Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chinese knockoffs.

Has this become very common lately? I know that dollar stores have always
sold Chinese crap and I have avoided that. But recently I ordered an extra
wall plug in for our Iphone 5's and it wasn't an Apple product. Ordered
from Ebay. Never again. The thing was a joke! The prongs on it looked
weird and wouldn't even go into the outlet.

Just now I needed to order a new GE stove burner. Seems that the same thing
is happening over at Amazon. I had seen on the news that there have been
complaints of knockoffs. Well, it seems that they are doing it with stove
burners. Show a picture of the genuine GE thing but that's not what people
are getting. At least that's what the reviews say.

I once had a burner go bad in an old apartment. Not sure how old the stove
was. Probably pretty old. I had walked into the other room when all of a
sudden I heard what sounded like one of those whistling fireworks.
Whistling Pete/Piccolo Pete. I looked towards the noise, saw blue sparks
hitting the ceiling, then heard a "bang". All went silent. No more sparks,
but I then hear water. It was water leaking out of my pan that I was
boiling pasta in. Somehow the very tip (outside of coil) became super
heated and literally blew right off, shooting sparks and shooting a hole in
my pan! Landlord fixed the stove for me.

But after witnessing that, there is no way I am taking a chance on a Chinese
knockoff. I ordered straight from GE where I know I am getting the right
thing.

Now that I think of it, it's not just electrical things. I ordered what I
thought were Tom's shoes from their outlet. What I got was a joke. Tiny
shoes that maybe appeared from a distance to be that brand but were very
poorly made.

This is frustrating, especially if I need something that I can't find in a
store and have to get online. Anyone else been burned by bogus parts? Or
other things?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/18/2014 07:36 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
Has this become very common lately? I know that dollar stores have
always sold Chinese crap and I have avoided that. But recently I
ordered an extra wall plug in for our Iphone 5's and it wasn't an Apple
product. Ordered from Ebay. Never again. The thing was a joke! The
prongs on it looked weird and wouldn't even go into the outlet.

snip for some things a Chinese knock off may be OK but I would
defiantly not cheap out for those 115v to USB adapters for iPhones.
I've heard of people getting electrocuted.

Also, the cord itself for the iPhone is a piece of crap...yes the
genuine Apple product. Even though they will supposedly exchange it
free...they only last a few months.

I got a Belkin cord for my wife and after four months there is no sign
of wear. For all I know it's made in China too...but where ever it's
made Belkin is a good product.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

Hi,
What you mean? Apple is made in China too, LOL! Expect some quality
stuff from Amazon or Dollar store? There are things you buy from there
and things you go to specialty store. Chinese knock off has difference
is quality too. Again you get what you pay for. An example, I have a
high end home theater gear; AV receiver, speakers, all made in China.
Their quality is very high justifying the high price. For an example
look at the price for an Anthem AV receiver or Paradigm speakers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:36:43 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
Has this become very common lately? I know that dollar stores have always

sold Chinese crap and I have avoided that. But recently I ordered an extra

wall plug in for our Iphone 5's and it wasn't an Apple product. Ordered

from Ebay. Never again. The thing was a joke! The prongs on it looked

weird and wouldn't even go into the outlet.

That's not unusual at all. I know someone that bought a car charger kit for
an iPhone on Ebay and it's impossible to get any kind of reliable contact in
the car socket. You have to carefully look at what it is, and still it
can be a crap shoot.

Just now I needed to order a new GE stove burner. Seems that the same thing

is happening over at Amazon. I had seen on the news that there have been

complaints of knockoffs. Well, it seems that they are doing it with stove

burners. Show a picture of the genuine GE thing but that's not what people

are getting. At least that's what the reviews say.

That is the good thing about Amazon, you have reviews of the actual
product. It's a much needed feature on Ebay. On Ebay, you can only
see the overall rating of the seller, not comments, reviews of the actual
product. I guess you could try to search through all the sellers reviews
to try to find ones for the same product, but it's not easy or effective
and any comments are just a few words at best.

As for knockoffs of appliance parts, not sure what exactly that means.
There have been aftermarket parts from a variety of suppliers for most
appliances for forever. Unless the manufacturer is explicitly stated,
I would assume it could be anyone and probably Chinese.

