Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - What can I buy the wife

The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz Suz is offline

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...
The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

What about a watch? Useful, pretty and lasts.
Got my mum an Armani watch for her seventieth birthday and she seems happy
with that.
See http://tinyurl.com/p9zne for example.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Suz" wrote in message
"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...
The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

What about a watch? Useful, pretty and lasts.
Got my mum an Armani watch for her seventieth birthday and she seems happy
with that.

A watch wouldn't be useful to me, I'm rarely interested in the time. And I'm
not interested in 'pretty' things.

So all that says is that there are different opinions and preferences among
people.

Heck, if someone's been married to someone for (presumably) years he really
should know her preferences better than anyone here does.

It's typical of a man to not bother thinking and making up his own mind
though :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

Heck, if someone's been married to someone for (presumably) years he really
should know her preferences better than anyone here does.

It's typical of a man to not bother thinking and making up his own mind
though :-)

Mary

Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!

40 years come next March, and we've only ever had one arguement - it
started on March 25th 1967 and it's still going on! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

Heck, if someone's been married to someone for (presumably) years he
really
should know her preferences better than anyone here does.

It's typical of a man to not bother thinking and making up his own mind
though :-)

Mary

Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!

You're not trying :-)

40 years come next March, and we've only ever had one arguement - it
started on March 25th 1967 and it's still going on! :-)

Oh dear ... I do hope the smiley tells all ...

Seriously, I've worked hard at finding very special gifts to mark Spouse's
anniversaries, even a flying lesson in a Tiger Moth. When it comes to my
birthday he says he can't think of anything for me.

For example, last night we were at a son's birthday/anniversary party. I was
in deep conversation with my daughter in law when Spouse asked if I'd like
anything to eat. I said thank you, yes. He asked what? I said you choose. I
didn't want to interrupt the talk Bronwen and I were having. He said he
didn't know what I wanted. This after 47 years!

shrug

I'm used to it, he more than makes up for it in other ways.

My response was that I don't ask him to choose what he'd like for his dinner
every night, I think, plan, prepare, cook and serve. I think he got the
message because he brought me a wrap filled with everything on the table. It
was delicious.

Just something you've put some thought into will almost certainly delight
your wife, not something obvious like a bunch of flowers from the filling
station or a box of Roses (bleurch) or a takeaway from McDs.

I have all sorts of ideas but I'm not gong to make it easy for you :-)
Nothing worthwhile is easy, if you put some effort into it she'll love it
and you.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

checks s/n ratio:

Mary Fisher wrote:
snip

ah, is this about DIY ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"." wrote in message
checks s/n ratio:

Mary Fisher wrote:
snip

ah, is this about DIY ?

LOL!

I'm trying to persuade the OP to do it himself rather than get us to do it
:-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Homer2911"
saying something like:

The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

30 year old toyboy?
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

Heck, if someone's been married to someone for (presumably) years he
really
should know her preferences better than anyone here does.

It's typical of a man to not bother thinking and making up his own mind
though :-)

Mary

Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!

You're not trying :-)

I'm sure his wife finds him very trying on times - mine does. I agree with
OP about womens minds..

40 years come next March, and we've only ever had one arguement - it
started on March 25th 1967 and it's still going on! :-)

Oh dear ... I do hope the smiley tells all ...

Seriously, I've worked hard at finding very special gifts to mark Spouse's
anniversaries, even a flying lesson in a Tiger Moth. When it comes to my
birthday he says he can't think of anything for me.

I have the same problem with my wife..

For example, last night we were at a son's birthday/anniversary party. I

was
in deep conversation with my daughter in law when Spouse asked if I'd like
anything to eat. I said thank you, yes. He asked what? I said you choose.

didn't want to interrupt the talk Bronwen and I were having. He said he
didn't know what I wanted. This after 47 years!

Yes, but he probably knows how to choose the wrong thing. I certainly do..

shrug

I'm used to it, he more than makes up for it in other ways.

