Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fire Extinguishers - when need to replace?

1) I'm a Youtube fire buff. Armchair fire chief of
sorts. Yes, I need to get a life. I've seen at least
a few videos where the guys go in with inch and a
half (now days 1 3/4) and put out the localized
fire, and save the rest of the house. Doesn't mean
it's a guaranteed total loss. OTOH, some bad tactics
and the house can be a total loss.
2) I think it's important to put the FE some where
it's not likely to get blocked by the fire. I remember
my grand mother's FE, which was mounted on the wall
behind the stove. So any kind of pan fire, and it
makes the FE impossible to get. I mentioned that at
a wee young age, but no one moved the FE.

Trivia. I remember hearing that in the UK / England,
they have taken the FE out of hallways in public
buildings. They would rather have the Queen's subjects
exit to safety, and ring the fire brigade at 999 on
the telephone. The real guys will be there -- after a
while.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/21/2013 7:41 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 06:22:01 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

In theory, the old 1 1/2 inch lines discharge about
100 GPM. A couple seconds with the nozzle might use
less than 50 gal. OTOH, that relies on the FF on the
nob to exercise discipline.

Exactly. The FF will only get out the 1-1/2" hose if it's already a
total loss. The sprinkler doesn't have that option.

I'm supposed to say "Hey, look! There is a fire
extinguisher near the door. I guess I'd better leave
the building since there's a FE near the door and
the building is on fire!". I don't really get the
connection there.

If you put it in the middle of the building people may decide to stand
and fight. Not a good idea. However, placing it at the door doesn't
do them any good either.