Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Trip to Japan

There's a 50-50 chance I'll be going to Japna this spring. If I do,
where do I go to find the world class chisels and knives? I just
thumbed through Lonely Planet (and the index, too) and didn't see any
mention....

Cheers and TIA.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Couldn't tell you now. About twenty five years ago, a little shop just down
the road from my house, in Sagamihara, had or could get, about anything you
could want. Couldn't tell you how to get there but I could show you. Buy me
a ticket?

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
There's a 50-50 chance I'll be going to Japna this spring. If I do,
where do I go to find the world class chisels and knives? I just
thumbed through Lonely Planet (and the index, too) and didn't see any
mention....

Cheers and TIA.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:43:59 -0800, Never Enough Money wrote:

There's a 50-50 chance I'll be going to Japna this spring. If I do,
where do I go to find the world class chisels and knives? I just
thumbed through Lonely Planet (and the index, too) and didn't see any
mention....

Cheers and TIA.

There is some culture centers and the like in Japan. If you are near one
you could stop in and ask them about places to purchase. The will probably
know about local tool makers and where to obtain their tools.

Paul T.

http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
There's a 50-50 chance I'll be going to Japna this spring. If I

do,
where do I go to find the world class chisels and knives? I

just
thumbed through Lonely Planet (and the index, too) and didn't

see any
mention....

Cheers and TIA.

Partly it depends on where in Japan you're going.

For the most part, you're not going to find anything resembling a
BORG type store. The closest you might come to that would be
along the Ginza In Tokyo. Mostly what you'll find are "Mom & Pop"
type hardware stores, especially outside of Tokyo.

Your best bet is to get a decent translator's help in locating a
good Tansu Shokunin (Japanese storage chest/cabinet craftsman)
and respectfully request his assistance in locating quality
tools. You could also try a respected local carpenter (Daiku),
but the tool set (but not necessarily the quality of the tools)
will be a bit different. Shoji makers generally use high quality
tools, but their's tend to be more specialized.

The generic word for chisel, the tool as opposed to cheating
someone, is
"nomi" (no - mee). Of course nothing's ever that simple. Specific
types of chisels have their own names, in some cases different
names for the same chisel depending on the craft they are used
in.

There are a few good, and a host of junk, books out there on
Japanese woodworking tools and their terminology. A couple of
good ones available from Amazon.com a

"Complete Japanese Joinery: A Handbook of Japanese Tool Use and
Woodworking for Joiners and Carpenters", ISBN: 0881791210

and

"Japanese Woodworking Tools: Their Tradition, Spirit, and Use",
ISBN: 0941936465

They are a good way to learn the correct names of the various
edged tools.

Oh! Almost forgot, you may hear references to "blue steel" and
"white steel". Those terms have nothing to do with the color of
steel. They refer to the color of the labels by various
manufacturers, and by some manufacturers on different product
lines.

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

Never Enough Money wrote:
There's a 50-50 chance I'll be going to Japna this spring. If I do,
where do I go to find the world class chisels and knives? I just
thumbed through Lonely Planet (and the index, too) and didn't see any
mention....

Depends on where in Japan you're going. I liked this place in Osaka

http://homepage2.nifty.com/togi/index.htm

I've also heard that there are a lot of woodworking tools available in
the Akasaka area from some Tokyo natives, but I don't get to Tokyo
much.

Brian Huffaker, DSWL

Posted to rec.woodworking

Brian and Len, I can go where ever I want. The details of the trip
have not been planned. TThanks for the tips, though.

On Jan 30, 11:54 am, Brian Huffaker
wrote:
Never Enough Money wrote:

There's a 50-50 chance I'll be going to Japna this spring. If I do,
where do I go to find the world class chisels and knives? I just
thumbed through Lonely Planet (and the index, too) and didn't see any
mention....

Depends on where in Japan you're going. I liked this place in Osaka

http://homepage2.nifty.com/togi/index.htm

I've also heard that there are a lot of woodworking tools available in
the Akasaka area from some Tokyo natives, but I don't get to Tokyo
much.

