Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair
Tony Cooper[_2_] Tony Cooper[_2_] is offline

Default Nearly three feet

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 00:24:00 -0500, Stan Brown
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 14:51:11 -0800, Daniel Prince wrote:

I just bought a grabber from Harbor Freight Tools. On the box it
says, "Extends your reach by nearly 3 feet." I measured the
distance between the end of my thumb and the end of the grabber. The
distance was less than 28 inches. I think that something described
as "nearly" should be at least 90 percent of the size/length of what
it is being compared to. Ninety percent of 36 is 32.4.
Twenty-eight is less than 78 percent of 36.

I think that Harbor Freight Tools is being deceptive when they
describe this grabber. What do you think?

28 inches is nearer two feet than three. I agree with your
conclusion.

But I don't agree with your 90% reasoning. 90% of a mile could be
described as "nearly a mile", but I don't think 90% of 36 inches
could be described as "nearly 36 inches". "Nearly", to me, implies
that the actual measurement is close to the stated measurement AND
closer than to the next convenient division either way.

In other words, "nearly a yard", "nearly three feet", and "nearly 36
inches" are not the same measurement to me. They admit of
progressively less deviation from the exact measurement.

Just for S&G, I measured the one I purchased from Harbor Freight. It
is labeled as a 36" grabber, and it is 36" in length, but the distance
between my thumb and the tip is 32" when I hold it. It extends my
grasp about 30" since the last 2" are the gripping part.

All I can assume about the OP's claim of 28" is that he must have
extraordinarily long thumbs. He really doesn't need a grabber; he
could pick up things from the ground without even stooping over.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL