Posted to alt.home.repair
ChairMan[_6_] ChairMan[_6_] is offline

Default My wife got richer...

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 11:04:39 -0500, IGot2P
wrote:

What's the big deal about giving someone your bank
account number?
Heck, it is on every check that you write so it is not a
big secret.

The check has the routing number. Spammers are asking for
account
numbers. Name, SS#, address, etc. Hoping to set the hook
on a victim.

Your point is valid. My bride went in person to pay
property taxes
one year, paid by check - all is not so well, when she
asked me about
spending $300 at HD & Walmart respectively ($600 even not
$592).

Short story as _best_ as I can figure, the routing and
account number
was used in a software printed check.

Bottom line - our bank fraud dept. fixed everything. HD
and Wally ate
the money - not us or the bank.

just wait and see how bad it gets now with these kids and
their smartphones.
I asked my daughters yesterday if they banked with their
phones, both said yes, then thought I was crazy for telling
them they are sitting ducks.
I don't think most of them even look at the permissions they
allow when installing apps. They just say "Oh look, this
looks like a cool app"