Default Garage height...8 feet or 10 feet?

I am about to start building a 24 X 28 stand alone garage/shop. I
decided against doing a course or 2 of concrete block and then 8ft
walls and I will just frame it from the pad up. So that leaves me with
the decision of 8' or 10' ceiling height. I know more space is
generally better, but if the space is for casual car repair and wood
working, is 10' really needed? anybody out there do 8' and really
regret it? It's not so much the cost that I'm worried about as I am
doing this myself and 10' will mean more work and I want to be sure its
worth it. thanks for you help.

my opinion is to go tall but thats up to you. i have 12 foot
ceiling in my 30x50 and it comes in handy quite often. lucas

HotRod

Think of it this way every sheet of plywood, 2x4 or lots of other stuff
comes in 8' lengths, try manoeuvring that around when you installed a
ceiling that is just shy of 8' when you add ceiling material etc. I wouldn't
even consider 8' and 10' is the minimum. Now in I do know of a shop that had
the roof trusses changed so that the section where the car pulls in is over
12' and the rest is 8' WORKS GREAT. Also in my area of Ontario I would put a
few rows of block down first to help keep blowing snow and rain out.

BP

Most residential garages (attached) are 9 feet + due to the even top plates
and the drop from the living area floor joists and 8' ceilings. Most garage
door tracks are set up for this height. You see 8 feet in garage-unders.
They are very cramped and the garage doors require special low-headroom
tracks.
Go 9'-4" or better.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to start building a 24 X 28 stand alone garage/shop. I
decided against doing a course or 2 of concrete block and then 8ft
walls and I will just frame it from the pad up. So that leaves me with
the decision of 8' or 10' ceiling height. I know more space is
generally better, but if the space is for casual car repair and wood
working, is 10' really needed? anybody out there do 8' and really
regret it? It's not so much the cost that I'm worried about as I am
doing this myself and 10' will mean more work and I want to be sure its
worth it. thanks for you help.

Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to start building a 24 X 28 stand alone garage/shop. I
decided against doing a course or 2 of concrete block and then 8ft
walls and I will just frame it from the pad up. So that leaves me with
the decision of 8' or 10' ceiling height. I know more space is
generally better, but if the space is for casual car repair and wood
working, is 10' really needed? anybody out there do 8' and really
regret it? It's not so much the cost that I'm worried about as I am
doing this myself and 10' will mean more work and I want to be sure its
worth it. thanks for you help.

I would go with 10'.

I would also lay up the 2 courses of block because it makes hosing out the
interior so much simpler.

Colbyt

clintonG

I couldn't agree more - lay up a couple of courses - at least one - not only
for hosing down but if there is any grass and soil present on the grounds or
any deciduous trees the bottom plate of the walls will not be subject to rot
after a couple of years when leaves are not raked and hold water from rain
or snow. The couple of courses give you all the headroom needed to drive a
van or SUV into the garage for loading and unloading. The extra cost for the
door is paid back in utility value.

%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

"Colbyt" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to start building a 24 X 28 stand alone garage/shop. I
decided against doing a course or 2 of concrete block and then 8ft
walls and I will just frame it from the pad up. So that leaves me with
the decision of 8' or 10' ceiling height. I know more space is
generally better, but if the space is for casual car repair and wood
working, is 10' really needed? anybody out there do 8' and really
regret it? It's not so much the cost that I'm worried about as I am
doing this myself and 10' will mean more work and I want to be sure its
worth it. thanks for you help.

I would go with 10'.

I would also lay up the 2 courses of block because it makes hosing out the
interior so much simpler.

Colbyt

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to start building a 24 X 28 stand alone garage/shop. I
decided against doing a course or 2 of concrete block and then 8ft
walls and I will just frame it from the pad up. So that leaves me with
the decision of 8' or 10' ceiling height. I know more space is
generally better, but if the space is for casual car repair and wood
working, is 10' really needed? anybody out there do 8' and really
regret it? It's not so much the cost that I'm worried about as I am
doing this myself and 10' will mean more work and I want to be sure its
worth it. thanks for you help.

