Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT PING: TDD

TDD,

Have you ever used an OEM Win7 HP product key on a Retail Win7 HP
clean install?

I get different answers and different approaches. Some say no, some
say yes. it will work. Some show how to edit a *.cfg file in an ISO
image, so Windows sees OEM or Retail - so the key can be entered for
activation. Some say skip key entry, and use the phone activation
process.

Friend's laptop has OEM Win7 Home Premium (HP) full of bloat ware.
Want to do a clean install from a retail (Win7 HP) disk ....use the
OEM key. I've extracted the key (BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB)
(sample)

Just want to use that key on a new, clean install from a retail disk
or a Win7 HP SP1 slipstream ISO image (authentic from MS)

The slipstream image saves a gozillion downloads before SP1 gets
installed and then another zillion updates to get current.

Hopefully, I'm not too confusing

....or a *good* NG for Windows 7? MS has stopped supporting Usenet
NG's
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 12:28:08 -0800, Todd wrote:

Hi Oren,

Thanks Todd.

Okay, I am not TTD (I am better looking). I do this
stuff for a living too.

The two key's don't mix.

Are you saying the OEM Product Key is not comparable with a Retail
disk (same version. I extracted the 25 alpha/numerical key from the
OEM laptop with Belarc Advisor (free)

I've read:

[a Retail Windows 7 disk will work with

1) a Retail Key

2) an OEM System Builder Key

3) an OEM_SLP Key

4) an UPgrade Key.]

You have the following opinions:

1) go find someone with the proper disk and
borrow it. M$ does not care. They only care
if you have the proper license, which you do.

I do not know a person with a OEM disk. I do have both x86 & x64
retail though.

or

2) take the OEM disk you have and alter it to
what you need (on a new disk). I have done this
as I need to support multiple version of W7.
Again, M$ does not care. They only care if
you purchased a proper license.

Trouble is, I have no OEM disk - just a retail disk(s).

If you a feeling lucky, I have the directions
for altering and creating new disks, which I can
send you. It is advanced user stuff though.

Thanks ... may take you up on the offer later

An idea: if your motherboard will boot off a USB
stick, you could create a bootable USB stick
and do the alternation from there. Be a lot easier
that remastering a DVD. Lot of directions on how to
create a bootable USB stick out on Google.

I did not check the BIOS on the laptop yet, but it is recent new so
I'm almost positive it will boot USB / CD, etc.

Much easier just to borrow a disk. Make a copy while
you have it. M$ doesn't care as long as you have a
proper license.

Wonder if a repair chow would make me an OEM copy of the OEM disk..

Frankenstein (Windows 8) is awful. Stay away from it.

LOL. Here is where I got the slipstream SP1 ISO image (if interested).

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river

(MS authorized)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2013 12:50 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I haven't used OEM Win7 for any installs, upgrades or reinstalls yet
even though I have OEM and pirate hacked copies. I have used the
recovery features on used laptops that I've obtained and if done right,
the built in recovery works very well. I did this with a used HP G62
loaded with Win7 I got from a pawn shop. I also did a recovery from the
built in partition on a Toshiba 17" laptop I also got from the pawnshop.
It has Vista and both machines are working normally. Your friends laptop
will have a recovery partition unless the hard drive was reformatted
which would probably erase it. I would recommend getting on the web and
looking for directions for doing a recovery which may reset the computer
back to the way it came from the factory which may or may not wipe out
what data and software has been installed by the owner. If you can, back
up pictures and documents before doing the recovery operation. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 15:29:10 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

She did not get disks from HP, but did make the recommenced recovery
disks and backups of the system.

I've burned her docs, pics and such to save.

The thing is, a clean install is better than the OEM bloat ware that
would be restored back to OEM from the factory....slowing the system
and using large amounts of system resources.

With so many "yes you can, no you can't" use OEM key on a retail
version - I've trying to verify it before I blow the partitions and
start over and get rid of all the system hogs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

OEM disto's use a BIOS key. Wrong BIOS key = not gonna work unless you
know what to do.

I can use my Dell distro on pretty much any Dell, circa close to orig.
Date.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 17:32:52 -0600, Irreverent Maximus
wrote:

OEM disto's use a BIOS key. Wrong BIOS key = not gonna work unless you
know what to do.

That makes sense. Don't think it applies to an OEM system builder
disk?

I can use my Dell distro on pretty much any Dell, circa close to orig.
Date.

I booted with the retail disk and deleted 4 patricians and have a new
install. Went and got the drivers for the Wifi, connected to the net
and doing updates now...138... more had I not used the SP1 disk.

A couple of other drivers are needed but I know what they are. Widows
disk did not have them. (Audio/Video specific)

Off to the races

Now, hopefully, the OEM key will activate when I tell it to!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2013 6:39 PM, Oren wrote:

I booted with the retail disk and deleted 4 patricians

I am sorry. I had to ROTFLMAO, then reconsider. I think I am
done for today.

I hope they were deleted in the gain of good mamaries.

*cough*

Sorry...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 18:59:49 -0600, Irreverent Maximus
wrote:

On 12/20/2013 6:39 PM, Oren wrote:

I booted with the retail disk and deleted 4 patricians

I am sorry. I had to ROTFLMAO, then reconsider. I think I am
done for today.

I hope they were deleted in the gain of good mamaries.

*cough*

Sorry...

Hey! The thing is roclin'. Faster than a whipper snapper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Check to see if the recovery partition is on the hard disk. You need to
see if there is a key combination to press which will put the computer
in recovery mode that works off the hard disk that's in the computer, no
CD needed. That's how I straightened out the laptops I bought. You can
remove factory loaded bloatware a lot easier than you think. Check
out Decrap, a free software to get factory installed bloatware off a new
laptop. ^_^

http://www.decrap.org/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:0rn9b9dgflnk1icbsovk1a77kue4shs46r@
4ax.com:

deleted 4 patricians

Oh, those poor patricians! But then they were rich, so I guess some would
see that as justice served.

Widows disk did not have them.

There's sosmething /all/ widows lack. Poor widows.

I'm going to go away and cry, now.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 19:16:41 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Check
out Decrap, a free software to get factory installed bloatware off a new
laptop. ^_^

http://www.decrap.org/

TDD

I'm familiar with the program. To late now.

I did a new install with a retail SP1 slipstream ISO image disk (from
my link above) version but used the OEM key. I skipped the on-line
activation for now, and have 30 days to find out is the OEM key works
with retail disk.

A great, free program, is Belarc Adviser. People may want to run it
and print the report for later use.

http://belarc.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 01:35:06 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

I'm going to go away and cry, now.

Let us know how that works out, okay?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-20-2013, 15:28, Todd wrote:
1) go find someone with the proper disk and
borrow it. M$ does not care. They only care
if you have the proper license, which you do.

2) take the OEM disk you have and alter it to
what you need (on a new disk). I have done this
as I need to support multiple version of W7.
Again, M$ does not care. They only care if
you purchased a proper license.

If you a feeling lucky, I have the directions
for altering and creating new disks, which I can
send you. It is advanced user stuff though.

A lady in my church was having trouble with her
Win XP. She prefers Mac, so I offered to trade
her a Mac laptop for the XP box.

But since she has so much stuff in Microsoft Office,
and can't afford to buy Office 2011 for Mac, I tried
to install Win XP in a virtual machine on the Macbook.

First, I tried several times with an XP CD I got from
my MSDN subscription. Every time, it claimed the product
key from her CD was invalid. And most of the times (not all)
it failed on the second reboot, claiming that it could not
find a particular file. I think it was a DLL but I don't
remember for sure. Same file each time. When I located the
file myself and "helped" by brtowsing to it, it still said
it couldn't find it.

Finally, I got the CD from her. Verified that the key on
the COA was exactly what she told me. Installed several times
with that. Same behavior.

The times it DID appear to install correctly, tried the phone
activation route with Microsoft. Each time was told they could not help
and I should "return the CD to the store I bought it from."

If that store still exists, it is on the other side of the continent.

--
Wes Groleau

Trying to be happy is like trying to build a machine for which
the only specification is that it should run noiselessly.
€” unknown

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-20-2013, 20:16, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Check to see if the recovery partition is on the hard disk. You need to
see if there is a key combination to press which will put the computer
in recovery mode that works off the hard disk that's in the computer, no
CD needed. That's how I straightened out the laptops I bought. You can
remove factory loaded bloatware a lot easier than you think. Check
out Decrap, a free software to get factory installed bloatware off a new
laptop. ^_^

I got a Windows 8 laptop cheap (display model). When I got it home, I
discovered that they had failed to remove the anti-theft device AND the
demo software.

The device took fifteen minutes to remove and left some kind of chemical
on the plastic shell. Looks normal when dry but when damp has a very
visible square on it.

