Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default How long does Sharkbite last?

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
micky wrote in
:

How long does Sharkbite last?

I have to replace a toilet shut-off valve and all that HD had was
Sharkbite.

They say it doesn't leak but they don't say for how long it
doesn't leak.

...snip...

They say it doesn't leak...

Oh, nevermind everything I said. The person at HD has spoken. It
must be true.

I don't think they certified them for underground and
no-access-panel installations based on what the guy at Home Depot
said.

http://www.cashacme.com/_images/pdf_...sharkbite/SB_A
SS E1061.pdf

Lemme toss this out. If you had a plumber install something at your
place (shower, furnace) and they had Sharkbites connecting things,
what would be running through your head?

It would depend on the conversation that we had beforehand. If he
had a valid reason for using them, and the cost was the same or
cheaper than other connection methods, I don't think it would be an
issue.

I'm not arguing, but let me toss the same question back to you. What
would be running through your head?

I am no plumber. I have not even done a whole whole lot of DIY
sweating. Many projects over the years but not like a home addition.
But if I can sweat a sill cock in a tight ceiling end joist where you
have to reach in to get at it, an experienced licensed plumber should
be able to do similar things.

Even I, just a DIY homeowner, _could_ (and have) sweat soldered
fittings in tight places. I've used my heat shield blanket and even
wetted down the surrounding wood just to be safe. I _could_ (and have)
screwed many a screw with a screwdriver. However, in both cases,
there are now easier options. In both cases, the easier option is more
expensive, but the time and effort saved is often well worth the
expense.

I know that in my case, when transitioning from copper to PEX, or even
doing a copper to copper addition - in very tight spaces - the extra
expense doesn't bother me at all. As I said in one of my other posts,
I have sweated together sections of plumbing with multiple fittings in
my shop and then, quick and easy, inserted these sections into the
existing plumbing up in the joist bays.

Well worth the extra money the couple of SharkBites cost me, although
it's the expense that prevents from going all Sharkbites.

It would depend on the conversation that we had beforehand. If he
had a valid reason for using them...

If it were an area that remained open I'm sure they could do a
successful sales pitch on me. Going behind a closed wall would be a
different story.

Why? Do you not trust the certifications granted? Is there a time
period that you have set before you'll start trusting the
certification that allows them to be used underground and in other
concealed spaces? Again, just curious...

Why? Do you not trust the certifications granted?

Today two commercial/residential experienced plumbers came into the
store. I asked them do they use Sharkbites. Response was NFW except in a
1am situation where they needed a temporary repair always to be followed
up next business day with permanent sweat fittings.

I asked why. They said half the time it they failed the pressure test
when they tried them way back.

I believe the pressure test is they cap off the rough in piping, put a
pressure gauge on an open end and pump it up to some psi at the end of a
day. In the morning they check the pressure gauge.