Brian Huffaker, DSWL

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
Never Enough Money wrote:

There's a 50-50 chance I'll be going to Japna this spring. If I do,
where do I go to find the world class chisels and knives? I just
thumbed through Lonely Planet (and the index, too) and didn't see any
mention....

Cheers and TIA.

In Tokyo the easiest (but not cheapest) is to go to Tokyo Hands in
Shibuya or Ikibukuro they will speak English but will have a small
Selection
http://www.tokyu-hands.co.jp/index.htm (Japanese)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyu_Hands

However Joyful Honda has a much bigger selection byt speak little
English
The biggest near Tokyo is at Chiba New Town
http://www.joyfulhonda.com/map/map-chibant01.htm

Under toy will find some information from another Tokyo resident
http://www.joyfulhonda.com/map/map-moriya.htm
http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/joyful.htm

--
only replies to the news group please
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tokyu Hands is great, but it's really a hobby store on steroids. They have
a decent selection of chisels and other tools (and knives), but I'd guess
that they're more the consumer or hobbyist grade. That's about all I could
afford, but I've still retired most of my western hand tools for them.

If you'll be in the Tokyo area, there's a good hardware store in Sagamiono
about a mile from the station. I don't know the street name, but I could
get there from here. There's also a neat mom and pop in Tsuruma about 4
blocks from the station. I picked up a shoulder plane and a saw there last
trip, and they gave me a canvas tool bag the first time I was there. Again,
I couldn't really give directions, but if you spring for a ticket I'd be
glad to show you. Bring my wife and kids with, and we'd have a translator.
Or wait until this summer, when we go back.

There's a cool knife store in Machida, just off the train station. Cheaper
than the larger stores, and they have the long sashimi knives that SWMBO
won't let me buy. There's a Tokyu Hands in Machida too, along with
everything else you might want. Everything...

-MJ

"SCUBA Bookreader" wrote in message
In article .com,
Never Enough Money wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Call either the Japan Woodworker in Alameda Ca or
Hida Tools in Berkley, CA and ask to speak
to the owner. I bet they can help you.

You might have to convince them that you're not
out to start another Japanese woodworker store, tho!

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 29, 6:43 pm, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:
There's a 50-50 chance I'll be going to Japna this spring. If I do,
where do I go to find the world class chisels and knives? I just
thumbed through Lonely Planet (and the index, too) and didn't see any
mention....

Cheers and TIA.

I lived in Japan for 2 years. If I were going to Japan for a visit,
I'd spend my time sightseeing instead of looking for tools. The
language barrier constantly works against you. You'll be able to make
them understand that you want a chisel. Beyond that, communication is
difficult. Good tools aren't cheap over there either. Taxi fare
alone may eat any savings. Do your shopping with a reliable stateside
vendor by internet or catalog and enjoy your trip.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
There's a 50-50 chance I'll be going to Japna this spring. If I do,
where do I go to find the world class chisels and knives? I just
thumbed through Lonely Planet (and the index, too) and didn't see any
mention....

Cheers and TIA.

I lived in Japan for 2 years. If I were going to Japan for a visit,
I'd spend my time sightseeing instead of looking for tools. The
language barrier constantly works against you. You'll be able to make
them understand that you want a chisel. Beyond that, communication is
difficult. Good tools aren't cheap over there either. Taxi fare
alone may eat any savings. Do your shopping with a reliable stateside
vendor by internet or catalog and enjoy your trip.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle

As for the language barrier, three words went a long way when I was
there 20 years ago. "Domo origato" = Thank you very much. (or "domo"
for "thanks") but formal is better. "Doy tosha mo-sho" is "you're
welcome". I have forgotten what "please" was (Google it maybe). But if
you can master those, the Japanese are a very polite society and simple
courtesy will serve you well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

While they'll go a long way, they won't get what kind of chisel you
want across to the chiselmeister.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Never Enough Money wrote:
There's a 50-50 chance I'll be going to Japna this spring. If I do,
where do I go to find the world class chisels and knives? I just
thumbed through Lonely Planet (and the index, too) and didn't see any
mention....

Cheers and TIA.

Just on the off chance that you aren't entirely fluent with the
language, I'd like to suggest that you print out some pix of what you
are hoping to buy.

Bill

rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)