Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ignoring with Thunderbird

Anyone know how to put a user on ignore using Thunderbird newsgroup
client? By ignore, I mean not see their replies, posts, etc. similar to
how it was done with Outlook Express.

Thanks

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 8:08 AM, Meanie wrote:
Anyone know how to put a user on ignore using Thunderbird newsgroup
client? By ignore, I mean not see their replies, posts, etc. similar to
how it was done with Outlook Express.

Thanks

Very simple.

Bring up the message posted by the user you wish to filter (e.g.
yourapeong)

Right Click on the address in the From:

A drop box will open and one of the selections will be "Create Filter
From" Left click on that and do your thing. There are all kinds of
options you can use.

Some of them are quite fun and can be a bit nasty.g

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 8:08 AM, Meanie wrote:
Anyone know how to put a user on ignore using Thunderbird newsgroup
client? By ignore, I mean not see their replies, posts, etc. similar to
how it was done with Outlook Express.

Thanks

Personally I never killfile anyone but I've told a number of anti free
speech types and netcops to please killfile me. I'm using Thunderbird
24.2.0 and if you tell me which poster you wish to filter, I would be
glad to tell you the steps to take, even if you wished to filter out me. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 8:08 AM, Meanie wrote:
Anyone know how to put a user on ignore using Thunderbird newsgroup
client? By ignore, I mean not see their replies, posts, etc. similar to
how it was done with Outlook Express.

Thanks

Personally I never killfile anyone but I've told a number of anti free
speech types and netcops to please killfile me. I'm using Thunderbird
24.2.0 and if you tell me which poster you wish to filter, I would be
glad to tell you the steps to take, even if you wished to filter out me.
^_^

TDD

I kill-filed the loon that harasses you but when you respond to him I
see the responses. How can I k-f your responses without k-f'ing you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 12:39 PM, Frank wrote:
On 12/15/2013 8:08 AM, Meanie wrote:
Anyone know how to put a user on ignore using Thunderbird newsgroup
client? By ignore, I mean not see their replies, posts, etc. similar to
how it was done with Outlook Express.

Thanks

Personally I never killfile anyone but I've told a number of anti free
speech types and netcops to please killfile me. I'm using Thunderbird
24.2.0 and if you tell me which poster you wish to filter, I would be
glad to tell you the steps to take, even if you wished to filter out me.
^_^

TDD

I kill-filed the loon that harasses you but when you respond to him I
see the responses. How can I k-f your responses without k-f'ing you?

Messing with T-B, I see there is an ignore thread option that can also
be added.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 11:44 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

You can simply press "k" when you're in a thread and it will kill that
thread. I do that whenever I see a spammer, Arabic or other non English
writing. Try pressing "k" when you are on a thread that bothers you. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 8:08 AM, Meanie wrote:
Anyone know how to put a user on ignore using Thunderbird newsgroup
client? By ignore, I mean not see their replies, posts, etc. similar to
how it was done with Outlook Express.

Thanks

Personally I never killfile anyone but I've told a number of anti free
speech types and netcops to please killfile me. I'm using Thunderbird
24.2.0 and if you tell me which poster you wish to filter, I would be
glad to tell you the steps to take, even if you wished to filter out me.
^_^

TDD

People can be free to speak wherever they want (except on my property)
but I don't have to listen/read it. Therefore, I'll simply ignore them.

Yes, I also have 24.2.0 and no, it's not you. I've never seen a reason
to ignore you. On the other hand, there are some idiots who just don't
get it. Obviously, this is why they are idiots.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

You can simply press "k" when you're in a thread and it will kill that
thread. I do that whenever I see a spammer, Arabic or other non English
writing. Try pressing "k" when you are on a thread that bothers you. ^_^

TDD

I used to use T-bird. I made the mistake of upgrading and what was once a
great KF function, with many options, was gone.

O.E. used to have a good filter system. 2000 to XP transition version IIRC.

I still curse Google for starting the web-based crap. Well, easier access than
the AOL route that most could not fathom. I don't give a rip about binary groups
and I prefer a reader focused on text. All of the other news-readers do not
pull this off as readily as TB and OE.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Do that all the time but k-f'ing the thread should do what I want.
I'm sure if loon gets no response, he'll munge his address.
These folks thrive on responses, positive or negative.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 2:58 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

You can simply press "k" when you're in a thread and it will kill that
thread. I do that whenever I see a spammer, Arabic or other non English
writing. Try pressing "k" when you are on a thread that bothers you. ^_^

TDD

I used to use T-bird. I made the mistake of upgrading and what was once a
great KF function, with many options, was gone.

O.E. used to have a good filter system. 2000 to XP transition version
IIRC.

I still curse Google for starting the web-based crap. Well, easier
access than
the AOL route that most could not fathom. I don't give a rip about
binary groups
and I prefer a reader focused on text. All of the other news-readers do
not
pull this off as readily as TB and OE.