I once had a burner go bad in an old apartment. Not sure how old the stove

was. Probably pretty old. I had walked into the other room when all of a

sudden I heard what sounded like one of those whistling fireworks.

Whistling Pete/Piccolo Pete. I looked towards the noise, saw blue sparks

hitting the ceiling, then heard a "bang". All went silent. No more sparks,

but I then hear water. It was water leaking out of my pan that I was

boiling pasta in. Somehow the very tip (outside of coil) became super

heated and literally blew right off, shooting sparks and shooting a hole in

my pan! Landlord fixed the stove for me.

But after witnessing that, there is no way I am taking a chance on a Chinese

knockoff. I ordered straight from GE where I know I am getting the right

thing.

And GE got it from China.

Now that I think of it, it's not just electrical things. I ordered what I

thought were Tom's shoes from their outlet. What I got was a joke. Tiny

shoes that maybe appeared from a distance to be that brand but were very

poorly made.

If someone is representing some particular brand and selling something
else, then you have a legitimate complaint and it could also be a crime.
You can't sell a bag saying it's Gucci and then ship a counterfit.

This is frustrating, especially if I need something that I can't find in a

store and have to get online. Anyone else been burned by bogus parts? Or

other things?

Only once that I recall. That's when I ordered what was supposed to be
a refillable pod compatible with my Nespresso machine. It was like your
iPhone experience, totally unusable. I should have asked for my money
back, but it was only like $5 or so, and I just forgot about it. That was
on Ebay and again, if they had the ability to leave a review for the
product, I would have done so. And I most likely would not have bought
it, because with product reviews you'd see it was crap.

I did buy some cheap replacement cordless phone batteries about a year
ago on Ebay. They worked fine, for a year, now they are starting to
show problems. IDK how you rack that up. They were cheap....

Overall though, I'm very happy with Ebay. I've saved a ton of money
on there, the screw ups/losses have been few.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:

Just now I needed to order a new GE stove burner. Seems that the same
thing is happening over at Amazon. I had seen on the news that there have
been complaints of knockoffs. Well, it seems that they are doing it with
stove burners. Show a picture of the genuine GE thing but that's not what
people are getting. At least that's what the reviews say.

In some cases, a part manufactured in China is all you're going to find so
it's a toss up between 'genuine GE made in China' and 'GE knockoff made in
China'.

Amazon seems good at dealing with the problem. I ordered 3 Photon
microlights; 2 were Photon's and the third was a cuckoo. It worked but had
an obscure Chinese battery and the light color was a little different. I
emailed Amazon customer service, told them it was defective but it wasn't as
advertised. They refunded the price and I noticed the third party
distributor was no longer listed. I don't know how the 'sold by X fulfilled
by Amazon' or 'sold and shipped by X' relationships work but Amazon does
seem to prune the knockoff shops.

I very seldom look on eBay but other than the seller rating I think it's
more of a crapshoot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Has this become very common lately? I know that dollar stores have always
sold Chinese crap and I have avoided that. But recently I ordered an
extra wall plug in for our Iphone 5's and it wasn't an Apple product.
Ordered from Ebay. Never again. The thing was a joke! The prongs on it
looked

Aren't the I phones made in China ? I know some Apple products are.

It is just like most everywhere else, there are some good China items and
some junk items.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader...

Overall though, I'm very happy with Ebay. I've saved a ton of money
on there, the screw ups/losses have been few.

Hi,
I use eBay quite a bit. Looking for things I need, selling things I
don't need. Racked up 700+ 100% feedback so far. Latest thing I got is
third antenna with coax for Mini WiFi card, USB easy data transfer
cable. All from Taiwan(Their stuffs are better than ones from main land
China) Each of them cost less than 10.00 with free shipping. Last month
I bought and sold Gammatech Durabook. Fixed little problem, made profit
of couple hundred $$$ LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/18/2014 08:56 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
philo wrote:
On 06/18/2014 07:36 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

Hi,
What you mean? Apple is made in China too, LOL! Expect some quality
stuff from Amazon or Dollar store? There are things you buy from there
and things you go to specialty store. Chinese knock off has difference
is quality too. Again you get what you pay for. An example, I have a
high end home theater gear; AV receiver, speakers, all made in China.
Their quality is very high justifying the high price. For an example
look at the price for an Anthem AV receiver or Paradigm speakers.