Think about smacking into the fluorescent light tubes with long 2x4s as you
move them around. Maybe.

And, about the lack of cinder blocks: Unless you're using treated lumber at
the bottom, you might wish you'd done a course of blocks at the bottom. At
my previous house, the garage was build right on the pad. I never liked the
looks of the wood at the bottom, especially since a hard rain on one side
always caused seepage under the wood. Granted, the garage didn't have
siding, but still.....a course of blocks would've been a good thing.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
the decision of 8' or 10' ceiling height. I know more space is
generally better, but if the space is for casual car repair and wood
working, is 10' really needed? anybody out there do 8' and really
regret it?

I have a detached garage that is 9' I would never think about anything
less. Handling lumber, clearance for the door opener, ducting for a dust
collector, hanging lights, etc. You already know the answer, just do it.

HerHusband

I am about to start building a 24 X 28 stand alone garage/shop. I
decided against doing a course or 2 of concrete block and then 8ft
walls and I will just frame it from the pad up. So that leaves me with
the decision of 8' or 10' ceiling height. I know more space is
generally better, but if the space is for casual car repair and wood
working, is 10' really needed? anybody out there do 8' and really
regret it? It's not so much the cost that I'm worried about as I am
doing this myself and 10' will mean more work and I want to be sure its
worth it.

A few years ago, my wife and I built our own garage, also 24'x28'.
Originally, I had planned on a slab foundation, with 8' high walls framed
on top.

I decided against the slab foundation because there was no "easy" way to
provide a slope to the floor and still have a level perimeter for the
walls. Water dripping off the cars would either sit in the middle of the
floor, or drain towards the walls and potentially rot the sills. Hosing out
the inside would have been difficult, as I would need to stay away from the
wood walls. And, a slab would have put the exterior siding too close to the
ground, especially on our slightly sloped site.

Instead, we poured a 2' high concrete perimeter wall and footing ourselves,
and then hired a crew to come in and pour the sloped interior slab for us.
It was a bit more expensive and a little more work, but I've had no
regrets. In addition, if the slab should ever crack and need replacing, I
can easily tear it out and pour a new slab. That wouldn't be possible with
a slab foundation.

I then framed my 8' walls on top of the perimeter concrete wall. With the
thickness of the slab and a little overlap for the plywood siding, I ended
up with around 9-1/2' of interior ceiling height. But, I was still able to
use standard 8' materials (studs, plywood, sheetrock, etc.) which kept the
material costs the same.

I've used our garage mostly for woodworking, and the occasional car repair.
I can't imagine having an 8' ceiling now. I can easily flip an 8' board end
to end, or rotate a sheet of plywood on edge, without hitting the ceiling.
It also allows me to stand 8' lumber supplies on end against the walls.
This takes up a lot less space than storing them horizontally. I can stand
my 16' extension ladder (8' when closed) against the wall instead of
wasting wall space to hang it up. Even when working on cars, it's easier to
move my tall halogen worklight around without banging the ceiling. And I
would have more room to work if I needed to use a hoist to pull an engine.

Remember that whatever your ceiling height is, you'll still have lights,
garage door tracks, and maybe garage door openers sticking down below the
ceiling. My door tracks are just over 8' high, and I HAVE banged into them
several times when swinging boards around.

The only thing I would do different is pour a small curb for the side entry
door. Mine sits right on the slab, and any water that finds it's way inside
runs up against the wood frame of the door. I forsee having to replace the
door sometime in the future because the threshold will probably rot out. A
concrete curb, even just an inch or two, would have prevented this.

Anyway, go for the taller ceiling. You won't regret it.

