Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fire Extinguishers - when need to replace?

1) I'm a Youtube fire buff. Armchair fire chief of
sorts. Yes, I need to get a life. I've seen at least
a few videos where the guys go in with inch and a
half (now days 1 3/4) and put out the localized
fire, and save the rest of the house. Doesn't mean
it's a guaranteed total loss. OTOH, some bad tactics
and the house can be a total loss.
2) I think it's important to put the FE some where
it's not likely to get blocked by the fire. I remember
my grand mother's FE, which was mounted on the wall
behind the stove. So any kind of pan fire, and it
makes the FE impossible to get. I mentioned that at
a wee young age, but no one moved the FE.

Trivia. I remember hearing that in the UK / England,
they have taken the FE out of hallways in public
buildings. They would rather have the Queen's subjects
exit to safety, and ring the fire brigade at 999 on
the telephone. The real guys will be there -- after a
while.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/21/2013 7:41 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 06:22:01 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

In theory, the old 1 1/2 inch lines discharge about
100 GPM. A couple seconds with the nozzle might use
less than 50 gal. OTOH, that relies on the FF on the
nob to exercise discipline.

Exactly. The FF will only get out the 1-1/2" hose if it's already a
total loss. The sprinkler doesn't have that option.

I'm supposed to say "Hey, look! There is a fire
extinguisher near the door. I guess I'd better leave
the building since there's a FE near the door and
the building is on fire!". I don't really get the
connection there.

If you put it in the middle of the building people may decide to stand
and fight. Not a good idea. However, placing it at the door doesn't
do them any good either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fire Extinguishers - fixed halon systems?

Halon leaves NO residue. That's why it is used in aircraft cockpits.

I thought Halon was finally outlawed as an 'ozone' killer; however, *IF*
you have the FE, you can get it refilled, though.

I have three, one for the kitchen, so no residue to clean up.

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 03:18:36 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

It's been a lot of years since I took fire protection
courses. My memory is that halon systems need a fairly
small bit of chemical to put out fire, and there's
still plenty of air for the people.

Carbon dioxide systems work by displacing the air,
and are lethal to the humans. Perhaps this is what
you remember?

In any case, the smoke and such from the fire can
be a problem to humans.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's been a lot of years since I took fire protection
courses. My memory is that halon systems need a fairly
small bit of chemical to put out fire, and there's
still plenty of air for the people.

Carbon dioxide systems work by displacing the air,
and are lethal to the humans. Perhaps this is what
you remember?

In any case, the smoke and such from the fire can
be a problem to humans.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

My understanding is that Halon is no longer produced; any that you're
going to find is old stock.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 9/20/2013 8:31 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:31:50 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Anyone here, besides myself, ever work in a place that used Halon
fire suppression systems in an area?

Is halon still used in new systems? I thought they outlawed it.
CFC's.

I have no clue. I did work in an area in ~1992. A "Control Center"
above a basement with sensitive equipment below for the entire
facility.

Policy required that a person NOT abandon the control center. Also
required a second person to open a second exterior (sally port entry)
door that required a push button to get out in emergency without a
second person to open the outside door with a key.

Given this, you could possibly die if the system activated in a fire.
ISTR halon takes all the oxygen from the room space (size of a single
garage).

Not sure if the system has been changed since then. You could not
knock the security glass to escape.

Halon systems are designed to dump to certain
level above the floor. IIRC 4' Therefore provide
breathing air to occupants. The are also complex
to design and build because the doors must be
sealed and ceiling tiles must be clipped to keep
them from blowing out. All penetrations must be
sealed but that is code anyway...

The system I was in on installing was designed to fill the air with a 5%
concentration of Halon 1301 which was nontoxic at that level to humans.
On the other hand, the system was tested with Halon 1211 which
is very toxic. The 1301 was used used rather than CO2 which would
smother any personnel who happened to be in the facility when fire broke
out. ^_^

TDD

Not if stumped used his majik undies to filter it.
Ahh the aroma of comet.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Commercial grade fire extinguishers are required to be inspected by a licensed inspector annually. They require a 6 year maintenance and a 12 year hydro test. Any dry chemical FE manufactured prior to October 1984 should be replaced as these FE's no longer meet current code standards. You NEVER want to just squeeze the lever a little bit to see if they still work because doing so will slowly release all the explant gas and render the FE useless when you later might need it. If there is no visual damage to the unit, the gauge is in the green, the hose is unobstructed, you can weigh the FE and make sure it's gross weight is within the range on the label.
Most home use FE's are a one-time use FE that CANNOT be serviced or recharged and should be replaced every 12 years.
When it comes to fire safety, all it takes is one time. If the fire is small enough to put out with your FE, a catastrophe can easily be avoided. The cost of a couple FE's for your home or business is a small price to pay. If the fire is too big, leave it to the fire department and save your life..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 21:03:48 -0500, philo wrote:

I have one on each floor of the house.