What I was trying to say is "made in China" is neither good or bad.

There is good quality and bad quality
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:
Has this become very common lately? I know that dollar stores have
always sold Chinese crap and I have avoided that. But recently I
ordered an extra wall plug in for our Iphone 5's and it wasn't an Apple
product. Ordered from Ebay. Never again. The thing was a joke! The
prongs on it looked weird and wouldn't even go into the outlet.
snipped

Last Sunday (Father's Day) all the greeting cards I received were
Hallmark's, but the last line of the fine print on the back of each one
said it was manufactured in China.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 6/18/2014 11:30 AM, philo wrote:

Some of the "bad" stuff is exactly to the specifications of a cheap US
company that wants to make a lot of money selling junk from any source
that is cheap.

Just like that POS John Deere riding mower I bought at the dealer and not at
Lowes.. That model has a history of the transaxel going out after 300 or so
hours. Mine did. That is the last thing I will buy from them.

Just junk made to the lowest standrd and price.

Many years ago Japan had a bad reputation for junk, but now many of the
beter quality items can be bought from them, cars and electronics
especially.

China has some good items also. YOu just have to pay for them. I have
bought a few things from China off ebay and don't even see how they can ship
it here for what they sell it for including shipping. The quality of the
items was fine for the price I payed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/18/2014 11:02 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

China has some good items also. YOu just have to pay for them. I have
bought a few things from China off ebay and don't even see how they can ship
it here for what they sell it for including shipping. The quality of the
items was fine for the price I payed.

Yep, I had mentioned that I bought 20 CMOS batteries directly from China

the total was $3.58 including postage

The local drugstore had them for $7 each !
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 05:36:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

Anyone else been burned by bogus parts? Or
other things?

I replaced an ice maker some months ago. Did all the research,
getting the exact part number for replacement. Double checked
everything. looked all over for the best price, etc.

I bought the IM from Amazon. An "exact" part number for the frig. I
had read a review that stated the off/on switch was a different
orientation (vertical v horizontal). The shelf over the IM works, but
the it covers the switch. I could have modified the shelf a tad. My
bride said it was fine the way it was. Since it covers the switch
there is no way to accidentally turn off the IM. I'd have to slide the
shelf out a bit to do that. I got ice
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

What makes you think the part you ordered from GE won't turn out to have
been made in China?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

But after witnessing that, there is no way I am taking a chance on a Chinese
knockoff. I ordered straight from GE where I know I am getting the right
thing.

Beware of any appliances or parts these days. Most if not all are made overseas.

My Frigidaire (Model 40064747757 Nov 2007) developed strain cracks around the burners in the stove top where indentations had been pressed out. Typically this is caused by either poor quality steel or drawing lubricant during the stamping process. It's a mfg defect - not caused by use. Fridigidaire would not replace it - only would sell me a new stove top over $300.

Here's a photo showing the cracks. Cracks go all the way through the metal:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...in/DEFECTS.gif

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message ...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Has this become very common lately? I know that dollar stores have always
sold Chinese crap and I have avoided that. But recently I ordered an
extra wall plug in for our Iphone 5's and it wasn't an Apple product.
Ordered from Ebay. Never again. The thing was a joke! The prongs on it
looked

Aren't the I phones made in China ? I know some Apple products are.

It is just like most everywhere else, there are some good China items and
some junk items.

Ask someone who lost their job because of their factory being relocated to China if there are any good China items. I hear they are having pollution problems now in China. Boo hoo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:41:49 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

Beware of any appliances or parts these days. Most if not all are made overseas.

My Frigidaire (Model 40064747757 Nov 2007) developed strain cracks around the burners in the stove top where indentations had been pressed out. Typically this is caused by either poor quality steel or drawing lubricant during the stamping process. It's a mfg defect - not caused by use. Fridigidaire would not replace it - only would sell me a new stove top over $300.

Here's a photo showing the cracks. Cracks go all the way through the metal:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...in/DEFECTS.gif

Those look like chips off the porcelain coating. It can happen.

My take is Fridigidaire would not replace it because it admits fault,
a defect. If you did buy a new unit - it gives away a any right you
may have legally?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/18/2014 09:27 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
trader...

Overall though, I'm very happy with Ebay. I've saved a ton of money
on there, the screw ups/losses have been few.

