Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair
Tak To Tak To is offline

Default Nearly three feet

On 11/4/2013 12:28 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 00:02:32 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 11/03/13 06:49 pm, Tony Cooper wrote:

I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

The tool is made in a country where the people's feet are much smaller
than American feet.

But the "Chinese foot" measure is actually 1.094ft.

You have obviously not purchased shoes made in certain countries
recently. If you take a size 9 in an American shoe, you will need a
size 10 or 10.5. Obviously, this is because the maker's feet were
smaller. Their lasts are based on their feet.

Which countries do you have in mind?

Based on the info at
http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_shoes_mens.htm

I can't see any shoe size measurement systems that
fit your description.

Inexpensive imported shoes are typically made to American
specs and labeled with American shoes sizes. I don't rule
out occasional snafus but systematic size-label error is
very rare.

Tak
Tak To x
[taode takto ~{LU5B~}] NB: trim the xx to get my real email addr