I have split garages, one each FE sits just inside the garage side
doors (hall & kitchen). Also one under the kitchen sink.

Also: I'm on the same block as the fire department.

Those two things give me a discount on my home insurance.

My agent gave a discount on premiums because a fire hydrant was X
number of feet from a home (north and south corners)

Worth checking into.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/5/2015 1:48 PM, Oren wrote:
Also: I'm on the same block as the fire department.

Those two things give me a discount on my home insurance.

My agent gave a discount on premiums because a fire hydrant was X
number of feet from a home (north and south corners)

Worth checking into.

I remember being asked if it was 300 feet or less.

Ought offer discounts for non smokers. That's one
major fire cause.

Don't believe anyone has asked about FE at my place,
nor asked if I'm a former fire fighter and taken some
state certificate courses in fire fighting.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2015 1:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

Some wisdom in what you write.

A couple years ago, I took a couple very old Fyr Fyter
units out of a couple trailers. No pressure gage, just
a push button on one, not sure about the other. I
figured they were useless. Tried them out later (outdoors
on a fire in a burn barrel). Both were about 20 years old,
and both functioned as designed. I was astounded. I'm
also pleased that the trailers havd new Kidde units.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
..
www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/05/2015 08:49 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

A couple years ago, I took a couple very old Fyr Fyter
units out of a couple trailers. No pressure gage, just
a push button on one, not sure about the other. I
figured they were useless. Tried them out later (outdoors
on a fire in a burn barrel). Both were about 20 years old,
and both functioned as designed. I was astounded. I'm
also pleased that the trailers havd new Kidde units.

And someday maybe we'll make buildings out of materials that don't burn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I was just moving things, looking at an extinguisher. Took it out back and
sprayed. Shoots out a strong stream of liquid. Not for electrical it says.
I'm not going to squirt it at a grease stove fire. AB rated. No guage

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2015 4:25 AM, Senator Pocketstuffer wrote:
On 04/05/2015 08:49 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

A couple years ago, I took a couple very old Fyr Fyter
units out of a couple trailers. No pressure gage, just
a push button on one, not sure about the other. I
figured they were useless. Tried them out later (outdoors
on a fire in a burn barrel). Both were about 20 years old,
and both functioned as designed. I was astounded. I'm
also pleased that the trailers havd new Kidde units.

And someday maybe we'll make buildings out of materials that don't burn.

Asbestos?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2015 4:57 AM, gregz wrote:
I was just moving things, looking at an extinguisher. Took it out back and
sprayed. Shoots out a strong stream of liquid. Not for electrical it says.
I'm not going to squirt it at a grease stove fire. AB rated. No guage

Greg

AB rated is likely loaded scream. It's designed for
grease stove fires. If used properly.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair
Gil Gil is offline

On 4/6/2015 4:25 AM, Senator Pocketstuffer wrote:
On 04/05/2015 08:49 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

A couple years ago, I took a couple very old Fyr Fyter
units out of a couple trailers. No pressure gage, just
a push button on one, not sure about the other. I
figured they were useless. Tried them out later (outdoors
on a fire in a burn barrel). Both were about 20 years old,
and both functioned as designed. I was astounded. I'm
also pleased that the trailers havd new Kidde units.

And someday maybe we'll make buildings out of materials that don't burn.

They already do in many cases. The problem is the contents that burn.

Gil

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gil" wrote in message

And someday maybe we'll make buildings out of materials that don't burn.

They already do in many cases. The problem is the contents that burn.

That is one thing that puzzles me. The way some of the buildings burn.
They seem to be made of concrete and steel. I guess that the inside walls
are made of materials that do burn ? It does look like they should be
designed so a fire would not spread from one floor or area to another.
Living in a small town, I just can not think how it would be to live in some
of the buildings that hold almost as many people as a small town would have.
Staying in a hotel for a week or so is one thing, but not living there all
the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fire Extinguishers - when need to replace? Ratings

Oren posted for all of us...

On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 21:03:48 -0500, philo wrote:

I have one on each floor of the house.

I have split garages, one each FE sits just inside the garage side
doors (hall & kitchen). Also one under the kitchen sink.

Also: I'm on the same block as the fire department.

Those two things give me a discount on my home insurance.

My agent gave a discount on premiums because a fire hydrant was X
number of feet from a home (north and south corners)

Worth checking into.

The ISO (Insurance Standards Organization) does the ratings for this using
manpower, hydrants, equipment, etc. The municipality can request a re-rating
(IIRC) every 6 years. It should be shown on your policy. A paid dept may get
the the lowest -1- while a volunteer may get a 6 (at best).

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery posted for all of us...

"Gil" wrote in message

And someday maybe we'll make buildings out of materials that don't burn.

