Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What the media is ignoring in Japan

Folks, I have studied this situation very carefully. I have been
watching it closely since the late 1950s, and we have a "Perfect
Storm" of disaster brewing. This is not a left-wing issue. It is not a
right-wing issue. It is a world issue.

A large earthquake off the coast of Japan
A large Tsunami (though back in the day, we called them "tidal waves")
A leak of atomic energy from a nuclear reactor

Add all of those together, and you can only end up with one scenario.
Mark my wors - you heard it here on rcm first. Within the next week,
we'll be seeong the return of none other than,,,

GODZILLA

This will be accompanied by large portions of the Japanese people
moving their mouths out of sychronization with their voices.

Raymond Burr has been notified,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
Folks, I have studied this situation very carefully. I have been
watching it closely since the late 1950s, and we have a "Perfect
Storm" of disaster brewing. This is not a left-wing issue. It is not a
right-wing issue. It is a world issue.

A large earthquake off the coast of Japan
A large Tsunami (though back in the day, we called them "tidal waves")
A leak of atomic energy from a nuclear reactor

Add all of those together, and you can only end up with one scenario.
Mark my wors - you heard it here on rcm first. Within the next week,
we'll be seeong the return of none other than,,,

GODZILLA

This will be accompanied by large portions of the Japanese people
moving their mouths out of sychronization with their voices.

Raymond Burr has been notified,\

You're going to have a fight over that theory with the folks from the
Westboro Baptist Church. They're probably painting signs right
now...something about Jap Faggots....

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 13:56:04 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

Add all of those together, and you can only end up with one scenario.
Mark my wors - you heard it here on rcm first. Within the next week,
we'll be seeong the return of none other than,,,

GODZILLA

I believe you are correct. The radioactive discharge from the failed
nuke plants will melt the giant ice cube that Godzilla is frozen in at
the bottom of the Pacific Ocean and he will soon appear to wreak
vengeance upon the nation that has disturbed his slumber.

The entire USS Ronald Reagan carrier battle group has turned and run
away like a little bitch dog with its tail between its legs based upon
some superfluous story of radioactive contamination in the area.

Why?

Because the US Navy is entirely aware that a full nuclear carrier
battle group cannot defeat GODZILLA!!!! I've seen this fact proven on
any number of late night cinematic documentaries I've seen on the
subject of fighting off a GODZILLA attack.

Pronounce this:
Gah-Gee-Ah Ga Kee-Tah

Now you can say: "Look out!! Here comes Godzilla!!!" in Japanese.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
Folks, I have studied this situation very carefully. I have been
watching it closely since the late 1950s, and we have a "Perfect
Storm" of disaster brewing. This is not a left-wing issue. It is not a
right-wing issue. It is a world issue.

A large earthquake off the coast of Japan
A large Tsunami (though back in the day, we called them "tidal waves")
A leak of atomic energy from a nuclear reactor

Add all of those together, and you can only end up with one scenario.
Mark my wors - you heard it here on rcm first. Within the next week,
we'll be seeong the return of none other than,,,

GODZILLA

This will be accompanied by large portions of the Japanese people
moving their mouths out of sychronization with their voices.

Raymond Burr has been notified,

GREAT SCOTT!!! YOU'RE RIGHT.
Quick, somebody call MOTHRA.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

[...]

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...er=rss&emc=rss

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
[...]

http://images.wikia.com/godzilla/ima...6/Mothra-9.jpg

Look at Godzilla back away when he's faced with Mothra!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 20:46:59 -0700, Beryl wrote:

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
GREAT SCOTT!!! YOU'RE RIGHT.
Quick, somebody call MOTHRA.
Paul K. Dickman

http://images.wikia.com/godzilla/ima...6/Mothra-9.jpg

Look at Godzilla back away when he's faced with Mothra!

That is a classic movie. I have it (Engrish dubbed) somewhere around
here. It has the two little Japanese fairy girls that come and plead
with the Japanese to return the egg. It's a cheese burger deluxe.

Man in rubber suit Godzilla was the best movie monster ever...until
1998 when they screwed up and made computer graphics Godzilla. Without
the cheese factor of having the man in a rubber suit trashing miniture
models of cities.....well....Godzilla isn't really Godzilla. The
cheese makes the franchise.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
GREAT SCOTT!!! YOU'RE RIGHT.
Quick, somebody call MOTHRA.
Paul K. Dickman

http://images.wikia.com/godzilla/ima...6/Mothra-9.jpg

Look at Godzilla back away when he's faced with Mothra!