The demo software only took a couple of minutes to "remove" by
reinstalling the factory default disk image stored somewhere
in the machine (not online). However, it took me at least
ten minutes to figure out how to find that option in the BIOS.

Windows 8 out-of-the-box is usable. I don't like it, but it is usable.

However, I bought this thing for someone who is visually impaired.
But when I turned on any of the accessibility features, the system was
no longer usable. The display was so trashed that I could not turn them
off. Had to use my new found BIOS trick to reinstall everything.

--
Wes Groleau

€œTo know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying
Amen to what the world tells you you should prefer,
is to have kept your soul alive.€
€” Robert Louis Stevenson

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-20-2013, 20:35, Tegger wrote:
Oren wrote in news:0rn9b9dgflnk1icbsovk1a77kue4shs46r@
4ax.com:
deleted 4 patricians

Oh, those poor patricians! But then they were rich, so I guess some would
see that as justice served.

Widows disk did not have them.

There's sosmething /all/ widows lack. Poor widows.

Unless they are patrician widows.

--
Wes Groleau

I won't burn your Koran because I don't want you to burn my Bible;
but if you burn my Bible, no one's going to die.
€” Robert Rhee

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 20:03:10 -0800, Todd wrote:

Unless they are patrician widows.

Someone misspelled more words than I did???? We can't
all have gone to publik skool!

You spelled skewl wrong.

Now Usenet has the word police!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Check
out Decrap, a free software to get factory installed bloatware off a new
laptop. ^_^

http://www.decrap.org/

TDD

Awww, different? From http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-20-2013, 22:58, Todd wrote:
M$ is just being turds. They know XP hasn't been available
for years. They are the worst at customer service of
any company I have ever known.

Which Virtual Machine did you try? Parallels?

VirtualBox. I'm giving her the computer, but I'm not quite generous
enough to buy software for it. :-)

You may have to go borrow a friend's CD and burn your own
copy. Your copy may be damaged. M$ doesn't care as long
as you have the key.

I burned it from my MSDN ISO right before the attempt, and like I said,
her CD had the exact same behavior. SAME file that it "couldn't find."

I still put together customer machines with XP. I have to
use the downgrade rights for Windows 7 Pro. There are no
XP disks available.

Last time I was on MSDN, the ISOs were still available there.
I am in a different department at work now, so I no longer have the MSDN
license.

Also, Libre Office, although it can't print an envelope for its
life, does a reasonable job of importing M$ Office documents.
And they fix their bugs (except envelope printing).
You can save back to M$ format too, if that floats your boat.
http://libreoffice.org
runs on Linux, Windows, Mac. Easier than a Virtual Machine.

OOO is OK for folks like us. But like Linux, it's not something I would
push on non-technical types. AND, I disagree with "reasonable
job of importing M$ Office documents." If all you want is the words,
and screw the formatting, sure. "Reasonable" to me is a little better
than that. Apple's Pages does a better job. But again, I'm not quite
that generous.

Then again, I only tried it a few times. Maybe the fact that it sucked
every time was just coincidence.

--
Wes Groleau

Is it an on-line compliment to call someone a Net Wit ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-20-2013, 23:13, Todd wrote:
If you want it to act like W7, download the following
free utility:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Thanks. Since I'm stuck with the machine, I might try it.
I'm tempted to upgrade it to Windows Seven or even Linux,
but it's a little hard to throw away the shiny new Win8,
even if it is crap.

I still can't give it to her, though. And she's lost more of her
vision, so now I need to set up a voice command system. I offered
to teach her Braille (yes, I am THAT old), but I don't think she's
interested.

What's saddest about it is that she was a really good artist
when she could see. Maybe God will heal her.

--
Wes Groleau

€œWhat you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing;
it also depends on what kind of person you are.€
-- C.S.Lewis

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 22:11:48 -0800, Todd wrote:

On 12/20/2013 09:28 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:
OO is OK for folks like us. But like Linux, it's not something I would
push on non-technical types. AND, I disagree with "reasonable
job of importing M$ Office documents." If all you want is the words,
and screw the formatting, sure. "Reasonable" to me is a little better
than that. Apple's Pages does a better job. But again, I'm not quite
that generous.

Then again, I only tried it a few times. Maybe the fact that it sucked
every time was just coincidence.

Use Libre Office, not Open Office. OO doesn't fix their bugs.
Libre Office just went through a huge rewrite of their M$
importer and it is pretty nice now.