They already do in many cases. The problem is the contents that burn.

That is one thing that puzzles me. The way some of the buildings burn.
They seem to be made of concrete and steel. I guess that the inside walls
are made of materials that do burn ? It does look like they should be
designed so a fire would not spread from one floor or area to another.
Living in a small town, I just can not think how it would be to live in some
of the buildings that hold almost as many people as a small town would have.
Staying in a hotel for a week or so is one thing, but not living there all
the time.

Paint, plastic, carpets, paper all go. Masonry block walls become unstable
when exposed to fire and ff's must set up a collapse zone. Wooden trusses at
the joint plates fail catastrophically. Sometimes you will see a triangle by
the main door with a R or F in it showing trusses.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fire Extinguishers - when need to replace? NOW

gregz posted for all of us...

I was just moving things, looking at an extinguisher. Took it out back and
sprayed. Shoots out a strong stream of liquid. Not for electrical it says.
I'm not going to squirt it at a grease stove fire. AB rated. No guage

Greg

Not now; but why not use it on a grease fire? Did you replace it? It
probably adds a D raring to it now.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair
Gil Gil is offline

"Gil" wrote in message

[...]

Yup, that's the sad fact that most people don't realize. Despite
building construction standards most materials will deteriorate when
exposed to intense heat for a prolonged period of time. Having been a
full time firefighter for 28 years (now retired for some years) I'm a
strong believer in automatic sprinkler systems in all buildings
including single family residences. The NFPA standards are there and
have been for years. What needs to be done now is to convince people
that it's in their best interest to have sprinklers which would prevent
a hell of a lot of residential and other fire related deaths each year.

Gil

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2015 9:30 PM, Gil wrote:
Yup, that's the sad fact that most people don't realize. Despite
building construction standards most materials will deteriorate when
exposed to intense heat for a prolonged period of time. Having been a
full time firefighter for 28 years (now retired for some years) I'm a
strong believer in automatic sprinkler systems in all buildings
including single family residences. The NFPA standards are there and
have been for years. What needs to be done now is to convince people
that it's in their best interest to have sprinklers which would prevent
a hell of a lot of residential and other fire related deaths each year.

Gil

Do you wish to speak to the "flood the building" and
"water damage" myths?

hands microphone

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair
Gil Gil is offline

On 4/6/2015 10:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/6/2015 9:30 PM, Gil wrote:
Yup, that's the sad fact that most people don't realize. Despite
building construction standards most materials will deteriorate when
exposed to intense heat for a prolonged period of time. Having been a
full time firefighter for 28 years (now retired for some years) I'm a
strong believer in automatic sprinkler systems in all buildings
including single family residences. The NFPA standards are there and
have been for years. What needs to be done now is to convince people
that it's in their best interest to have sprinklers which would prevent
a hell of a lot of residential and other fire related deaths each year.

Gil

Do you wish to speak to the "flood the building" and
"water damage" myths?

Nah! The people who believe in that stuff have seen too many movies and
don't understand how sprinklers work.

hands microphone

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2015 9:30 PM, Gil wrote:
Yup, that's the sad fact that most people don't realize. Despite
building construction standards most materials will deteriorate when
exposed to intense heat for a prolonged period of time. Having been a
full time firefighter for 28 years (now retired for some years) I'm a
strong believer in automatic sprinkler systems in all buildings
including single family residences. The NFPA standards are there and
have been for years. What needs to be done now is to convince people
that it's in their best interest to have sprinklers which would prevent
a hell of a lot of residential and other fire related deaths each year.

Gil

Do you wish to speak to the "flood the building" and
"water damage" myths?

Nah! The people who believe in that stuff have seen too many movies and
don't understand how sprinklers work.

+1 In one local town, sprinklers are now required in homes of 5000 sq.
ft. or more in new construction.

A work around - "Do you wish to speak to the "flood the building" and
"water damage"

Tampering with a sprinkler in a prison cell results in flooding,
towels under the door to stop the flood and a white male prisoner
'looking' "black" after he activated a head from an old black iron
pipe system. He was dirty from head to toe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2015 9:30 PM, Gil wrote:
Yup, that's the sad fact that most people don't realize. Despite
building construction standards most materials will deteriorate when
exposed to intense heat for a prolonged period of time. Having been a
full time firefighter for 28 years (now retired for some years) I'm a
strong believer in automatic sprinkler systems in all buildings
including single family residences. The NFPA standards are there and
have been for years. What needs to be done now is to convince people
that it's in their best interest to have sprinklers which would prevent
a hell of a lot of residential and other fire related deaths each year.

Gil

Do you wish to speak to the "flood the building" and
"water damage" myths?

Nah! The people who believe in that stuff have seen too many movies and
don't understand how sprinklers work.

And, they don't listen to real people who
really know the facts. What a shame.

-
..
Christopher A. Young