993] 1 All ER 562); followed in R v Deegan [1998] Crim LR
562,[1998] 2 Cr App Rep 121. The section applies to articles which
have a blade or are sharply pointed, falling into the same broad
category as a knife or sharply pointed instrument;

Regards,

Red Devil Samantha Booth UK diy 11 July 23rd 08 02:10 PM
Kitchen Knives Wives Tale? [email protected] Woodworking 51 December 26th 06 02:43 PM
Questions on professional style kitchen appliances # Fred # Home Repair 10 December 23rd 06 06:03 PM
professional kitchen worktop fitting rookie UK diy 31 April 19th 06 07:56 PM
Kitchen knives that never need sharpening? Chris UK diy 20 February 1st 05 10:27 PM