Old October 11th 09, 05:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default SharkBite fittings for Copper and PEX

I always sweated copper, but I want to try PEX for my next upgrade.

The cold water spigot at the front of the house is at street pressure,
but the backyard spigot is after the PRV. I'd like to tab into the
street pressure pipe and get the higher pressure in the backyard.

All I need is 2 connections: a Tee and a coupling - along with about 35'
of tubing.

According to the video at this site (starting at about 4:15) SharkBite
connections can be used with copper and PEX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvAzcJpM0k

So, assuming I have room to get this fitting into the existing pipe, is
there any reason I shouldn't use the SharkBite Tee to tap into existing
pipe?

http://www.pexsupply.com/Cash-Acme-U...-Tee-4456000-p

I know $8 for a Tee is expensive, but it's way cheaper than a crimping
or clamping tool.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Old October 11th 09, 06:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 12:56*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I started using the Sharkbite fittings a couple or three years ago. I
now have an assortment in my plumbing fittings case. They work great
and are far faster than anything else out there. They are
particularly useful for applications where you might be testing or
modifying the supply lines, as they are easily removed and reused.

I'm pretty good at sweating pipe, and have a crimping tool, but I
still turn to the Sharkbite fittings for many installations. You can,
of course, get cheaper connections, but you're already saving money by
switching to PEX - how low do you want to go?

Old October 11th 09, 07:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 1:07*pm, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

Can I assume you use them for both PEX and copper, as I plan to do?
Old October 11th 09, 08:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 2:36*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Yep. I just used some in a _very_ tight space where there were two
ancient and leaking shutoff valves that had to be replaced. Getting a
crimp tool in there would have been next to impossible, and a torch
would have removed the rest of the house.

The only caveat is to make sure you debur and smooth the end of the
pipe so you don't beat up on the EPDM O-ring.

Old October 11th 09, 09:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:56:07 -0400, DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I've used SharkBite fittings in applications where soldering would
have been extremely difficult, and they work a real treet. I used them
strictly on copper, but they work the same on PEX..

At $8 per, they were a CHEAP solution to a difficult problem.

Old October 11th 09, 10:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 9:56*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

For a quick repair or modification or in difficult
spot.......SharkBites are the way to go.

They are perfect for adding PEX to an existing copper system.

Though I've never had the nerve to seal one up in a wall.......
which of course is a silly superstition.

Doing an entire system in SharkBites would really add up.
For more extensive PEX work I used the Wirsbo expander (hand)
imo, way better than crimp ring system. But the tools are spendy.

and pexsupply is where I get my stuff

cheers
Bob

Old October 12th 09, 03:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

I used them, and I liked them. The line I had to replace was UNDER a cabin,
and it would have a pure dee bitch to do with other means. The stuff is
easy to work with, just make sure you do a clean cut. I cut my tubing with
a hack saw. I had doubts, but tried it because of the location and the
inability to get in there and cut out the burst frozen section and sweat
together again without major risk. I like them.

Steve

Old October 12th 09, 04:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 10:50*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

Thanks all! SharkBite it is then!
Old October 12th 09, 05:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Reply: Do not forget to buy the little dollar or two "tool" (piece of
plastic) that allows you to disconnect the pieces. It will be worth it if
you need to take them apart, as I did, or down the line if you want to
modify. I was seriously skeptical, but I'd use them again in a heartbeat
after the guy at HD demonstrated them. Even my wife was skeptical, and she
could do it with the demo pieces. The only thing I did differently was use
a compression fitting T instead of a SharkBite T because it was about $7
cheaper. But then my buddy and I couldn't get enough force on the nuts to
get the compression fitting to close tight enough. We were up at the cabin,
and had limited tools, just a pair of big Channel Locks and a pair of Vise
Grip pliers. Two old farts were just not strong enough. We ended up
putting the Channel Locks in one of the holes of one of our car's rims FROM
THE INSIDE, and using that for enough of a stopper to get that last quarter
turn that closed off the water flow. It was one solid hour of Larry, Moe,
and Curly minus one. Hooking and unhooking, turning water on and off. That
is where the little plastic widget came in handy. Knowing that now, I'd
have spent the extra $7. We were both sore for two days afterwards pulling
like hell. I bruised the palm of my hand real good. ( I take coumadin.)

You're gonna love them. But, as the other person posted, get a REALLY
REALLY clean end. Use some aluminum oxide paper to get it right. The
better that O ring seals, the better the whole thing works, and if you have
one little burr, and cut the O ring ......................

Steve

Old October 12th 09, 05:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:39:41 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

[...]

I just used my adjustable wrench, closed down to the outside dia of
the pipe to push in the collar to release - I won't loose it as fast
as the special tool, and I already own several. (as well as a 5/8"
open end wrench that would also do the job))