Hi,
I use eBay quite a bit. Looking for things I need, selling things I
don't need. Racked up 700+ 100% feedback so far. Latest thing I got is
third antenna with coax for Mini WiFi card, USB easy data transfer
cable. All from Taiwan(Their stuffs are better than ones from main land
China) Each of them cost less than 10.00 with free shipping. Last month
I bought and sold Gammatech Durabook. Fixed little problem, made profit
of couple hundred $$$ LOL!

I do considerably more buying than selling.
Pretty much everything I buy is small stuff that I could get locally but
would have to spend more money and waste a lot of time tracking down.

I've only sold things that I knew would have minimal local interest.

One was a 1959 TR-3 that I had for 30 years and finally figured it was
time to let someone else sink money into it. The engine was in good
shape but the car needed a ton of work.

The most recent sale was my Canon D50 Camera.
I have several good cameras and had not used that one in over a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not@home wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Prolly is but on different specs.(better quality)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Guv Bob wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

But after witnessing that, there is no way I am taking a chance on a Chinese
knockoff. I ordered straight from GE where I know I am getting the right
thing.

Beware of any appliances or parts these days. Most if not all are made overseas.

My Frigidaire (Model 40064747757 Nov 2007) developed strain cracks around the burners in the stove top where indentations had been pressed out. Typically this is caused by either poor quality steel or drawing lubricant during the stamping process. It's a mfg defect - not caused by use. Fridigidaire would not replace it - only would sell me a new stove top over $300.

Here's a photo showing the cracks. Cracks go all the way through the metal:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...in/DEFECTS.gif

Hi,
Frigidaire is not top tier product to begin with.
I never owned one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 07:56:49 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

philo wrote:
[...]

You only get what you pay for - if you are lucky. You seldom get
more than you pay for - excluding trouble.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:02:10 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...
[...]

In the case of the JD tractor there was a reason the model you bought
was (just a guess) about 20% cheaper than their deluxe model of the
same horsepower and cutting width.
"If you want first quality oats, you need to be willing to pay first
quality price. If, however, you are willing to settle for oats that
have already been through the horse, they DO come a little cheaper"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Many years ago Japan had a bad reputation for junk, but now many of the
beter quality items can be bought from them, cars and electronics
especially.

If you go back to the 1800's when the German states were playing catchup
with the industrial revolution, they were know for the cheap junk the
produced. The Germans learned, the Japanese learned, the Koreans learned,
and now the Chinese are learning fast. About the only people who didn't
learn are the US politicians that watched all the manufacturing head towards
the setting sun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 16:10:36 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Guv Bob wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

[...]

Used to be, 50 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Beware of any appliances or parts these days. Most if not all are made overseas.

My Frigidaire (Model 40064747757 Nov 2007) developed strain cracks around the burners in the stove top where indentations had been pressed out. Typically this is caused by either poor quality steel or drawing lubricant during the stamping process. It's a mfg defect - not caused by use. Fridigidaire would not replace it - only would sell me a new stove top over $300.

Here's a photo showing the cracks. Cracks go all the way through the metal:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...in/DEFECTS.gif

Those look like chips off the porcelain coating. It can happen.

Nope....
Here's a photo showing the cracks. Cracks go all the way through the metal

My take is Fridigidaire would not replace it because it admits fault,
a defect. If you did buy a new unit - it gives away a any right you
may have legally?

Doesn't matter to me what they were thinking. I offered to send this one back, pay shipping on a new one plus a reasonable cost, but they would even discuss it. Whatever.... So they lost a customer, plus bad press from me.

I even mentioned the other problems, just as helpful feedback for their own info. Two of the 5 burners started to fail within 2 years -- I was able to adjust them, but I never heard of this happening in all my years of using various other gas ranges. Also, if we turn any gas valve on too slowly, it fills up the stove top with gas and then ignites. Supposed to start the sparking before the gas comes out. They have the wrong people working phone tech support.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...
Guv Bob wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

[...]

Then this one definitely lives up to this reputation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
,
Frigidaire is not top tier product to begin with.
I never owned one.

