Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

Default Nearly three feet

I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 14:51:11 -0800, Daniel Prince
wrote:

I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

I think you're trolling.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote in
:

I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

I think they should list the tool's length as being "nearly one arshin".

An arshin is a old Russian measurement equal to 28", so they'd be less
mendacious than they seem now.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

The tool is made in a country where the people's feet are much smaller
than American feet.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2013 4:51 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

Actually, they underestimated it. 28" down, 28" up, and 28" out would be
7 feet! You got a bargain so don't complain.:-)

Don

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/13 7:22 PM, IGot2P wrote:
On 11/3/2013 4:51 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

Actually, they underestimated it. 28" down, 28" up, and 28" out would be
7 feet! You got a bargain so don't complain.:-)

Don

Times 3. That was 21 way back when I was in school.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2013 8:22 PM, IGot2P wrote:

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

Actually, they underestimated it. 28" down, 28" up, and 28" out would be
7 feet! You got a bargain so don't complain.:-)

Don

Your three posts bring it to 21 feet!
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2013 5:51 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

Sounds reasonable. They should probably just list the length.

--
Jeff

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2013 7:43 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/3/13 7:22 PM, IGot2P wrote:
On 11/3/2013 4:51 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

Actually, they underestimated it. 28" down, 28" up, and 28" out would be
7 feet! You got a bargain so don't complain.:-)

Don

Times 3. That was 21 way back when I was in school.

There could be more of the same coming because it keeps telling me that
the server could not be reached thus it was not sent...see what happens
with this one. Heck, it could be 42 feet once they all get there!

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/13 8:35 PM, IGot2P wrote:

Times 3. That was 21 way back when I was in school.

There could be more of the same coming because it keeps telling me that
the server could not be reached thus it was not sent...see what happens
with this one. Heck, it could be 42 feet once they all get there!

I got the same thing for a few minutes. My settings were
supposedly wrong although I haven't changed anything for almost a year.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2013 8:45 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/3/13 8:35 PM, IGot2P wrote:

Times 3. That was 21 way back when I was in school.

There could be more of the same coming because it keeps telling me that
the server could not be reached thus it was not sent...see what happens
with this one. Heck, it could be 42 feet once they all get there!

I got the same thing for a few minutes. My settings were
supposedly wrong although I haven't changed anything for almost a year.

I think sometimes posting using aioe.org that issue happens. It may
have nothing to do with your settings at all.

--
Jenn
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/13 8:35 PM, IGot2P wrote:

Times 3. That was 21 way back when I was in school.

There could be more of the same coming because it keeps telling me that
the server could not be reached thus it was not sent...see what happens
with this one. Heck, it could be 42 feet once they all get there!

I got the same thing for a few minutes. My settings were
supposedly wrong although I haven't changed anything for almost a year.

I think sometimes posting using aioe.org that issue happens. It may
have nothing to do with your settings at all.

Well, no matter what the problem was that Harbor Freight Grabber got out
there a lot further that was expected...think I will buy one. :-)

Don

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/13 8:35 PM, IGot2P wrote:

Times 3. That was 21 way back when I was in school.

There could be more of the same coming because it keeps telling me that
the server could not be reached thus it was not sent...see what happens
with this one. Heck, it could be 42 feet once they all get there!

I got the same thing for a few minutes. My settings were
supposedly wrong although I haven't changed anything for almost a year.

I think sometimes posting using aioe.org that issue happens. It may
have nothing to do with your settings at all.

Well, no matter what the problem was that Harbor Freight Grabber got out
there a lot further that was expected...think I will buy one. :-)

We have one of those Harbor Freight grabbers, too. Recently, I
purchases some solar string lights for the yard at HF.

--
Jenn

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
seconds to several minutes. His favorite are the ones that
rattle. He'll play with any ball that makes noise.

I still think you should quit kicking your cat's balls. That's gotta'
hurt!
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/13 8:35 PM, IGot2P wrote:

Times 3. That was 21 way back when I was in school.

There could be more of the same coming because it keeps telling me that
the server could not be reached thus it was not sent...see what happens
with this one. Heck, it could be 42 feet once they all get there!

I got the same thing for a few minutes. My settings were
supposedly wrong although I haven't changed anything for almost a year.

I think sometimes posting using aioe.org that issue happens. It may
have nothing to do with your settings at all.

Well, no matter what the problem was that Harbor Freight Grabber got out
there a lot further that was expected...think I will buy one. :-)

Don't, if it's that blue plastic one. I bought one. There are better
ones available.

