Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How long does Sharkbite last?

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it doesn't
leak.

I don't like the idea of selling the house and the new owners saying bad
things about me after I'm gone, like I did about the previous owner for
his terrible caulking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 12:45:58 -0500, micky
wrote:

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it doesn't
leak.

I don't like the idea of selling the house and the new owners saying bad
things about me after I'm gone, like I did about the previous owner for
his terrible caulking.

Can't answer but some posters here still have them in use. I'd use
them if I needed too. I'd not worry about how long they last, from
what I've seen of them, they are good quality. YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it doesn't
leak.

I don't like the idea of selling the house and the new owners saying bad
things about me after I'm gone, like I did about the previous owner for
his terrible caulking.

They are supposed to last about forever. I had a couple of them in my
house but only for a couple of years now. In my case, I used them in
a couple of places where it was difficult to safely solder and I'd do
it again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it doesn't
leak.

I don't like the idea of selling the house and the new owners saying bad
things about me after I'm gone, like I did about the previous owner for
his terrible caulking.

They are supposed to last about forever. I had a couple of them in my
house but only for a couple of years now. In my case, I used them in
a couple of places where it was difficult to safely solder and I'd do
it again.

+1 I have the exact same story. Bought the place only 2 years ago though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it doesn't
leak.

I don't like the idea of selling the house and the new owners saying bad
things about me after I'm gone, like I did about the previous owner for
his terrible caulking.

They are supposed to last about forever. I had a couple of them in my

They rotate, even after they are connected! They had 4 examples on
display at home depot and they rotate as easy as a wheel on a toy truck!

house but only for a couple of years now. In my case, I used them in
a couple of places where it was difficult to safely solder and I'd do
it again.

This is a toilet shut off valve. Only 4 to 6 inches from the particle
board with wood-like finish cabinet on the left to the valve. And the
supply pipe to the tank goes straight up so I guess about 6 inches to
the toilet on the right.

I've soldered about a dozen pipes, never had much trouble, but had loads
of space to work with. Do you think there is room here?

I could also go somewhere else and buy a valve with compression fitting
on the pipe and the supply tube.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was

Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it doesn't

leak.

I don't like the idea of selling the house and the new owners saying bad

things about me after I'm gone, like I did about the previous owner for

his terrible caulking.

Can't answer but some posters here still have them in use. I'd use

them if I needed too. I'd not worry about how long they last, from

what I've seen of them, they are good quality. YMMV

Shut the **** up you capitalist piece of ****
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2014 12:45 PM, micky wrote:
How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it doesn't
leak.

I don't like the idea of selling the house and the new owners saying bad
things about me after I'm gone, like I did about the previous owner for
his terrible caulking.

Most new technology has a "critical detector". It
fails when it's least convenient.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The shark bite is a BETTER solution than the compression fitting. With
compression fittings, over time, you often get seepage between the
olive and the pipe which shows up as a greenish white deposit at the
joint. I've never seen that with a sharkbite.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it doesn't
leak.

I don't like the idea of selling the house and the new owners saying
bad things about me after I'm gone, like I did about the previous
owner for his terrible caulking.

Learn to sweat fit. Using the right stuff makes a world of difference.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomat...1665/203391035

Once I got one of these the apprehension of sweating went way down. With
the hose you can get into places that were impossible to get in with the
head that just screws on top of a tank. That black strap thing hooks on
your belt to hold the tank when you're on a ladder up in joists. No
weight on the torch head in your hand. It ignites and shuts off with a
button on the grip. Look on the left side of the pic. That's a metal
slot to drop the warm/hot torch tip in between doing things.

When cramped in a tight spot with things that will burn, leftover pieces
of hardibacker board won't burn or absorb heat. Never used one but
another option:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-9-i...oldering+cloth

They say it doesn't leak...

Oh, nevermind everything I said. The person at HD has spoken. It must be true.

Lemme toss this out. If you had a plumber install something at your
place (shower, furnace) and they had Sharkbites connecting things, what
would be running through your head?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have one of these for sweating in tight places, but I've also used
SharkBites and would use them again if the situation called for it.
Sometimes it's not just the proximity to other objects that makes sweating
pipes difficult, but how hard it is to get to, etc.

http://tinyurl.com/lsafo2o

http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-HC...RB2X6WBPCS8 3

I've soldered about a dozen pipes, never had much trouble, but had loads
of space to work with. Do you think there is room here?

I could also go somewhere else and buy a valve with compression fitting
on the pipe and the supply tube.

I've never liked compression fittings. Too bulky for one thing and more apt
to seep than only other type of fitting I've tried.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it doesn't
leak.

I don't like the idea of selling the house and the new owners saying bad
things about me after I'm gone, like I did about the previous owner for
his terrible caulking.

They are supposed to last about forever. I had a couple of them in my
house but only for a couple of years now. In my case, I used them in
a couple of places where it was difficult to safely solder and I'd do
it again.

Same here. I wanted to tap into the pipe that goes to my front hose bib,
which is at street pressure, and run a "street pressure" pipe for my back
hose bib. The pipe is way up is right up against the front wall and the
pipe to the back of the house was going to run over the ductwork, up in a
joist bay. On my workbench, I sweated the complicated section where the
pipe comes down from the joist bay to the hose bib, then ran a length of
PEX across the basement and used Sharkbites to connect the PEX to the
copper at both ends. It's been 5 years or so that's all I can attest to as
far as longevity.