My response was that I don't ask him to choose what he'd like for his

dinner
every night, I think, plan, prepare, cook and serve. I think he got the
message because he brought me a wrap filled with everything on the table.

It
was delicious.

Just something you've put some thought into will almost certainly delight
your wife, not something obvious like a bunch of flowers from the filling
station or a box of Roses (bleurch) or a takeaway from McDs.

I think very often men are interested in everything *but* what many women
are interested in, we will accept just about anything wer're given,
on the other hand, women.. ;-)

Of course, Mary you are the exception, etc..

LOL

Paul

I have all sorts of ideas but I'm not gong to make it easy for you :-)
Nothing worthwhile is easy, if you put some effort into it she'll love it
and you.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Homer2911" contains these words:

The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

A lead-lined coffin?

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 12:24:10 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I think he got the
message because he brought me a wrap filled with everything on the table.

No wonder you are 'big' Mary! ducks ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Homer2911 wrote:
The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

A boob job.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Homer2911 wrote:
The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

Diamonds.

Or if you can't afford those, try a few days at a 'pamper yourself' beauty
break. (Maybe that will last a bit..., maybe not)

--

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I think he got the
message because he brought me a wrap filled with everything on the table.

No wonder you are 'big' Mary! ducks ;-)

I know, but normally I don't eat like that. The bigness is more a function
of not being able to exercise much (severe degeneration of my lower spine).

The problem last night wasn't how much I ATE ... all that champagne ... we
were a little fragile this morning :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Homer2911"
saying something like:

The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

30 year old toyboy?

Oh Heavens, that's the last thing I'd want. I prefer someone with a lot more
experience :-)

Mary
--

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 14:20:25 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I think he got the
message because he brought me a wrap filled with everything on the table.

No wonder you are 'big' Mary! ducks ;-)

I know, but normally I don't eat like that.

Good, you should always leave something for the other guests .. ?

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote
The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?
30 year old toyboy?

Oh Heavens, that's the last thing I'd want. I prefer someone with a lot
more experience :-)

Two x 30-year-old toyboys?

Any number of thirty year olds haven't appealed to me for decades. I have
enough with my own toyboy. Spouse is younger than me!

Mary

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!

You're not trying :-)

Some people are just useless when it comes to buying pressies - i`m one
of them...

I just go into some weird panic attack mode, and walk around like a
zombie for 4 hours, not taking in anything i`m looking at, until the
missus tells me to give up and come home !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!

You're not trying :-)

Some people are just useless when it comes to buying pressies - i`m one
of them...

Do you have the same problem when shopping around for something you want?

I doubt it, you think about it because you're enthusiastic about it. It's a
pity you're not as enthusiastic as making a gift to someone you're fond of.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Jul 2006 02:58:05 -0700, "Homer2911" had
this to say:

The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

A good bench saw. If she doesn't want it she'll give it to you...

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...
The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

Nobody here is going to know her well enough to come up with something she
is sure to like. In any case, you are probably too late to book what I
usually give my partner for her birthday - a long weekend in a major
European city.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

30 year old toyboy?

Oh Heavens, that's the last thing I'd want. I prefer someone with a
lot more
experience :-)

But think of all the good karma you'll acrue from the happiness of his
future partners once you've shown him the ropes. And the feathers. And
the little rubber thing with the wiggly bit.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 16:20:27 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
et...
Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!
You're not trying :-)

Some people are just useless when it comes to buying pressies - i`m one
of them...

Do you have the same problem when shopping around for something you want?

Why would anyone, only sorting out the best vfm etc?

I doubt it, you think about it because you're enthusiastic about it.

Or are shopping with a purpose?

It's a
pity you're not as enthusiastic as making a gift to someone you're fond of.

*We* rarely buy / make / give each other anything because 1) we don't
feel a need to and 2) generally would wouldn't know what to get for
each other and 3) we don't 'do' birthdays, wedding anniversaries,
xmyth etc?