I use one - a better one, now - when I pick up the fallen branches,
pine cones, and potato plants from my yard before mowing the grass. It
saves bending over multiple times.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/03/13 06:49 pm, Tony Cooper wrote:

I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

The tool is made in a country where the people's feet are much smaller
than American feet.

But the "Chinese foot" measure is actually 1.094ft.

Perce
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/13 8:35 PM, IGot2P wrote:

[...]

Actually, I already have a decent "grabber" but rarely use it. Now tell
us all what the heck potato plants are doing in your yard.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 14:51:11 -0800, Daniel Prince wrote:

I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

28 inches is nearer two feet than three. I agree with your
conclusion.

But I don't agree with your 90% reasoning. 90% of a mile could be
described as "nearly a mile", but I don't think 90% of 36 inches
could be described as "nearly 36 inches". "Nearly", to me, implies
that the actual measurement is close to the stated measurement AND
closer than to the next convenient division either way.

In other words, "nearly a yard", "nearly three feet", and "nearly 36
inches" are not the same measurement to me. They admit of
progressively less deviation from the exact measurement.

--
"The difference between the /almost right/ word and the /right/ word
is ... the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 19:22:58 -0600, IGot2P wrote:

Actually, they underestimated it. 28" down, 28" up, and 28" out would be
7 feet! You got a bargain so don't complain.:-)

Don

"If I tell you three times, it must be true"?

--
"The difference between the /almost right/ word and the /right/ word
is ... the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."
--Mark Twain
Stan Brown, Tompkins County, NY, USA http://OakRoadSystems.com
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 00:02:32 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 11/03/13 06:49 pm, Tony Cooper wrote:

I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

The tool is made in a country where the people's feet are much smaller
than American feet.

But the "Chinese foot" measure is actually 1.094ft.

You have obviously not purchased shoes made in certain countries
recently. If you take a size 9 in an American shoe, you will need a
size 10 or 10.5. Obviously, this is because the maker's feet were
smaller. Their lasts are based on their feet.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/13 8:35 PM, IGot2P wrote:

[...]

The "air potato" is one of the most invasive plants found in Florida.
The vine grows up on and strangles every tree that it is near. The
vine grows very rapidly.

It produces tubers that resemble potatoes. These fall to the ground
and start a new plant. I have pick up literally hundreds from the
yard in a year's time because I have a wooded area that's part of the
property.

This is what I pick up:

http://www.millerlegg.com/images/abo...otatoraid2.jpg
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 00:24:00 -0500, Stan Brown
wrote:

[...]

Just for S&G, I measured the one I purchased from Harbor Freight. It
is labeled as a 36" grabber, and it is 36" in length, but the distance
between my thumb and the tip is 32" when I hold it. It extends my
grasp about 30" since the last 2" are the gripping part.

All I can assume about the OP's claim of 28" is that he must have
extraordinarily long thumbs. He really doesn't need a grabber; he
could pick up things from the ground without even stooping over.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/13 8:35 PM, IGot2P wrote:

[...]

Very interesting, I am in Naples part of each winter and have never
encountered such things. Maybe they are not as common that far south.
Thanks for the education.

Don

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/13 8:35 PM, IGot2P wrote:

[...]

You probably saw them, but didn't know what you were seeing. What you
saw was just greenery. You didn't see that there was a tree dying
under that vine.

They are a problem in Naples.
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/...r-potato-9697/

You thought I was exaggerating when I said I pick up hundreds. I
wasn't. This article states that the members of this Naples golf
course picked up 200 on one day, and a golf course is mostly fairway.
I know, I live on one.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My feet seem to have kept growing.

From ages 13-30 I used to take size 8.

Now only size 11 will do.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

Default A year's time

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 00:35:37 -0500, Tony Cooper
wrote:

It produces tubers that resemble potatoes. These fall to the ground
and start a new plant. I have pick up literally hundreds from the
yard in a year's time because I have a wooded area that's part of the
property.

To me, "a year's time" means 4 Nov 2014.

But you used the present tense, suggesting that you are picking them up now,
rather than in a year's time.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On 11/04/2013 12:35 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
The "air potato" is one of the most invasive plants found in Florida.
The vine grows up on and strangles every tree that it is near. The
vine grows very rapidly.

Their Toobers our not to bad if you salt pepper them in 1/4 inch" slices and fry in Olive oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It produces tubers that resemble potatoes. These fall to the ground
and start a new plant. I have pick up literally hundreds from the
yard in a year's time because I have a wooded area that's part of the
property.