The fun part was the SharkBite cap that I used when I removed the old pipe
to the rear hose bib. I was procrastinating starting the plumbing job and
knew I needed something to get me started. I figured that if I removed the
old pipe to the hose bib, I'd have to install the new one. One Sunday I was
watching a football game. I got up during a commercial, turned off the
water to the house, cut the pipe to the hose bib, popped on a SharkBite
cap, and turned the water back on. I was back upstairs before the
commercial was over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
micky wrote in
:

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it doesn't
leak.

....snip...

They say it doesn't leak...

Oh, nevermind everything I said. The person at HD has spoken. It must be true.

I don't think they certified them for underground and no-access-panel
installations based on what the guy at Home Depot said.

http://www.cashacme.com/_images/pdf_...B_ASSE1061.pdf

Lemme toss this out. If you had a plumber install something at your
place (shower, furnace) and they had Sharkbites connecting things, what
would be running through your head?

It would depend on the conversation that we had beforehand. If he had a
valid reason for using them, and the cost was the same or cheaper than
other connection methods, I don't think it would be an issue.

I'm not arguing, but let me toss the same question back to you. What would
be running through your head?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
micky wrote in
:

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it doesn't
leak.

...snip...

They say it doesn't leak...

Oh, nevermind everything I said. The person at HD has spoken. It must
be true.

I don't think they certified them for underground and no-access-panel
installations based on what the guy at Home Depot said.

http://www.cashacme.com/_images/pdf_...arkbite/SB_ASS
E1061.pdf

Lemme toss this out. If you had a plumber install something at your
place (shower, furnace) and they had Sharkbites connecting things,
what would be running through your head?

It would depend on the conversation that we had beforehand. If he had
a valid reason for using them, and the cost was the same or cheaper
than other connection methods, I don't think it would be an issue.

I'm not arguing, but let me toss the same question back to you. What
would be running through your head?

I am no plumber. I have not even done a whole whole lot of DIY sweating.
Many projects over the years but not like a home addition. But if I can
sweat a sill cock in a tight ceiling end joist where you have to reach in
to get at it, an experienced licensed plumber should be able to do
similar things.

It would depend on the conversation that we had beforehand. If he had
a valid reason for using them...

If it were an area that remained open I'm sure they could do a successful
sales pitch on me. Going behind a closed wall would be a different story.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
micky wrote in
:

[...]

Even I, just a DIY homeowner, _could_ (and have) sweat soldered fittings in
tight places. I've used my heat shield blanket and even wetted down the
surrounding wood just to be safe. I _could_ (and have) screwed many a
screw with a screwdriver. However, in both cases, there are now easier
options. In both cases, the easier option is more expensive, but the time
and effort saved is often well worth the expense.

I know that in my case, when transitioning from copper to PEX, or even
doing a copper to copper addition - in very tight spaces - the extra
expense doesn't bother me at all. As I said in one of my other posts, I
have sweated together sections of plumbing with multiple fittings in my
shop and then, quick and easy, inserted these sections into the existing
plumbing up in the joist bays.

Well worth the extra money the couple of SharkBites cost me, although it's
the expense that prevents from going all Sharkbites.

It would depend on the conversation that we had beforehand. If he had
a valid reason for using them...

If it were an area that remained open I'm sure they could do a successful
sales pitch on me. Going behind a closed wall would be a different story.

Why? Do you not trust the certifications granted? Is there a time period
that you have set before you'll start trusting the certification that
allows them to be used underground and in other concealed spaces? Again,
just curious...
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
micky wrote in
:

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it
doesn't leak.

...snip...

They say it doesn't leak...

Oh, nevermind everything I said. The person at HD has spoken. It
must be true.

I don't think they certified them for underground and
no-access-panel installations based on what the guy at Home Depot
said.

http://www.cashacme.com/_images/pdf_...sharkbite/SB_A
SS E1061.pdf

[...]

Today two commercial/residential experienced plumbers came into the
store. I asked them do they use Sharkbites. Response was NFW except in a
1am situation where they needed a temporary repair always to be followed
up next business day with permanent sweat fittings.

I asked why. They said half the time it they failed the pressure test
when they tried them way back.

I believe the pressure test is they cap off the rough in piping, put a
pressure gauge on an open end and pump it up to some psi at the end of a
day. In the morning they check the pressure gauge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How long does Sharkbite last? Forever

micky posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it doesn't
leak.

I don't like the idea of selling the house and the new owners saying bad
things about me after I'm gone, like I did about the previous owner for
his terrible caulking.

What and why do you care what others think? Some will think you are an ahole
while others think you are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Most don't
have opinion or don't know you. You'll probably be feeding the worms.

Repair it to satisfy YOURSELF. If you don't think they work use something
else. Many good reports on them have been posted. Don't look back; everybody
takes a crap shoot at life.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How long does Sharkbite last? ask a plumber?

Red Green posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Today two commercial/residential experienced plumbers came into the
store. I asked them do they use Sharkbites. Response was NFW except in a
1am situation where they needed a temporary repair always to be followed
up next business day with permanent sweat fittings.

I asked why. They said half the time it they failed the pressure test
when they tried them way back.

I believe the pressure test is they cap off the rough in piping, put a
pressure gauge on an open end and pump it up to some psi at the end of a
day. In the morning they check the pressure gauge.

When was this; in their infancy? Do they have a vested interest in this?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

plumbers would lose lots of business and money if sharkbites become common.....

so they wouldnt use them themselves and discurage others whenever possible.

kinda like the end of cast iron since its largely been replaced by PVC