From about 1955 ot 1965 my dad worked on them for a store and they were good
quality then,but at some point they went down hill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
In the case of the JD tractor there was a reason the model you bought

was (just a guess) about 20% cheaper than their deluxe model of the
same horsepower and cutting width.
"If you want first quality oats, you need to be willing to pay first
quality price. If, however, you are willing to settle for oats that
have already been through the horse, they DO come a little cheaper"

I should have researched them more. I was buying from what I thought was a
good brand name and did not think they would hirt their reputation with a
POS, but I was wrong about them.

I even went to the dealer in town instead of the big box store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message
[...]

Agree on the cords. I generally won't buy anything made in China. Okay I
suppose for decorative things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 06/18/2014 07:36 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

Hi,
What you mean? Apple is made in China too, LOL! Expect some quality
stuff from Amazon or Dollar store? There are things you buy from there
and things you go to specialty store. Chinese knock off has difference
is quality too. Again you get what you pay for. An example, I have a
high end home theater gear; AV receiver, speakers, all made in China.
Their quality is very high justifying the high price. For an example
look at the price for an Anthem AV receiver or Paradigm speakers.

What I was trying to say is "made in China" is neither good or bad.

There is good quality and bad quality

IMO it is bad if it is a knockoff. They shouldn't advertise something as
genuine Apple or genuine GE if it isn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

Amazon advertised the burners as being genuine GE and the picture they
showed looked just like what is on my stove. But all of the customers said
what they received was not GE at all. Some were happy with it but most were
not as it wouldn't sit flat.

[...]

That could be but... At least I know it is their brand.

Now that I think of it, it's not just electrical things. I ordered what

thought were Tom's shoes from their outlet. What I got was a joke. Tiny

shoes that maybe appeared from a distance to be that brand but were very

poorly made.

If someone is representing some particular brand and selling something
else, then you have a legitimate complaint and it could also be a crime.
You can't sell a bag saying it's Gucci and then ship a counterfit.

Agree but in the case of Toms shoes there are many websites doing it. They
advertise as Toms Outlet. I realized that something was wrong when I didn't
get the shoes right away. Then I knew something was bad when they came from
China and took about 1.5 months to get here. Thing is they did fairly well
in copying them. Same boxes but didn't come with the cloth bags. Daughter
noticed that something was off with the stitching but then also noticed that
what we got appeared to be children's sizes. They somehow got the same
exact fabric inside and out but the quality was just not there.

Toms now has on their website that they are the only place you should buy
from on the Internet. They know there are a lot of fakes just as there are
with Uggs.

This is frustrating, especially if I need something that I can't find in

store and have to get online. Anyone else been burned by bogus parts?
Or

other things?

Only once that I recall. That's when I ordered what was supposed to be
a refillable pod compatible with my Nespresso machine. It was like your
iPhone experience, totally unusable. I should have asked for my money
back, but it was only like $5 or so, and I just forgot about it. That was
on Ebay and again, if they had the ability to leave a review for the
product, I would have done so. And I most likely would not have bought
it, because with product reviews you'd see it was crap.

I got my charger a while ago. It was just sitting in my van and now my car.
The cord that plugs into the phone does seem to work and daughter was able
to use the end of my mom's Ipad charger to charge her phone.

I did buy some cheap replacement cordless phone batteries about a year
ago on Ebay. They worked fine, for a year, now they are starting to
show problems. IDK how you rack that up. They were cheap....

I won't buy cheap batteries.

Overall though, I'm very happy with Ebay. I've saved a ton of money
on there, the screw ups/losses have been few.

I used to buy a lot from Ebay. Now I seem to order more from Amazon. I
have the prime now so I can get the stuff really fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Has this become very common lately? I know that dollar stores have
always sold Chinese crap and I have avoided that. But recently I ordered
an extra wall plug in for our Iphone 5's and it wasn't an Apple product.
Ordered from Ebay. Never again. The thing was a joke! The prongs on it
looked

Aren't the I phones made in China ? I know some Apple products are.

It is just like most everywhere else, there are some good China items and
some junk items.

They might be but if I am buying something that says it is Apple, then it
had darned well better BE Apple!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

Julie Bove wrote:
Has this become very common lately? I know that dollar stores have
always sold Chinese crap and I have avoided that. But recently I
ordered an extra wall plug in for our Iphone 5's and it wasn't an Apple
product. Ordered from Ebay. Never again. The thing was a joke! The
prongs on it looked weird and wouldn't even go into the outlet.
snipped

Last Sunday (Father's Day) all the greeting cards I received were
Hallmark's, but the last line of the fine print on the back of each one
said it was manufactured in China.

