Posted to alt.home.repair
Wes Groleau[_2_] Wes Groleau[_2_] is offline

Default OT PING: TDD

On 12-20-2013, 22:58, Todd wrote:
M$ is just being turds. They know XP hasn't been available
for years. They are the worst at customer service of
any company I have ever known.

Which Virtual Machine did you try? Parallels?

VirtualBox. I'm giving her the computer, but I'm not quite generous
enough to buy software for it. :-)

You may have to go borrow a friend's CD and burn your own
copy. Your copy may be damaged. M$ doesn't care as long
as you have the key.

I burned it from my MSDN ISO right before the attempt, and like I said,
her CD had the exact same behavior. SAME file that it "couldn't find."

I still put together customer machines with XP. I have to
use the downgrade rights for Windows 7 Pro. There are no
XP disks available.

Last time I was on MSDN, the ISOs were still available there.
I am in a different department at work now, so I no longer have the MSDN
license.

Also, Libre Office, although it can't print an envelope for its
life, does a reasonable job of importing M$ Office documents.
And they fix their bugs (except envelope printing).
You can save back to M$ format too, if that floats your boat.
http://libreoffice.org
runs on Linux, Windows, Mac. Easier than a Virtual Machine.

OOO is OK for folks like us. But like Linux, it's not something I would
push on non-technical types. AND, I disagree with "reasonable
job of importing M$ Office documents." If all you want is the words,
and screw the formatting, sure. "Reasonable" to me is a little better
than that. Apple's Pages does a better job. But again, I'm not quite
that generous.

Then again, I only tried it a few times. Maybe the fact that it sucked
every time was just coincidence.

--
Wes Groleau

Is it an on-line compliment to call someone a Net Wit ?