Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default SharkBite fittings for Copper and PEX

On Oct 11, 10:50*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I always sweated copper, but I want to try PEX for my next upgrade.

The cold water spigot at the front of the house is at street pressure, but
the backyard spigot is after the PRV. I'd like to tab into the street
pressure pipe and get the higher pressure in the backyard.

All I need is 2 connections: a Tee and a coupling - along with about 35'
of tubing.

According to the video at this site (starting at about 4:15) SharkBite
connections can be used with copper and PEX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvAzcJpM0k

So, assuming I have room to get this fitting into the existing pipe, is
there any reason I shouldn't use the SharkBite Tee to tap into existing
pipe?

http://www.pexsupply.com/Cash-Acme-U...-Tee-4456000-p

I know $8 for a Tee is expensive, but it's way cheaper than a crimping or
clamping tool.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

I used them, and I liked them. *The line I had to replace was UNDER a cabin,
and it would have a pure dee bitch to do with other means. *The stuff is
easy to work with, just make sure you do a clean cut. *I cut my tubing with
a hack saw. *I had doubts, but tried it because of the location and the
inability to get in there and cut out the burst frozen section and sweat
together again without major risk. *I like them.

Steve

Thanks all! SharkBite it is then!