Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How long does Sharkbite last?

Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
micky wrote in
:

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it doesn't
leak.

...snip...

They say it doesn't leak...

Oh, nevermind everything I said. The person at HD has spoken. It must
be true.

I don't think they certified them for underground and no-access-panel
installations based on what the guy at Home Depot said.

http://www.cashacme.com/_images/pdf_...arkbite/SB_ASS
E1061.pdf

Lemme toss this out. If you had a plumber install something at your
place (shower, furnace) and they had Sharkbites connecting things,
what would be running through your head?

It would depend on the conversation that we had beforehand. If he had
a valid reason for using them, and the cost was the same or cheaper
than other connection methods, I don't think it would be an issue.

I'm not arguing, but let me toss the same question back to you. What
would be running through your head?

I am no plumber. I have not even done a whole whole lot of DIY sweating.
Many projects over the years but not like a home addition. But if I can
sweat a sill cock in a tight ceiling end joist where you have to reach in
to get at it, an experienced licensed plumber should be able to do
similar things.

Even I, just a DIY homeowner, _could_ (and have) sweat soldered fittings in
tight places. I've used my heat shield blanket and even wetted down the
surrounding wood just to be safe. I _could_ (and have) screwed many a
screw with a screwdriver. However, in both cases, there are now easier
options. In both cases, the easier option is more expensive, but the time
and effort saved is often well worth the expense.

I know that in my case, when transitioning from copper to PEX, or even
doing a copper to copper addition - in very tight spaces - the extra
expense doesn't bother me at all. As I said in one of my other posts, I
have sweated together sections of plumbing with multiple fittings in my
shop and then, quick and easy, inserted these sections into the existing
plumbing up in the joist bays.

Well worth the extra money the couple of SharkBites cost me, although it's
the expense that prevents from going all Sharkbites.

It would depend on the conversation that we had beforehand. If he had
a valid reason for using them...

If it were an area that remained open I'm sure they could do a successful
sales pitch on me. Going behind a closed wall would be a different story.

Why? Do you not trust the certifications granted? Is there a time period
that you have set before you'll start trusting the certification that
allows them to be used underground and in other concealed spaces? Again,
just curious...