Posted to alt.home.repair
Angel Rodriguez Angel Rodriguez is offline

Default How do you sharpen kitchen fruit peelers?

On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 07:00:12 -0700, Harry K wrote:

1. If they are concerned about the cost of a peeler,
anyone who pays $20 for a simple peeler is nuts

Let's be clear that the whole point is simply to maintain
our tools, period. So, for the same reason we sharpen a
knife, we'd want to sharpen a kitchen peeler.

The fact the sharp peeler on the right costs $20 while
the dull peeler on the left costs $5 isn't the point.
http://i59.tinypic.com/29pcj02.jpg

The point is HOW to sharpen the peeler.

2. The chainsaw chain needs to be sharpened often.
10 minutes and a realatively cheap file saves bunches
of money over the life of he chain. A peeler? Maybe
once in a lifetime and then it is easier and faster to
buy a new one.

I get your argument, but mine is that it must be even
easier to sharpen a single-angle kitchen peeler than it
is to sharpen 75 or so angled blades on a chain, so, I
would have thought everyone does it (just as everyone
sharpens their own knives).

The fact that I didn't know how seems to be universal, as
neither does anyone else (since they don't bother).

OK. I got the point. I will try on my own then.

Since I bought the $20 peeler to replace the dull $5 peeler,
I can afford to make mistakes while learning how to
sharpen it on my own.