Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Johnson Mark Johnson is offline

Default Trip to Japan

Tokyu Hands is great, but it's really a hobby store on steroids. They have
a decent selection of chisels and other tools (and knives), but I'd guess
that they're more the consumer or hobbyist grade. That's about all I could
afford, but I've still retired most of my western hand tools for them.

If you'll be in the Tokyo area, there's a good hardware store in Sagamiono
about a mile from the station. I don't know the street name, but I could
get there from here. There's also a neat mom and pop in Tsuruma about 4
blocks from the station. I picked up a shoulder plane and a saw there last
trip, and they gave me a canvas tool bag the first time I was there. Again,
I couldn't really give directions, but if you spring for a ticket I'd be
glad to show you. Bring my wife and kids with, and we'd have a translator.
Or wait until this summer, when we go back.

There's a cool knife store in Machida, just off the train station. Cheaper
than the larger stores, and they have the long sashimi knives that SWMBO
won't let me buy. There's a Tokyu Hands in Machida too, along with
everything else you might want. Everything...

-MJ

"SCUBA Bookreader" wrote in message
In article .com,
Never Enough Money wrote:

There's a 50-50 chance I'll be going to Japna this spring. If I do,
where do I go to find the world class chisels and knives? I just
thumbed through Lonely Planet (and the index, too) and didn't see any
mention....

Cheers and TIA.

In Tokyo the easiest (but not cheapest) is to go to Tokyo Hands in
Shibuya or Ikibukuro they will speak English but will have a small
Selection
http://www.tokyu-hands.co.jp/index.htm (Japanese)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyu_Hands

However Joyful Honda has a much bigger selection byt speak little
English
The biggest near Tokyo is at Chiba New Town
http://www.joyfulhonda.com/map/map-chibant01.htm

Under toy will find some information from another Tokyo resident
http://www.joyfulhonda.com/map/map-moriya.htm
http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/joyful.htm

--
only replies to the news group please