Anthony
Rudy

is 10' really needed? anybody out there do 8'

Mine is 10' 3" with a 8' X 16' door..for the reasons all the others gave.
I agree with the foundation theory: footers and stemwalls with the sloped
floor poured after.
Thats how our last two were done but it was easier as they were "attached" &
done when the house was built

Joe

Go for the 10' height.
And don't forget to install a 8' high garage door.
I just built this house and installed a standard 7' high garage and then
bought a hi-top van................which won't go in the garage.
I made up two small wheels to put on the rear of the van so I can get it
into the garage when I work on it.

--
JerryD(upstateNY)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to start building a 24 X 28 stand alone garage/shop. I
decided against doing a course or 2 of concrete block and then 8ft
walls and I will just frame it from the pad up. So that leaves me with
the decision of 8' or 10' ceiling height. I know more space is
generally better, but if the space is for casual car repair and wood
working, is 10' really needed? anybody out there do 8' and really
regret it? It's not so much the cost that I'm worried about as I am
doing this myself and 10' will mean more work and I want to be sure its
worth it. thanks for you help.

Lil' Dave

Considering my needs for a small workshop, and intermittent SMALL car
maintenance usage, 8' high walls were fine.

Dealt with the overhead ceiling height requirements for the garage door
hardware, trolley, rails, stops, by framing a ceiling area for just that.
The rest of the ceiling is 8'.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to start building a 24 X 28 stand alone garage/shop. I
decided against doing a course or 2 of concrete block and then 8ft
walls and I will just frame it from the pad up. So that leaves me with
the decision of 8' or 10' ceiling height. I know more space is
generally better, but if the space is for casual car repair and wood
working, is 10' really needed? anybody out there do 8' and really
regret it? It's not so much the cost that I'm worried about as I am
doing this myself and 10' will mean more work and I want to be sure its
worth it. thanks for you help.

Bob G.

On 13 Jul 2005 05:11:50 -0700, wrote:

I am about to start building a 24 X 28 stand alone garage/shop. I
decided against doing a course or 2 of concrete block and then 8ft
walls and I will just frame it from the pad up. So that leaves me with
the decision of 8' or 10' ceiling height. I know more space is
generally better, but if the space is for casual car repair and wood
working, is 10' really needed? anybody out there do 8' and really
regret it? It's not so much the cost that I'm worried about as I am
doing this myself and 10' will mean more work and I want to be sure its
worth it. thanks for you help.

====================================
LOL..... YES the extra 2 feet are more then worth it....!!!!!

I have been a woodworker for 40+ years and into cars for almost as
long... my woodshot only has 8 foot ceilings and thats fine 90 percent
of the time...BUT I have had problems ....I would spend a few extra
bucks and eliminate that 10 percent right now....

My Automotive work is more then casual...and my garage has 10 foot
ceilings and I wish I had put in 12 foot ones... I have a couple of
4 post lifts and a single post lift in the garage and can walk under
any of my cars when they are raised up to just below the ceiling..
but I have to tilt my head a little or bump my head on a muffler
etc... not really problem...but can cause me to have a pin in the neck
....much better then a pain in the a$$....

I am in my 60's and spend way too many winter evenings laying under a
car on cold concrete...wish I had spent the 2-3 grand on a lift 30
years ago...Prefer 4 post to 2 post even though they are more
expensive..but the 2 post is a must have if you do a lot of brake work
or tire rotations etc...

They work out so well I .I insisted my sons build garages with 12 foot
ceilings only because they each will inherit one of the lifts...

Just my opinion...

Bob Griffiths

Bob G.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:27:08 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
wrote:

I am about to start building a 24 X 28 stand alone garage/shop. I
decided against doing a course or 2 of concrete block and then 8ft
walls and I will just frame it from the pad up. So that leaves me with
the decision of 8' or 10' ceiling height. I know more space is
generally better, but if the space is for casual car repair and wood
working, is 10' really needed? anybody out there do 8' and really
regret it? It's not so much the cost that I'm worried about as I am
doing this myself and 10' will mean more work and I want to be sure its
worth it. thanks for you help.

