Posted to alt.home.repair

Default SharkBite fittings for Copper and PEX

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:56:07 -0400, DerbyDad03
wrote:

I always sweated copper, but I want to try PEX for my next upgrade.

The cold water spigot at the front of the house is at street pressure,
but the backyard spigot is after the PRV. I'd like to tab into the
street pressure pipe and get the higher pressure in the backyard.

All I need is 2 connections: a Tee and a coupling - along with about 35'
of tubing.

According to the video at this site (starting at about 4:15) SharkBite
connections can be used with copper and PEX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvAzcJpM0k

So, assuming I have room to get this fitting into the existing pipe, is
there any reason I shouldn't use the SharkBite Tee to tap into existing
pipe?

http://www.pexsupply.com/Cash-Acme-U...-Tee-4456000-p

I know $8 for a Tee is expensive, but it's way cheaper than a crimping
or clamping tool.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

I've used SharkBite fittings in applications where soldering would
have been extremely difficult, and they work a real treet. I used them
strictly on copper, but they work the same on PEX..

At $8 per, they were a CHEAP solution to a difficult problem.