Taller is better. I also want to do woodworking in my garage. In order
to capture all the dust from woodworking tools at the source, I want to
install a very good dust collector -- and I really want to install a
"cyclone" style dust collector. The problem is that the ceiling in my
garage is low and cyclone needs to be tall in order to effectively
capture all the very fine dusts (something to do with spinning down the
fine dusts to slow them down and let them fall to the dust bin at the
bottom of the cyclone). Therefore, the only place that I can position
the cyclone is in the middle of the garage where the top of the cyclone
can stick out between the trusses. But this creates other complication
that has conflict with other stuff in the garage. Consequently, I get a
regular dust collector instead of a cyclone. Unfortunately, that
regular dust collector cannot filter out as fine dust as the cyclone.
If my garage had a high ceiling, I would not have to make that
compromise.

Jay Chan