Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How long does Sharkbite last?

micky wrote:
On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 16:03:21 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 12:45:58 -0500, micky
wrote:

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it doesn't
leak.

I don't like the idea of selling the house and the new owners saying bad
things about me after I'm gone, like I did about the previous owner for
his terrible caulking.

They are supposed to last about forever. I had a couple of them in my

They rotate, even after they are connected! They had 4 examples on
display at home depot and they rotate as easy as a wheel on a toy truck!

house but only for a couple of years now. In my case, I used them in
a couple of places where it was difficult to safely solder and I'd do
it again.

This is a toilet shut off valve. Only 4 to 6 inches from the particle
board with wood-like finish cabinet on the left to the valve. And the
supply pipe to the tank goes straight up so I guess about 6 inches to
the toilet on the right.

I have one of these for sweating in tight places, but I've also used
SharkBites and would use them again if the situation called for it.
Sometimes it's not just the proximity to other objects that makes sweating
pipes difficult, but how hard it is to get to, etc.

http://tinyurl.com/lsafo2o

http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-HC...RB2X6WBPCS8 3

I've soldered about a dozen pipes, never had much trouble, but had loads
of space to work with. Do you think there is room here?

I could also go somewhere else and buy a valve with compression fitting
on the pipe and the supply tube.

I've never liked compression fittings. Too bulky for one thing and more apt
to seep than only other type of fitting I've tried.