It's not as intuitive in T-B as it should be but appears to be there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 2:22 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Killer Loon is a well know nymshifter who has already changed its nym in
another group. If it sees it getting no response from one nym because
it's been killfiled, it changes its nym again to spew more calumny. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 1:45 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

The Killer Loon freak who followed me here from another group is using
part of my nym thinking it can somehow harm me but it's post count died
out in the other group so it has nymshifted again. I guess everyone has
figured out by now that Killer Loon is the progeny of a human female and
some sort of livestock so I suppose I'll stop hammering away at it. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 15:22:21 -0500, Frank
wrote:

I'm sure if loon gets no response, he'll munge his address.
These folks thrive on responses, positive or negative.

I posted he was a fake when it popped its head up here. Told people to
ignore it - for obvious reasons. Let the ass hole talk to itself?

The loon stalked TDD, followed him here and started ****.

This troll is not Home Guy, but some delirious individual in the
basement on the parents insurance plan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm sure if loon gets no response, he'll munge his address.
These folks thrive on responses, positive or negative.

I posted he was a fake when it popped its head up here. Told people to
ignore it - for obvious reasons. Let the ass hole talk to itself?

The loon stalked TDD, followed him here and started ****.

This troll is not Home Guy, but some delirious individual in the
basement on the parents insurance plan.

I suppose everyone has figured out what Killer Loon is by now so I
suppose I'll stop explaining its parentage was a coupling of a human
female with some sort of livestock. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm sure if loon gets no response, he'll munge his address.
These folks thrive on responses, positive or negative.

I posted he was a fake when it popped its head up here. Told people to
ignore it - for obvious reasons. Let the ass hole talk to itself?

The loon stalked TDD, followed him here and started ****.

This troll is not Home Guy, but some delirious individual in the
basement on the parents insurance plan.

I suppose everyone has figured out what Killer Loon is by now so I
suppose I'll stop explaining its parentage was a coupling of a human
female with some sort of livestock. ^_^

TDD

Jesus, Jose', and Maria! I saw it the first day it stuck its nose
under the tent here. Said so. He only trolls because she got 15
minutes of fame. Let the ******* rot and leave it alone.

You know that and we should not have to suggest it. Look at one group
this thing trolls in (you know) - ****ed up.

Grown adults miss a conversation because of the forked tongue.

--
"Trust me, I'm from the government. I'm here to help."

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

As was stated by Oren, it was obvious from day one who the troll is.
Some idiots simply have a deep void in their lives to fill. Gaining a
wee bit of attention in a newsgroup is apparently the best they can do
to satisfy their pathetic craving as I'm sure they are constantly shut
down in the real world.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can simply press "k" when you're in a thread and it will kill that
thread. I do that whenever I see a spammer, Arabic or other non English
writing. Try pressing "k" when you are on a thread that bothers you. ^_^

I love my my "k" key.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 9:08 AM, Meanie wrote:
Anyone know how to put a user on ignore using Thunderbird newsgroup
client? By ignore, I mean not see their replies, posts, etc. similar to
how it was done with Outlook Express.

Thanks

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast,

matey! ! Antivirus
protection is active.
http://www.yo-ho-ho-and-a-barrel-of-rum.com

Look for the triple equals sign in the upper right.
Hover.
Slide down.
Select message.
Slide down to the options at bottom of the new pop open.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

snip

Right Click on the address in the From:

A drop box will open and one of the selections will be "Create Filter
From" Left click on that and do your thing. There are all kinds of
options you can use.

One nice thing is that they finally added a "Run Now" option so you can
remove the headers even after they've been downloaded. For a long time
that was only available on Thunderbird e-mail.

The problem that remains is that there are people that feel compelled to
respond to the problem people so you often will still see the posts from
the problem people unless you also filter out the respondents.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 12/15/2013 9:39 AM, Frank wrote:

I kill-filed the loon that harasses you but when you respond to him I
see the responses. How can I k-f your responses without k-f'ing you?

That's the key problem. The solution is to control the urge to respond
to problem posters. Filter them out and be done with it. Since they
thrive on the attention they get by being obnoxious it's better to
filter them than to respond anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-15-2013, 21:03, SMS wrote:
One nice thing is that they finally added a "Run Now" option so you can
remove the headers even after they've been downloaded. For a long time
that was only available on Thunderbird e-mail.

It's been on the menu for many versions.
But I have never seen it actually DO anything.

--
Wes Groleau

Daily Hoax: http://www.snopes2.com/cgi-bin/random/random.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-15-2013, 12:44, Frank wrote:
[...]

Even better, "ignore subthread"

--
Wes Groleau

Promote multi-use trails in northeast Indiana!
http://www.NorthwestAllenTrails.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-15-2013, 14:07, The Daring Dufas wrote:
You can simply press "k" when you're in a thread and it will kill
that thread. I do that whenever I see a spammer, Arabic or other non English
writing. Try pressing "k" when you are on a thread that bothers you. ^_^

Unfortunately, that function is mislabeled. It acts on all posts in the
thread AT THE TIME. If anyone posts in the thread after you exit,
you'll see those posts when you run TB again.