=======================================

As a woodworker with close to 40 years in that hobby I can tell
you that a 8 foot ceiling works just fine about 90 percent of the
time...BUT there have been enough times and projects over the years
that leads me to suggest that you drop a few extra bucks now and put
in 10 foot ceilings...Just a lot easier swinging full sheets of
plywood around...

I also play with cars...AS A hobby...everything from my own normal
oil changes to complete frame off restorations... spend way too many
winter evenings laying on cold concrete playing under a car....and I
should have purchased a lift 20 years ago...

I put in 12 foot ceilings in my garage and put in 3 lifts...a couple
of 4 posters and a 2 post lift...

Was it worth it YOU BET....

10 and a half foot would have been enough so I could walk under a car
without banging my head but the wives Mini Van made me go to a12 foot
height... actually 10 foot would work but you may have to duck under
an exhaust pipe or muffler ... you may never know when you just may
have a desire to do more then casual work on a car...

By all means go at leat 10 foot....

Bob Griffiths

My brother works on '32 Fords.
I think he has reworked his garage to give more head room.

For my part, I always use a course of block so a garage can be washed
out.

TB

Sold on 10ft. Thanks all for the great responses.

My new plan is to lay 2 courses of 8" concrete block and then use
standard 8ft studs and work with 8ft sections of wall so I can tilt
them up myself. I will use morter to lay the block, screen after first
course and then fill the second course with concrete (or morter?) with
j bolts. Do I need to fill each block on the second course? or just
the ones with the jbolts?

Bob G.

On 13 Jul 2005 19:41:57 -0700, "Harry K"

I am about to start building a 24 X 28 stand alone garage/shop. I
decided against doing a course or 2 of concrete block and then 8ft
walls and I will just frame it from the pad up. So that leaves me with
the decision of 8' or 10' ceiling height. I know more space is
generally better, but if the space is for casual car repair and wood
working, is 10' really needed? anybody out there do 8' and really
regret it? It's not so much the cost that I'm worried about as I am
doing this myself and 10' will mean more work and I want to be sure its
worth it. thanks for you help.

10ft by all means! Someone mentioned pouring 2ft kneewalls then a slab
later. Very good idea.

Doors: If using 2 doors, go for the widest you can fit. I replaced a
slider with a 8' wide a few years ago. Have kicked my ass ever since
for not going with a 9'. Had to totally reframe the front of the
garage in any case and the wider door would not have caused any extra
work or expense.

Harry K

=============================
Sorry about the double posts yesterday...lost my internet connection
and thought I lost the first post completely ...

This post is concerning the doors.... I installed roll up doors
similar to the doors found on loading docks... the cost was only a few
dollars more then a regular door....the advantage is that they do not
take up any room inside the garage ...do not hang over your head when
open etc....no tracks takling up ceiling space and do not interfer
with lights...

Bob G.

HerHusband

My new plan is to lay 2 courses of 8" concrete block

I know block is common in many parts of the country, but I really prefer
poured concrete. It's stronger, and less likely to leak, shift, or crack.
Around here we put 1/2" rebar in the footing, 1/2" rebar in the top of the
wall, and short vertical 1/2" rebar sections every 4' tying the footing and
wall together. All rebar and anchor bolts have to be wired in place and
inspected before the concrete is poured. It's practically indestructable!

Yes, you have to build the forms and take them down again afterwards, but
the actual concrete pour is usually done in less than an hour. You work
fast and hard, but it's very satisfying when you pull the forms and see the
final work.

And, you can always hire the foundation out if you're not comfortable with
that part.

Anthony
Drew Eckhardt

In article .com,
wrote:
anybody out there do 8' and really regret it?

My classic Land Cruiser FJ40 will not clear a standard door on an 8' garage
with the ski rack on.