_Comparison of office suites_

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_office_suites

Free is GOOD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Check
out Decrap, a free software to get factory installed bloatware off a new
laptop. ^_^

http://www.decrap.org/

TDD

I'm familiar with the program. To late now.

I did a new install with a retail SP1 slipstream ISO image disk (from
my link above) version but used the OEM key. I skipped the on-line
activation for now, and have 30 days to find out is the OEM key works
with retail disk.

A great, free program, is Belarc Adviser. People may want to run it
and print the report for later use.

http://belarc.com/

Belarc is one of many programs I have on my workstation. If you have MS
Antivirus, I discovered that it can't handle a lot of files even though
I install for "normal" folks. I have around 2.5 million files on my
machine and MS Antivirus gronked when it tried to scan my system so I
use AVG and I'm going to try another antivirus to see how well it works.
I'm going to be playing around with multiple operating systems on a new
machine I plan on building and hot-rodding my Dell workstation by
replacing the 2 core CPU with a 4 core CPU. The motherboard will only
handle 4gb of memory so I have to get a motherboard or a newer machine
that will take more memory. I've already started switching to solid
state hard drives in my laptops and a solid state drive can make an
older laptop a lot more usable. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2013 9:21 PM, Todd wrote:
http://www.decrap.org/

TDD

Hi Dufas,

This one I was unaware of. Thank you!

Here is one I adore for removing junkwa

http://thisisudax.org/

Run it on all my customer's Windows computers.

-T

Ya see there, we can swap software tips on the group because computers
are becoming an integral part of life including home repair. I'm sure
everyone knows about CCleaner, it was first called Crap Cleaner but the
name had to be altered for Political Correctness. CCleaner and many
other very useful software can be found on the File Hippo site and I get
a lot of paid software from Giveaway Of The Day. Keep an eye on the site
and you can pick up some very expensive software legally and for free.
Here's a list of a few sites I use a lot. I use Amazon the most. ^_^

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

http://www.filehippo.com/

http://www.findmysoft.com/

http://www.freebyte.com/

http://www.nirsoft.net/

http://www.bodo-wolff.de/?tu=Home

http://bluefive.pair.com/index.html

http://noeld.com/

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/safely-re...rd-disk-space/

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/comput...etworking.html

http://www.hwinfo.com/index.php

http://www.cpuid.com/

http://askbobrankin.com/

http://www.wisegeek.com/

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

http://websitedetective.net/

http://checkesnfree.com/

https://www.privacyfix.com/start

http://privacy-pc.com/

http://www.shodanhq.com/

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/

http://www.brokenprinter.com/

http://al.howardknight.net/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFEY9RIRJA

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

http://www.pcliquidations.com/

http://www.qtmemory.com/

http://www.sandman.com/

http://arrowdirect.com/

http://www.sfcable.com/

http://www.totalbarcode.com/

http://www.thebatterystop.com/

http://www.americansworking.com/

http://dx.com/

http://www.amamax.com/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2013 9:53 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:
[...]

I have Win7 on one machine and I believe it works well. I've XP on this
box and Vista on other computers. I'm going to install Win7 on a
partition in this box when I get a chance. I have 3 hard drives and 7
partitions across the drives in this desktop. I don't have a desktop
with a newer i3 or i5 CPU and something that will take more than 4gb of
memory on the motherboard so I'm looking for a used one. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Check
out Decrap, a free software to get factory installed bloatware off a new
laptop. ^_^

http://www.decrap.org/

TDD

Awww, different? From http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

There are several freeware programs out there that do a good job of
cleaning bloatware off a new machine, I look for and try them all. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2013 10:03 PM, Todd wrote:
On 12/20/2013 07:58 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 12-20-2013, 20:35, Tegger wrote:
Oren wrote in news:0rn9b9dgflnk1icbsovk1a77kue4shs46r@
4ax.com:
deleted 4 patricians

Oh, those poor patricians! But then they were rich, so I guess some
would
see that as justice served.

Widows disk did not have them.

There's sosmething /all/ widows lack. Poor widows.

Unless they are patrician widows.

Someone misspelled more words than I did???? We can't
all have gone to publik skool!

Know what this means? I get to spell squirl any
way I want!

Look at the YouTube video of Germans trying to say the word "squirrel",
It' very funny. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejuK8_12Fmg

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wes Groleau" wrote in message

I still can't give it to her, though. And she's lost
more of her vision, so now I need to set up a voice
command system. I offered to teach her Braille (yes, I
am THAT old), but I don't think she's interested.