But the "ignore thread/subthread" in the filters are actually persistent.

--
Wes Groleau

Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns
it, and finds himself no wiser than before ... He is full of
murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having
come by their ignorance the hard way.
€” Kurt Vonnegut

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 12/15/2013 10:12 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 12-15-2013, 21:03, SMS wrote:
One nice thing is that they finally added a "Run Now" option so you can
remove the headers even after they've been downloaded. For a long time
that was only available on Thunderbird e-mail.

It's been on the menu for many versions.
But I have never seen it actually DO anything.

It works for me. The headers of the problem posters are deleted.
Sometimes it takes a few repeated attempts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2013 12:12 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 12-15-2013, 12:44, Frank wrote:

Even better, "ignore subthread"

I have been playing with T-Bird for a bit. The usual learning curve is
in effect. One thing that would be nice is to have a KF button and a
refresh folder button.

I was messing around with a few different news readers a few years back
and there was one that had a PLONK button. That was awesome. Too bad
the program was primarily for binary groups and did not function well
for convenient reading. I guess I am spoiled, but I like to
double-click the first message and then just arrow through, marking
unread those which I choose to respond to.

With OE and Live, when I am done with the group, hitting the F5 or the
refresh option from the menu clears all of the read messages and
downloads anything new.

Now, to fix the limit characters thing while typing a response.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2013 12:37 AM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

Now, to fix the limit characters thing while typing a response.

Hmm, it would appear that the auto-wrap feature for T-Bird is
not obviously adjustable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

But I must poke them with a sharp stick every now and then. I'm not
going to hammer on Killer Loon anymore because when it realizes that
it's getting no response from anyone, it will go away. I am wondering
how long it will hang around and how long before it nymshifts again like
it has already done in the other group? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2013 6:21 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

Killer Loon is one of those bizarre Leftist freaks who's mind is ruled
by emotion instead of rationality. By design, everything it does is
irrational. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

But I must poke them with a sharp stick every now and then. I'm not
going to hammer on Killer Loon anymore because when it realizes that
it's getting no response from anyone, it will go away. I am wondering
how long it will hang around and how long before it nymshifts again like
it has already done in the other group? ^_^

TDD

Might have already happened.

Hey, if you add "KILLER LOON" at the end of the
subject line, we gentle readers can set up a
mail rule, and not have to read the replies.
Just a thought.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:22:21 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

[...]

Awe Poor boo boo
Jest tell congress to ban the first amendment except for football, church and anyother non spiritual cult authorized digital signals.
Violently overthrow the US government.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-15-2013, 21:03, SMS wrote:
One nice thing is that they finally added a "Run Now" option so you can
remove the headers even after they've been downloaded. For a long time
that was only available on Thunderbird e-mail.

It's been on the menu for many versions.
But I have never seen it actually DO anything.

It works for me. The headers of the problem posters are deleted.
Sometimes it takes a few repeated attempts.

Interesting. It has never done anything I could detect on any machine
I've used. Mac and Windows both, several versions of each.
Weird.

--
Wes Groleau

He that is good for making excuses, is seldom good for anything else.
€” Benjamin Franklin

Posted to alt.home.repair

Interesting. It has never done anything I could detect on any machine
I've used. Mac and Windows both, several versions of each.
Weird.

Seems to do nothing here as well... (Mac running Mavericks.)

But must admit, I'm still coming up to speed with Thunderbird. I'm one
of the ones 'left in the cold' by the loss of MT Newswatcher.

Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2013 10:03 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

Interesting. It has never done anything I could detect on any machine
I've used. Mac and Windows both, several versions of each.
Weird.

Seems to be a quirk of TB. I do believe that (provided you have a
filter set up for the group) after selecting a group, pressing "R"
will run the filters for that group. I have had mixed results
trying anything else, though I cannot state that I have a very long
period of time using the current version (around 24 hours since
install). It appears that the hot keys and menu selections are
sensitive to what part of the window is in focus.

I am still wondering if there is a way to change the automatic word
wrap, or, to be more precise, the character length before the wrap
occurs.

OT Thunderbird Another Dave UK diy 12 January 10th 12 09:29 PM
Eon Energy: estimated readings on price rise date, ignoring customerreading Allan UK diy 12 May 7th 11 06:20 PM
Shame: Ignoring Death Threats to Wisconsin Politicians Is Media Bias Larry Jaques[_3_] Metalworking 19 March 22nd 11 11:45 PM
What the media is ignoring in Japan rangerssuck Metalworking 14 March 16th 11 02:16 PM
OT - Anyone using Thunderbird with XP? NoOne N Particular Metalworking 6 November 16th 07 12:02 AM