Jeff

My husband once wanted to buy a watch for his mom. He told the clerk that
he wanted one made in the USA. She just sort of blinked at him. Said there
were none.

I don't really even care where things are made. I know that the USA doesn't
produce much any more and if it is produced here, it's likely to be very
expensive.

I just don't want people selling things and claiming them to be something
that they're not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Not@home" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I may well have been. But my point is... If I order straight from GE, I
presume they will send me a GE part. It is wrong for a seller on Amazon to
say that they are selling genuine GE parts when they are in fact some sort
of generic thing that may not work with your stove.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Not@home wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Yes. You said it better than I did. I tend to be wordy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
m...
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

But after witnessing that, there is no way I am taking a chance on a
Chinese
knockoff. I ordered straight from GE where I know I am getting the right
thing.

Beware of any appliances or parts these days. Most if not all are made
overseas.

My Frigidaire (Model 40064747757 Nov 2007) developed strain cracks around
the burners in the stove top where indentations had been pressed out.
Typically this is caused by either poor quality steel or drawing lubricant
during the stamping process. It's a mfg defect - not caused by use.
Fridigidaire would not replace it - only would sell me a new stove top over
$300.

Here's a photo showing the cracks. Cracks go all the way through the metal:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...in/DEFECTS.gif

That's sad. My GE side by side fridge/freezer got a crack in the plastic at
the bottom not long after I got it. I did accidentally drop something on
it. It was a glass bottle but I can't remember exactly what it was. You'd
think they would have built it better. And I don't think it's the sort of
part I can replace.

One of my little fridges lost a part in the door after a few years. It's
just a little rubber or maybe it is silicone plug to hold the bar in place
for soda cans.I tried to replace the part but no success. I finally just
duct taped the hell out of it. Looks like crap but it works. Previously I
had stuffed a little duct tape in the hole but it just wasn't enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

---

Good grief! Very sorry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Guv Bob wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

[...]

I think the old ones were good. Now that I think of it, I think my one
little fridge might be that brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/2014 9:25 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Has this become very common lately? I know that dollar stores have always
sold Chinese crap and I have avoided that. But recently I ordered an
extra wall plug in for our Iphone 5's and it wasn't an Apple product.
Ordered from Ebay. Never again. The thing was a joke! The prongs on it
looked

Aren't the I phones made in China ? I know some Apple products are.

It is just like most everywhere else, there are some good China items and
some junk items.

The major issue is cheap counterfeits marketed as the genuine article.
If they're not marketed as genuine/OEM parts, then it is strictly
buyer beware. There are wide variances in quality of manufacture and
you have no way of knowing if it is a quality product before
purchasing it. An awful lot of third party electrical/electronic goods
manufactured in China are either not UL certified or have counterfeit
UL certifications.

When a foreign company to contract with a Chinese manufacturer to
produce their product, it's fairly common for the manufacturer to not
only manufacture the genuine product, but to then make and sell
knockoff versions of the product, usually produced with inferior
materials or modified designs. Worst case scenario is when the Chinese
manufacturer sees the market opportunity for a new product from a
small overseas company and steals the design and market share by
making and marketing their own versions of the product while
deliberately stalling the production of the official product for that
company that came up with it in the first place. That happened to a
small local company in my area.

Intellectual property theft is huge in China. It's one of the prices
companies pay for having their goods produced there. Basically, for
every legitimate unit produced, they can expect to have a number of
illegitimate units produced, sold out the back door, and competing
with their own products.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

If you have a link to this Amazon listing, I'm sure we'd all be
interested in seeing it. From what you've said, I believe what
you're saying is:

1 - You didn't actually buy a burner there, just read reviews.

2 - The listing shows a picture of a GE burner, but the one they
ship is not GE.

It would be interesting to see the whole thing, in context. If
they are doing what is claimed, then people should be complaining
to Amazon, asking for their money back, etc. And if they don't
correct it, Amazon should shut them down.

As for the USA not making much of anything, that's not true. We are
the second largest manufacturer in the world, with China only recently
having past us. Just because we don't make cheap consumer products,
doesn't mean we aren't building computers, microprocessors, airplanes,
power plants, etc.