Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My wife got richer...

- To: 'Recipients'
Subject: Cash Donation of $500,000.00 USD To You(Reply)

- Subject: WINNER!

Your email won you 1,000,000.00 Pounds(One Million Pounds Sterling) In
the Microsoft Award E-mail Lottery. Contact Fast Way Couriers for
claims, Name: Mr. Murray Duncan e-mail: Your Name:
Your Age: Your country: Your Mobile:

I can't put that much money under my mattress, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/15/14, 3:36 PM, Oren wrote:

- To: 'Recipients'

Your email won you 1,000,000.00 Pounds(One Million Pounds Sterling) In
the Microsoft Award E-mail Lottery. Contact Fast Way Couriers for
claims, Name: Mr. Murray Duncan e-mail: Your Name:
Your Age: Your country: Your Mobile:

I can't put that much money under my mattress, right?

Consider a couple, three, or so #2 mayonnaise jars on Funk and
Wagnall's porch.
Senior Member

Oren:

I'm presuming you're just being facetious because you got an e-mail telling you that you've won a million dollars. All you have to do is e-mail some guy in the Netherlands to confirm it's a valid e-mail address, and then you start getting a hundred spam messages a day in your inbox.

But, I'm having trouble understanding what this cwn1.nl.rogers.com's motivation would be in receiving all these e-mails from people all over the world (or I expect that's the extent of it). The only thing that makes sense to me is that he's a spammer trying to build an e-mail database to spam.

Or, do you see any other motivation here?

This thread is soon to sink into the quick sand below. Can you confirm that you did or didn't win any money before it goes under?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 05:12:16 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Oren:

I'm presuming you're just being facetious because you got an e-mail
telling you that you've won a million dollars. All you have to do is
e-mail some guy in the Netherlands to confirm it's a valid e-mail
address, and then you start getting a hundred spam messages a day in
your inbox.

But, I'm having trouble understanding what this cwn1.nl.rogers.com's
motivation would be in receiving all these e-mails from people all over
the world (or I expect that's the extent of it). The only thing that
makes sense to me is that he's a spammer trying to build an e-mail
database to spam.

Or, do you see any other motivation here?

Later he'll want money.

Once people make up their mind to buy something, or in this case to get
something, they'll still want it even in the face or problems. So if
they have to plunk down 2000 dollars to get their half milion pounds,
it's clearly worth it.

This thread is soon to sink into the quick sand below. Can you confirm
that you did or didn't win any money before it goes under?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/15/2014 10:12 PM, nestork wrote:
Oren:

I'm presuming you're just being facetious because you got an e-mail
telling you that you've won a million dollars. All you have to do is
e-mail some guy in the Netherlands to confirm it's a valid e-mail
address, and then you start getting a hundred spam messages a day in
your inbox.

But, I'm having trouble understanding what this cwn1.nl.rogers.com's
motivation would be in receiving all these e-mails from people all over
the world (or I expect that's the extent of it). The only thing that
makes sense to me is that he's a spammer trying to build an e-mail
database to spam.

Or, do you see any other motivation here?

You aren't familiar with how these scams work? The sucker replies back
to claim his/her prize, at which point the scammer tells them there's
a processing or handling fee involved, and asks for a credit card or
bank account number. Sucker obliges - and the scammer has what he
wanted. Bonus for scammer: confirmed valid email of a confirmed sucker
- which is worth a little bit of money to other scammers, who are also
looking for the suckers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/16/2014 10:12 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
[...]

What's the big deal about giving someone your bank account number? Heck,
it is on every check that you write so it is not a big secret.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 11:04:39 -0500, IGot2P wrote:

What's the big deal about giving someone your bank account number? Heck,
it is on every check that you write so it is not a big secret.

The check has the routing number. Spammers are asking for account
numbers. Name, SS#, address, etc. Hoping to set the hook on a victim.

Your point is valid. My bride went in person to pay property taxes
one year, paid by check - all is not so well, when she asked me about
spending $300 at HD & Walmart respectively ($600 even not $592).

Short story as _best_ as I can figure, the routing and account number
was used in a software printed check.

Bottom line - our bank fraud dept. fixed everything. HD and Wally ate
the money - not us or the bank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

just wait and see how bad it gets now with these kids and
their smartphones.
I asked my daughters yesterday if they banked with their
phones, both said yes, then thought I was crazy for telling
them they are sitting ducks.
I don't think most of them even look at the permissions they
allow when installing apps. They just say "Oh look, this
looks like a cool app"

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe DeLoughan View Post
You aren't familiar with how these scams work? The sucker replies back
to claim his/her prize, at which point the scammer tells them there's
a processing or handling fee involved, and asks for a credit card or
bank account number.
Stop right there ! ! !

At that point, 99.9 percent of confirmed suckers would realize they're being duped. As long as they have to pay ANYTHING to get the money they're supposedly legally entitled to, they'll stop responding to this guy.

But, maybe it's that remaining 0.1 percent that make the scam worthwhile.

Quote:
Sucker obliges - and the scammer has what he wanted. Bonus for scammer: confirmed valid email of a confirmed sucker - which is worth a little bit of money to other scammers, who are also looking for the suckers.
STOP again. At that point, 99.9 percent of the confirmed suckers from Phase 1 of the scam are going to avoid contact with anyone promising a lot of money in return for a little bit.

I think it would be easier to make my money collecting returnable glass bottles and aluminum cans... or maybe get a paper route.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/16/2014 3:10 PM, nestork wrote:

STOP again. At that point, 99.9 percent of the confirmed suckers from
Phase 1 of the scam are going to avoid contact with anyone promising a
lot of money in return for a little bit.

One would think that it should be obvious, wouldn't you? But, every day
somebody falls for one or the other of 'em...some guy was on the local
(well, what passes for local 260 mi from here) TV news that had fallen
for one...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
news

- To: 'Recipients'

Your email won you 1,000,000.00 Pounds(One Million Pounds Sterling) In
the Microsoft Award E-mail Lottery. Contact Fast Way Couriers for
claims, Name: Mr. Murray Duncan e-mail: Your Name:
Your Age: Your country: Your Mobile:

I can't put that much money under my mattress, right?

If it's that many pounds, it must be heavy!