That's not to say I have never bought / made / done something for my
wife *because* I know she would like / need / want it though (but not
on any particular date?) ?

I suspect many folk buy / get / do something with / for their partners
purely because it's expected and they would never hear the last of it
if they didn't.

We are closer than that ..

All the best ..

T i m

Like the (mainly) guys who do all their last minute shopping at the
petrol stations on their way home on the day .. but it's the thought
that counts isn't it? ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 547761 20060709 162027 "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
et...
Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!
You're not trying :-)

Some people are just useless when it comes to buying pressies - i`m one
of them...

Do you have the same problem when shopping around for something you want?

I doubt it, you think about it because you're enthusiastic about it. It's a
pity you're not as enthusiastic as making a gift to someone you're fond of.

Mary

That's unfair, Mary. Most women are contrary. Whatever you buy them is wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , T i m
writes
wrote:

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Mine likes to hear- "I've managed to pay your credit card off" -again....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

Heck, if someone's been married to someone for (presumably) years he

really
should know her preferences better than anyone here does.

It's typical of a man to not bother thinking and making up his own mind
though :-)

Mary

Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!

40 years come next March, and we've only ever had one arguement - it
started on March 25th 1967 and it's still going on! :-)

======================
To end the argument - a bag of old fashioned sweets - 'gob stoppers'.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
. net...
Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!
You're not trying :-)

Some people are just useless when it comes to buying pressies - i`m one
of them...

Do you have the same problem when shopping around for something you want?

Why would anyone, only sorting out the best vfm etc?

I doubt it, you think about it because you're enthusiastic about it.

Or are shopping with a purpose?

Quite :-)

It's a
pity you're not as enthusiastic as making a gift to someone you're fond
of.

*We* rarely buy / make / give each other anything because 1) we don't
feel a need to and 2) generally would wouldn't know what to get for
each other and 3) we don't 'do' birthdays, wedding anniversaries,
xmyth etc?

No, but the OP does, apparently.

That's not to say I have never bought / made / done something for my
wife *because* I know she would like / need / want it though (but not
on any particular date?) ?

I suspect many folk buy / get / do something with / for their partners
purely because it's expected and they would never hear the last of it
if they didn't.

I can't cope with all those slashes ...

We are closer than that ..

All the best ..

T i m

Like the (mainly) guys who do all their last minute shopping at the
petrol stations on their way home on the day .. but it's the thought
that counts isn't it? ;-)

It's marketing to suckers.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
in 547761 20060709 162027 "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
. net...
Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!
You're not trying :-)

Some people are just useless when it comes to buying pressies - i`m one
of them...

Do you have the same problem when shopping around for something you want?

I doubt it, you think about it because you're enthusiastic about it. It's
pity you're not as enthusiastic as making a gift to someone you're fond
of.

Mary

That's unfair, Mary. Most women are contrary. Whatever you buy them is
wrong.

Only because it is, usually :-)

If you put more thought into it ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

Heck, if someone's been married to someone for (presumably) years he

really
should know her preferences better than anyone here does.

It's typical of a man to not bother thinking and making up his own mind
though :-)

Mary

Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!

40 years come next March, and we've only ever had one arguement - it
started on March 25th 1967 and it's still going on! :-)

======================
To end the argument - a bag of old fashioned sweets - 'gob stoppers'.

Can you still get them in bags?

Your ploy isn't working :-)

Mary

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

30 year old toyboy?

Oh Heavens, that's the last thing I'd want. I prefer someone with a
lot more
experience :-)

But think of all the good karma you'll acrue from the happiness of his
future partners once you've shown him the ropes. And the feathers. And
the little rubber thing with the wiggly bit.

You believe in karma?

But when I'd finished with him there's be nothing left for future partners.
He might not have a future anyway.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On 9 Jul 2006 02:58:05 -0700, "Homer2911" had
this to say:

The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

A good bench saw. If she doesn't want it she'll give it to you...