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
In 1913 the inflation adjusted (in 2003 dollars) exemption for single people

Rich-out-West

As others have posted, I'd go 10ft. Just imagine trying to stand a
4x8 sheet of plywood on end under an 8ft ceiling - that extra 2ft will
really make a big difference. I also like the idea of at least a foot
or so of concrete at the wall bases. It will make cleanup much less of
a chore.
We just finished up sheetrock work in the attached 3-car garage
for our new house. Due to complexities in our design, we had some
walls that were framed all the way from basically floor height and
others that sat over 1ft concrete stem walls. In other words, we had
both 9 and 10 ft walls to frame. One thing that made the job easier
was getting both 1/2" CDX sheathing and drywall in 4x10 sheets.
Pre-cut studs are also available for 10ft walls (116-5/8"). Many
people don't know about 4x10 sheets of plywood. You won't find them at
the big box, but a decent lumber yard should carry them.
Finally, be careful to maintain enough room for the garage door
hardware. I had to run some ventilation ducts and plumbing waste lines
along the middle of our garage ceiling. By the time they were
soffitted in, it put a real squeeze on the door hardware. We ended up
going with low headroom tracks on all three doors and one still had no
room left for an automatic opener (no big deal right now since this
stall is essentially shop space). And if you want a really clean look,
make sure to install wires beforehand for the garage door opener
buttons and safety sensors. I luckily remembered to do this the
afternoon prior to the crew showing up to hang rock.

Richard Johnson PE
Camano Island, WA

Yes, you should tie the top course of block together, its called a bond
beam. #4 steel continueous in the top course of your stem/pony
whatever you want to call it... 48inches O.C. solid grout on your
verticle steel and at every corner or door etc....

Regarding height, I build my detached garage 24x36 with 9 foot
ceilings, BUT the car parking spot is set 4 inches lower than the
workspace at grade. So net on the lintel that spans the garage door
opening (8'x16') is 16 inches. Making the net ceiling hieght in the
car park 9'4".

Taller is better. I also want to do woodworking in my garage. In order
to capture all the dust from woodworking tools at the source, I want to
install a very good dust collector -- and I really want to install a
"cyclone" style dust collector. The problem is that the ceiling in my
garage is low and cyclone needs to be tall in order to effectively
capture all the very fine dusts (something to do with spinning down the
fine dusts to slow them down and let them fall to the dust bin at the
bottom of the cyclone). Therefore, the only place that I can position
the cyclone is in the middle of the garage where the top of the cyclone
can stick out between the trusses. But this creates other complication
that has conflict with other stuff in the garage. Consequently, I get a
regular dust collector instead of a cyclone. Unfortunately, that
regular dust collector cannot filter out as fine dust as the cyclone.
If my garage had a high ceiling, I would not have to make that
compromise.

Jay Chan

Bob G.

On 15 Jul 2005 10:17:36 -0700, wrote:

[...]

===================
Not at all hard to make your own "cyclone" ...almost any 2 Hp single
stage can be converted into a Cyclone simply by adding a trash can to
the system and buying a lid that most of the vendors sell ....No
matter what brand just get get the smallest micron size you can...
Guess it really depends on your definituion of Good vs Excellent
vs...works "pretty" good...

Run over to Alt. Rec Woodworking...the subject comes up every 3rd
day...

Bob G.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

replying to dbuckley, Joseph wrote:
Im looking to build a garage to help a friend he wants its slab of 12x20 and
to make the pitch come right off front of his house for one car personal use
if i got an 8' x 8' door what size opening would i have to fram in for it

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...eet-12534-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Oct 2017 16:44:01 GMT, Joseph
m wrote:

replying to dbuckley, Joseph wrote:
Im looking to build a garage to help a friend he wants its slab of 12x20 and
to make the pitch come right off front of his house for one car personal use
if i got an 8' x 8' door what size opening would i have to fram in for it

About yeah tall and about yeah wide is a good guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Im looking to build a garage to help a friend he wants its slab of 12x20 and
to make the pitch come right off front of his house for one car personal use
if i got an 8' x 8' door what size opening would i have to frame in for it

About yeah tall and about yeah wide is a good guess.