That is a classic movie. I have it (Engrish dubbed) somewhere around
here. It has the two little Japanese fairy girls that come and plead
with the Japanese to return the egg. It's a cheese burger deluxe.

Man in rubber suit Godzilla was the best movie monster ever...until
1998 when they screwed up and made computer graphics Godzilla. Without
the cheese factor of having the man in a rubber suit trashing miniture
models of cities.....well....Godzilla isn't really Godzilla. The
cheese makes the franchise.
Dave

What the producers of that newer Godzilla completely missed was that in most
the movies Godzilla was actually the hero not the villian. In fact Godzilla
was a metaphor for the Japanese view of the U.S. after the war; An immensly
powerful but clumsy beast who causes a lot of destruction but really has a
heart of gold. He ends up saving Japan from some larger evil and then
retreats into the ocean.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:40:34 -0700, "anorton"
wrote:

What the producers of that newer Godzilla completely missed was that in most
the movies Godzilla was actually the hero not the villian. In fact Godzilla
was a metaphor for the Japanese view of the U.S. after the war; An immensly
powerful but clumsy beast who causes a lot of destruction but really has a
heart of gold. He ends up saving Japan from some larger evil and then
retreats into the ocean.

Exactly. Godzilla started his movie career as a total bad guy, but
then far more evil monsters, such as Rodan and Mechagodzilla, showed
up and Godzilla became a hero. The 1998 computer graphics Godzilla was
evil all over again, had no lovable cheese factor, and was totally out
of character for the franchise. Godzilla's roar didn't even sound like
Godzilla. Good scenes of stomping cars and stuff though.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
[...]

Doesn't anybody remember Rodan?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Paul K. Dickman wrote:
[...]

Godzilla, Anguirus, Mothra, King Ghidorah, Kamacuras, Gorosaurus,
Jet-Jaguar, King Caesar, MechaGodzilla, Destroyah, Meganulon, Hedorah,
Monster X are all ones I remember.

King Kong, Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan are ones I recall having there own
movies with no other monsters.
Probably a bunch more that I don't recall.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Paul K. Dickman wrote:
[...]

OK, given that the original Rodan came out in 1956, when I was seven, I
was very, very impressed - he was seen flying over 35,000 feet at supersonic
speed - so, here's a question: Is it theoretically possible, given
infinitely strong materials and infinite strength, would it be even
theoretically possible to fly supersonically by flapping one's wings?

I remember one famous line - the Japan Air Force guys are looking at
movies or radar traces or something, and one of the guys says, "... that
big - could it fly?" (even at seven years old, I thought, "Well, duh, of
course it can fly - we can see it flying right here!") Rodan had just
knocked a jet fighter out of the air, and the only thing left was the
pilot's helmet, with a streak of blood in the middle of the forehead.

Wiki has a lot more about Rodan than what I remember; I don't remember
Rodan ever encountering Godzilla.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Steve W. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Paul K. Dickman wrote:
[...]

The problem there is that in the movie the only time the Rodans actually
flap much is when they initially take off and when they are destroying
objects on the ground. In the air they just seemed to be gliding and
banking.

However a couple of Falcon species have been clocked at 150-160 mph
while in a dive.
The Rodan body is much more streamlined and has a much greater wingspan,
however the wings also don't look very aerodynamic.
(Yep I have the DVD in front of me!)

I remember one famous line - the Japan Air Force guys are looking at
movies or radar traces or something, and one of the guys says, "...
that big - could it fly?" (even at seven years old, I thought,
"Well, duh, of course it can fly - we can see it flying right here!")
Rodan had just knocked a jet fighter out of the air, and the only
thing left was the pilot's helmet, with a streak of blood in the
middle of the forehead.

Wiki has a lot more about Rodan than what I remember; I don't
remember Rodan ever encountering Godzilla.

Cheers! Rich

The ending of the Rodan movie I have shows them dying in a volcano. But
I think it was "Destroy all Monsters" that showed at least one still
alive on monster island.

I had one playing a while ago and my nephew complained about "how bad
the computer graphics" were. Tying to explain things like claymation and
animatronics as well as forced perspectives and model shooting to
someone who has only seen CGI stuff for the most part was interesting.

I will say that some of the stuff they came up with for weapons and
models of them were interesting. Those big laser and maser dish weapons
are rather strange....

--
Steve W.