Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Copper 'street' fittings

B&Q have taken to selling what they call Cu 'street' style in endfeed
solder fittings. These have a normal size adapter female fit at one
end and at the other a tube size male fit. One store I use doesn't
offer what I regard as normal female-female type except on straight
couplers and 90deg bends.

I can see that sometimes these fittings can save space but it won't be
often. Mostly an additional standard (ie female-female) coupler is
needed to continue the pipe run.

Am I missing or not understanding something?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "marbles" contains these words:

Am I missing or not understanding something?

You can get a mandrel tool which expands the end of a pipe so the street
fitting plugs into it.

However, in the case of BQ it's probably 'cos some arse in head office
has noticed they're marginally cheaper so is flogging them while not
understanding what the difference is.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

marbles wrote:
B&Q have taken to selling what they call Cu 'street' style in endfeed

Just another fitting, used where the fitter finds it useful.

Am I missing or not understanding something?

Only in that you're buying fittings in B&Q. Try www.bse.ltd.uk or
Screwfix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Aidan" wrote in message
ups.com...

marbles wrote:
B&Q have taken to selling what they call Cu 'street' style in endfeed

Just another fitting, used where the fitter finds it useful.

Am I missing or not understanding something?

Only in that you're buying fittings in B&Q. Try www.bse.ltd.uk or
Screwfix.

www.bse.ltd.uk only if you want Mad Cow Disease. The OP could try
www.bes.ltd.uk if he want plumbing bits ;-)

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:

You can get a mandrel tool which expands the end of a pipe so the street
fitting plugs into it.

If you have one of those then you don't actually need a fitting at all
in many cases. Just stick the unexpanded pipe end into the socket
created by the tool.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

marbles wrote:
No one said what 'street' means or refers to in this context. Anyone
know?

It means that one end of the fitting is a pipe size male to fit directly
into another (normal female) fitting, so you can have two (or more)
fittings joined together without adding little stubs of pipe to connect
them together.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
marbles wrote:
No one said what 'street' means or refers to in this context. Anyone
know?

Interesting point - I've known that an elbow with a male and female end is
referred to as a street elbow, but not where the term comes from.

I'm surprised at B&Q stocking them - you don't tend to need them that
often.

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:

You can get a mandrel tool which expands the end of a pipe so the street
fitting plugs into it.

Yes, but that surely is only for use for manipulative joints using soft
(Table Y) tube, not normal Table X tube.

And why "street"?

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Wade wrote:
You can get a mandrel tool which expands the end of a pipe so the
street fitting plugs into it.

Yes, but that surely is only for use for manipulative joints using soft
(Table Y) tube, not normal Table X tube.

You can use them on table X after annealing it. But that is a bit of a
fiddle.

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"marbles" wrote in message
oups.com...

No one said what 'street' means or refers to in this context. Anyone
know?

When water mains were first run to houses the iron pipe has a tee for each
house. The tee was usually facing upwards and an M&F elbow fitted directly
on the tee, which could be turned to the appropriate house. So an M&F elbow
became a street elbow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
No one said what 'street' means or refers to in this context. Anyone
know?

When water mains were first run to houses the iron pipe has a tee for
each house. The tee was usually facing upwards and an M&F elbow fitted
directly on the tee, which could be turned to the appropriate house.
So an M&F elbow became a street elbow.

Quite believable - had it come from someone who could be trusted.

--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
No one said what 'street' means or refers to in this context. Anyone
know?

When water mains were first run to houses the iron pipe has a tee for
each house. The tee was usually facing upwards and an M&F elbow fitted
directly on the tee, which could be turned to the appropriate house.
So an M&F elbow became a street elbow.

Quite believable - had it come from someone who could be trusted.

Thinking on it's probably rubbish since it would mean an internal and
external thread on the same elbow - and I've not seen this on any old
barrel work. Unless a *real* expert can confirm it.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Thinking on it's probably rubbish since it would mean an internal and
external thread on the same elbow - and I've not seen this on any old
barrel work. Unless a *real* expert can confirm it.

Yes, steel/iron street elbows exist.

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/160a.asp

Don't know if that's the origin of the term; I read the same
explanation on a US-based forum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

No one said what 'street' means or
refers to in this context. Anyone
know?

When water mains were first run to houses the iron pipe has a tee for
each house. The tee was usually facing upwards and an M&F elbow fitted
directly on the tee, which could be turned to the appropriate house.
So an M&F elbow became a street elbow.

Quite believable

Richard Cranium, this is encouraging. The pills the warden gave you must be
working.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote:
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
No one said what 'street' means or refers to in this context. Anyone
know?

When water mains were first run to houses the iron pipe has a tee for
each house. The tee was usually facing upwards and an M&F elbow fitted
directly on the tee, which could be turned to the appropriate house.
So an M&F elbow became a street elbow.

Quite believable

snip Richard babble

Thinking on

Richard Cranium is now replying to himself. Sad isn't it.