... dunno. for a real nice fit -
I'd frame it a tad smaller - then plane down the door.
If it's a metal door - you might need to re-sharpen your
hand plane a few times.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 12:44:06 PM UTC-4, Joseph wrote:
replying to dbuckley, Joseph wrote:
Im looking to build a garage to help a friend he wants its slab of 12x20 and
to make the pitch come right off front of his house for one car personal use
if i got an 8' x 8' door what size opening would i have to fram in for it

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...eet-12534-.htm

What do the install instructions for the door say? If you have to ask,
might not be a good idea to be doing this work for someone else. 8x8 is
an odd door size too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 04 Oct 2017 16:44:01 GMT, Joseph
m wrote:

replying to dbuckley, Joseph wrote:
Im looking to build a garage to help a friend he wants its slab of 12x20 and
to make the pitch come right off front of his house for one car personal use
if i got an 8' x 8' door what size opening would i have to fram in for it

The interesting thing that was in the back of my mind about homoaners,
that I confirmed today, is that what appears here is called a reply to
dbuckley, but it's actually what dbuckley wrote, and none of the reply
is included.

I also saw that one or more of the regular posters here is now posting
there.

I guess the off topic posts, especially the ones by burfordpjackass,
have caused them to leave.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to dbuckley, Joseph wrote:
Im looking to build a garage to help a friend he wants its slab of 12x20 and
to make the pitch come right off front of his house for one car personal use
if i got an 8' x 8' door what size opening would i have to fram in for it

The interesting thing that was in the back of my mind about homoaners,
that I confirmed today, is that what appears here is called a reply to
dbuckley, but it's actually what dbuckley wrote,

That isn't what I'm seeing. The above was written by Joseph as a reply
to an original old post from dbuckley.

and none of the reply
is included.

None of the post he's replying to is included. I've gone round and
round with Iggy from HomeMoaners on that. He does the same thing,
replies to some ancient post, doesn't quote any of it, so you have
no context, you have to go read the old post. He won't change,
he's so dumb that he claims he's not on Usenet.

What I still haven't figured out is how it is that folks at HMH
keep finding these old posts. That Iggy, dredges them up, like
the 10 year old question was asked yesterday. I asked him what
the process is that leads to that, never got an answer. I would
not be surprised it HMH is doing it, to increase traffic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to dbuckley, Joseph wrote:
Im looking to build a garage to help a friend he wants its slab of 12x20 and
to make the pitch come right off front of his house for one car personal use
if i got an 8' x 8' door what size opening would i have to fram in for it

Oh, you're right. The full text of Joseph's reply is to quote the first
3 lines of dbuckley's original post.

The interesting thing that was in the back of my mind about homoaners,
that I confirmed today, is that what appears here is called a reply to
dbuckley, but it's actually what dbuckley wrote,

That isn't what I'm seeing. The above was written by Joseph as a reply
to an original old post from dbuckley.

and none of the reply
is included.

None of the post he's replying to is included.

In this case, his entire reply is 3 lines of the the post he's replying
to. So this one might be unusual.

You're other post made it to the website, but not mine, because I
commented on their methods.

I've gone round and
round with Iggy from HomeMoaners on that. He does the same thing,
replies to some ancient post, doesn't quote any of it, so you have
no context, you have to go read the old post. He won't change,
he's so dumb that he claims he's not on Usenet.

What I still haven't figured out is how it is that folks at HMH
keep finding these old posts. That Iggy, dredges them up, like
the 10 year old question was asked yesterday. I asked him what
the process is that leads to that, never got an answer. I would
not be surprised it HMH is doing it, to increase traffic.

And I was wrong about our posters posting there recently. They were
both posts in 2005. Might even been posted from AHR.

garage drainage problem Dave G Home Repair 1 February 29th 04 07:36 PM
Garage slab slopes in Duke Home Repair 4 February 20th 04 04:05 AM
Garage Supply - Spured off house sockets? Paul K UK diy 4 January 4th 04 05:44 PM
buying a home with a new garage and no permit -- need help fast please Mail Ias Home Repair 7 October 27th 03 12:28 AM