Ah, technology. I bought Spouse a Teasmade. I don't understand how to use it
so it's definitely his. He's had several since, he likes it so much.

I bought him a super duper sewing machine, he's using it as I type. I don't
understand the controls - but prefer hand sewing anyway.

He bought himself the vacuum cleaner.

Mary

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...
The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

Nobody here is going to know her well enough to come up with something she
is sure to like. In any case, you are probably too late to book what I
usually give my partner for her birthday - a long weekend in a major
European city.

Colin Bignell

I wouldn't want that but a memorable break is a good idea. I'd love a cruise
to Greenland, I keep hinting but he's refused. I'll bring it up again and
again until he gives in, then I'll say how clever he is for thinking of it
:-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some people are just useless when it comes to buying pressies - i`m one
of them...

Do you have the same problem when shopping around for something you want?

Funnily enough, I do, unless its something really specific - and even
then i`ll usually ignore the idea for a couple of months. Of course,
there are some impulse buys, but the same applies to the missus - if
there`s anything that catches her eye, all she has to do is ask, time of
year or proximity to a "memorable date" has nothing to do with it.

I say ask, because, being a bloke, i`m completely unaware of the
subtleties of "ooh, isn't that nice", and many a time i`ve bought
something misunderstanding her meaning of "nice" only to find she meant
completely the opposite - we once ended up in Las Vegas on holiday for
exactly that reason !

I doubt it, you think about it because you're enthusiastic about it. It's a
pity you're not as enthusiastic as making a gift to someone you're fond of.

No, i`m just plain ol' clueless :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Some people are just useless when it comes to buying pressies - i`m one
of them...

Do you have the same problem when shopping around for something you want?

Funnily enough, I do, unless its something really specific - and even
then i`ll usually ignore the idea for a couple of months. Of course,
there are some impulse buys, but the same applies to the missus - if
there`s anything that catches her eye, all she has to do is ask, time of
year or proximity to a "memorable date" has nothing to do with it.

I say ask, because, being a bloke, i`m completely unaware of the
subtleties of "ooh, isn't that nice",

sigh

and many a time i`ve bought
something misunderstanding her meaning of "nice" only to find she meant
completely the opposite - we once ended up in Las Vegas on holiday for
exactly that reason !

I doubt it, you think about it because you're enthusiastic about it. It's
pity you're not as enthusiastic as making a gift to someone you're fond
of.

No, i`m just plain ol' clueless :-}

Of course you are, if your name denotes that you have dangly bits.

For the record, I hate shopping.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
T i m wrote:
I suspect many folk buy / get / do something with / for their partners
purely because it's expected and they would never hear the last of it
if they didn't.
Like the (mainly) guys who do all their last minute shopping at the
petrol stations on their way home on the day .. but it's the thought
that counts isn't it? ;-)

I pity those women whose husbands don't have secretaries to buy them a
really thoughtful present :-)

Of course those husbands who do have secretaries sometimes buy the
secretary a more thoughtful present than their wife would want ;-)

How do they decide what the secretary wants? Unless the sec. is male of
course.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Homer2911" contains these words:

The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

Gliding lessons.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
Homer2911 writes
The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

That angle grinder you've always wanted

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote
The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?
30 year old toyboy?
Oh Heavens, that's the last thing I'd want. I prefer someone with a lot
more experience :-)

Two x 30-year-old toyboys?

Any number of thirty year olds haven't appealed to me for decades. I have
enough with my own toyboy.

Are you a closet lesbian then ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Suz" wrote in message
"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...
The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

What about a watch? Useful, pretty and lasts.
Got my mum an Armani watch for her seventieth birthday and she seems happy
with that.
See http://tinyurl.com/p9zne for example.

Why bother with a watch when there's a clock on the cooker?

;-)

--
ETV