Posted to alt.home.repair
Wes Groleau[_2_] Wes Groleau[_2_] is offline

Default OT PING: TDD

On 12-20-2013, 15:28, Todd wrote:
1) go find someone with the proper disk and
borrow it. M$ does not care. They only care
if you have the proper license, which you do.

2) take the OEM disk you have and alter it to
what you need (on a new disk). I have done this
as I need to support multiple version of W7.
Again, M$ does not care. They only care if
you purchased a proper license.

If you a feeling lucky, I have the directions
for altering and creating new disks, which I can
send you. It is advanced user stuff though.

A lady in my church was having trouble with her
Win XP. She prefers Mac, so I offered to trade
her a Mac laptop for the XP box.

But since she has so much stuff in Microsoft Office,
and can't afford to buy Office 2011 for Mac, I tried
to install Win XP in a virtual machine on the Macbook.

First, I tried several times with an XP CD I got from
my MSDN subscription. Every time, it claimed the product
key from her CD was invalid. And most of the times (not all)
it failed on the second reboot, claiming that it could not
find a particular file. I think it was a DLL but I don't
remember for sure. Same file each time. When I located the
file myself and "helped" by brtowsing to it, it still said
it couldn't find it.

Finally, I got the CD from her. Verified that the key on
the COA was exactly what she told me. Installed several times
with that. Same behavior.

The times it DID appear to install correctly, tried the phone
activation route with Microsoft. Each time was told they could not help
and I should "return the CD to the store I bought it from."

If that store still exists, it is on the other side of the continent.

--
Wes Groleau

Trying to be happy is like trying to build a machine for which
the only specification is that it should run noiselessly.
€” unknown