What's saddest about it is that she was a really good
artist when she could see. Maybe God will heal her.

A number of years ago, my favorite aunt went blind from cataracts. She was
a widow and an avid Christian Scientist and spent a decade or so trying to
"pray them away". Didn't work. What DID work was meeting a gentleman; for
him, she had surgery.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Irreverent Maximus" wrote in message

OEM disto's use a BIOS key. Wrong BIOS key = not gonna
work unless you know what to do.

My Win XP is OEM (unbranded). I've used it on at least two totally
different computers and don't recall having any problem. By "totally
different" I mean different mobo, RAM, HD...everything.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-21-2013, 06:57, dadiOH wrote:
"Wes Groleau" wrote in message

I still can't give it to her, though. And she's lost
more of her vision, so now I need to set up a voice
command system. I offered to teach her Braille (yes, I
am THAT old), but I don't think she's interested.

What's saddest about it is that she was a really good
artist when she could see. Maybe God will heal her.

A number of years ago, my favorite aunt went blind from cataracts. She was
a widow and an avid Christian Scientist and spent a decade or so trying to
"pray them away". Didn't work. What DID work was meeting a gentleman; for
him, she had surgery.

Christian "Science" claims that illness and evil are illusions and will
vanish when you can accept the "fact" that you were wrong. Sounds like
a Star Trek episode.

Christianity says God can heal people. Why he often doesn't, I don't
know. The times it has happened seem to be rare, and there is
unfortunately a lot of fakery. But those who want to spend the time
looking can find some of the genuine events. Or those who like me had
the good fortune to meet one or more of them.

--
Wes Groleau

ยกQuรฉ quiero realmente hacer es comer un perrito caliente!
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=463

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR0lWICH3rY

--
Wes Groleau

€œIsn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read
and then attack what it didn't say?€

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2013 02:28 PM, Todd wrote:

[snip]

Frankenstein (Windows 8) is awful. Stay away from it.

I'd really like to, but I'll probably have to get it some time. I'm
often asked to help people with their computers.

BTW, I felt the same way about XP, with the new intentional defect
(misleadingly called "product activation"). As expected Windows 8 is
much worse.

--
4 days until The winter celebration (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Salvation through slavery is worthless. Salvation from slavery is
inestimable." [Robert G. Ingersoll, "The Gods", 1872]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:05:12 -0800, Todd wrote:

On 12/20/2013 01:17 PM, Oren wrote:
I do not know a person with a OEM disk. I do have both x86 & x64
retail though.

Any will do. The difference is just a few letters on
one particular file.

Yepper. Worked with the ISO SP1 slipstream image I downloaded and
burned.

Now have a clean install, no bloat ware, and is now activated. Put
all her pics, docs, music, etc. back on. Runs great.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 02:16:37 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

I found out the Product Key that Brlarc extracted was not the same as
the key on the laptop sticker. Tried to activate the system with the
key given by Belarc and activation failed several times.

FINALLY, I looked at the sticker and the key was different. Used the
sticker information and BANG - Genuine - Activated.

Belarc now extracts and shows the sticker key. Must be something to
do with when an OEM activates a system?

Anyway, Happy, Happy, Happy as Phil would say
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT PING: TDD (divine healing)

On 12/21/2013 12:57 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:
Christianity says God can heal people. Why he often doesn't, I don't
know. The times it has happened seem to be rare, and there is
unfortunately a lot of fakery. But those who want to spend the time
looking can find some of the genuine events. Or those who like me had
the good fortune to meet one or more of them.

As a Christian, I've met, talked with, been, and
been the priesthood holder who was of service to.

I won't go into specifics, cause it loses a lot in
type / text format. You had to be there.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2013 6:06 AM, dadiOH wrote:

My Win XP is OEM (unbranded). I've used it on at least two totally
different computers and don't recall having any problem. By "totally
different" I mean different mobo, RAM, HD...everything.

Unbranded = awesome.

'specially with serv 3

Ping Jim K Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 7 January 23rd 12 03:59 PM
Ping: Toy Larry Jaques[_4_] Woodworking 1 October 27th 11 03:55 AM
Fly by night PING PING Shopdog Woodworking 6 May 18th 06 04:08 AM
OT Ping JT Ed Ahern Woodworking 10 February 14th 06 09:56 PM
OT - Ping Cliff Metalworking 1 April 12th 05 07:20 PM