To me, "a year's time" means 4 Nov 2014.

But you used the present tense, suggesting that you are picking them up now,
rather than in a year's time.

I think he meant "over" a year's time. Good thing we have the Grammar
Police here huh?

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

Dan,

I think that you should not buy it.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
seconds to several minutes. His favorite are the ones that
rattle. He'll play with any ball that makes noise.

Sounds like a girl I dated in High school.......
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 2013-11-04, tom wrote:

On 11/04/2013 12:35 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
The "air potato" is one of the most invasive plants found in Florida.
The vine grows up on and strangles every tree that it is near. The
vine grows very rapidly.

Their Toobers our not to bad if you salt pepper them in 1/4 inch" slices and fry in Olive oil.

AIUI, the ones growing wild in Florida are considered toxic.

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/133

--
If hard data were the filtering criterion you could fit the entire
contents of the Internet on a floppy disk. --- Cecil Adams
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 2013-11-04, Tony Cooper wrote:

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 23:03:22 -0600, IGot2P wrote:

Actually, I already have a decent "grabber" but rarely use it. Now tell
us all what the heck potato plants are doing in your yard.

The "air potato" is one of the most invasive plants found in Florida.
The vine grows up on and strangles every tree that it is near. The
vine grows very rapidly.

It produces tubers that resemble potatoes. These fall to the ground
and start a new plant. I have pick up literally hundreds from the
yard in a year's time because I have a wooded area that's part of the
property.

I don't think I'd heard of that plant until today. I giggled a little
because it reminded me of "air biscuit".

--
Most Americans are too civilized to hang skulls from baskets, having
been headhunters, of course, only as recently as Vietnam.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 14:00:33 +0000, Adam Funk

On 2013-11-04, Tony Cooper wrote:

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 23:03:22 -0600, IGot2P wrote:

Actually, I already have a decent "grabber" but rarely use it. Now tell
us all what the heck potato plants are doing in your yard.

The "air potato" is one of the most invasive plants found in Florida.
The vine grows up on and strangles every tree that it is near. The
vine grows very rapidly.

It produces tubers that resemble potatoes. These fall to the ground
and start a new plant. I have pick up literally hundreds from the
yard in a year's time because I have a wooded area that's part of the
property.

I don't think I'd heard of that plant until today. I giggled a little
because it reminded me of "air biscuit".

It's Florida's version of Kudzu.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

David L. Martel wrote:
Dan,

I think that you should not buy it.

Dave M.

Only one review and that is a 5 star.
"I have purchase this again and again".
That's says it all. Maybe he'll get one that works next time.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

woodchucker wrote:
On 11/3/2013 5:51 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

Sounds reasonable. They should probably just list the length.

I think that's what they measured. From tip to tip is nearly 3 feet.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 2013-11-04, Tony Cooper wrote:

The "air potato" is one of the most invasive plants found in Florida.
The vine grows up on and strangles every tree that it is near. The
vine grows very rapidly.

It produces tubers that resemble potatoes. These fall to the ground
and start a new plant. I have pick up literally hundreds from the
yard in a year's time because I have a wooded area that's part of the
property.

I don't think I'd heard of that plant until today. I giggled a little
because it reminded me of "air biscuit".

It's Florida's version of Kudzu.

I thought Florida had actual kudzu.

--
Disagreeing with Donald Rumsfeld about bombing anybody who gets in our
way is not a crime in this country. It is a wise and honorable idea
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Which countries do you have in mind?

Based on the info at
http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_shoes_mens.htm

I can't see any shoe size measurement systems that
fit your description.

Inexpensive imported shoes are typically made to American
specs and labeled with American shoes sizes. I don't rule
out occasional snafus but systematic size-label error is
very rare.

Tak
Tak To x
--------------------------------------------------------------------^^
[taode takto ~{LU5B~}] NB: trim the xx to get my real email addr

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2013 4:51 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

I think you're the reason the Foot Long Hot Dog stands at the fair now
have
"About a" in parentheses before their name.

Garage height...8 feet or 10 feet? [email protected] Home Repair 40 October 5th 17 10:08 AM
2 FEET shock current UK diy 2 August 9th 09 01:39 PM
Feet or No Feet watchec Woodworking 0 April 26th 08 07:49 AM
Feet or No Feet [email protected] UK diy 0 April 19th 08 10:28 PM
Feet or No Feet [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 19th 08 11:09 AM