Bob G.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:27:08 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
wrote:

I am about to start building a 24 X 28 stand alone garage/shop. I
decided against doing a course or 2 of concrete block and then 8ft
walls and I will just frame it from the pad up. So that leaves me with
the decision of 8' or 10' ceiling height. I know more space is
generally better, but if the space is for casual car repair and wood
working, is 10' really needed? anybody out there do 8' and really
regret it? It's not so much the cost that I'm worried about as I am
doing this myself and 10' will mean more work and I want to be sure its
worth it. thanks for you help.

=======================================

As a woodworker with close to 40 years in that hobby I can tell
you that a 8 foot ceiling works just fine about 90 percent of the
time...BUT there have been enough times and projects over the years
that leads me to suggest that you drop a few extra bucks now and put
in 10 foot ceilings...Just a lot easier swinging full sheets of
plywood around...

I also play with cars...AS A hobby...everything from my own normal
oil changes to complete frame off restorations... spend way too many
winter evenings laying on cold concrete playing under a car....and I
should have purchased a lift 20 years ago...

I put in 12 foot ceilings in my garage and put in 3 lifts...a couple
of 4 posters and a 2 post lift...

Was it worth it YOU BET....

10 and a half foot would have been enough so I could walk under a car
without banging my head but the wives Mini Van made me go to a12 foot
height... actually 10 foot would work but you may have to duck under
an exhaust pipe or muffler ... you may never know when you just may
have a desire to do more then casual work on a car...

By all means go at leat 10 foot....

Bob Griffiths